Past-Life Regression

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Re: Past-Life Regression

Post by Julehart1 »

It depends on what people believe. Some believe in past-life regression so would probably find it more believable to read about it. Others just don't believe in it, so just consider it fantasy. I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think it's very realistic but it could be possible. The book depicted it pretty well but it wasn't my favorite part of the story.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 18:17
Kendra M Parker wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:12
bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
I think it definitely treads the line of fantasy. It's done in a way that is pretty generic, in my opinion, but I'm a fantasy nut.
Generic! I can't think of a better way to describe it. What if Angela had been Gerard in her past life? Now that could have turned up the interesting factor in this book.
Now, that would have been interesting! Mixing up the genders or doing something wild like that could have made this book into something very different,

I’m enjoying the book, but I can’t say that it is anything absolutely fabulous in any of the genres it touches (fantasy, thriller, romance). Together it just makes for an enjoyable book.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Past-life regression is not something we see every day and it felt a little unrealistic in the book. It is an element of fantasy for me.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Past-life regression is typically undertaken either in pursuit of a spiritual experience, or in a psychotherapeutic setting.
ChrisChatfield
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrischatfield.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by ChrisChatfield »

I suppose its a delicate balance between leaving things up to interpretation and explaining the plot clearly. Unfortunately, the books I've read that are trying for the discussion you mentioned end up being too ambiguous to do anything with...or there is symbolism that would be impossible for the common Joe to pick up on. Basically, it has to be explained enough to have an actual conversation.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I don't believe in past life regression and anything like it. The eyes in a painting moving? That's creepy and very unrealistic.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I think not many people believe in reincarnation and regression theory, so this might not seem realistic to most. I'm not so sure myself, however, there is this form of psychiatry where they try to probe and permeate your subconscious mind and figure out the reason behind your problems in the present, linking them to the past. Like I said, not really sure if this works.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

My response to this kind of stuff in reality is utter incredulity, and I'm not too forgiving of it in fiction, either. The author definitely had a job in getting me on board, and didn't really manage it in the slightest.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

it appears to me that putting the past life regression concept in the story was required to give some revelation and justification of the events in the storyline. that is how the story gets more appealing
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I would have enjoyed the book more without the supernatural element brought in.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I enjoy the inclusion of the connection Alex and Angela have to their past lives, but I think they were too quick to accept that that was what was going on. I don't think everyone would assume they were going crazy, but I would expect a healthy dose of skepticism. Overall, I enjoyed the link between the characters in different centuries but wish the characters had shown more skepticism and hesitation in accepting that they were linked to their past lives and they were "eternal lovers."
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 06:55 Well, the past-life interludes were not exactly realistic to me. In many instances, I had the impression Alex treated everything too carelessly and light-heartedly. Besides, he does not seem to have any problem in Angela kissing him during her trance episodes. Did you notice that the action takes place between August 3 and September 15? Let's say they were lovers in other lives and their instant connection is explainable as such. However, there are too many things happening too fast over a very short period of time. I would have liked the past-life episodes to be much more detailed for the story to gain credibility.
I'm glad you pointed out the time frame. I probably would not have noticed that. One of my peeves about romance in stories is how the characters are always conveniently attracted to each other. I wish everyone I knew was so attractive! I realize there is a reason that it is written that way but oftentimes I wish for something a little more realistic. Some hesitation and a "getting to know you" period before having sex, moving in together, or professing their love would be nice.

I didn't care for how Alex was so enthralled and involved when Angela kissed him the first time in the trance-like state, and he didn't even know her. But then he doesn't want to take advantage of her in her fragile state? MMMM....we are lacking some consistency here.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I have a sense that the past-life regressions are completely unrealistic. From what little I know about the real spiritual beliefs surrounding reincarnation, this type of "possession" does not happen. The scene involving Angela's regression memory of Sophia having sex with Max was particularly vulgar. (I suspect people who believe in reincarnation are not expecting to relive orgasms from past lives.)

There are other ways the author could have handled this part of the story. For instance, Angela could have simply received her second-sight through a dream. Or a more typical psychic connection. Even just a visit from a ghosts would have been better. Or here's an idea. Since Angela is supposedly an art historian and Alex is an art detective, maybe they could have worked out the mystery in a more academic way. But of course, that would have meant more work for the author, since she would have had to do some research on her own. And that might have left her little time to work on the profound sex scenes that dominate the novel.

The reincarnation past-life regression angle is sloppy and uninspired and I just don't think it works.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Everyone has a different belief system. If you don't belive in past-life regression you would probably think it hokey. However, if you do believe in it then it was handled quite well...in my humble opinion.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Past-life regression isn't a common feature in most reads. It is a risk as it can easily run into fantasy

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”