Review by KasieMiehlke -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by KasieMiehlke -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natalie Campbell is fighting many things in her life. She is fighting racism as a biracial teenager. She is fighting against her alcoholic stepfather in order to protect her mother and younger brother who suffers from an intellectual disability. She is fighting against everything she sees as right as she falls in love with a married man. She is fighting against her family's level in society to achieve her dream of becoming a painter. Ironbark Hill is told from a middle aged Natalie as she looks back on her life the year she was sixteen.

The characters are all captured greatly throughout this book. The author does a great job at including the dialects of the characters when they are speaking. The characters, especially Natalie, all grow throughout the story. They learn about life and love, and adjust their lives accordingly. The story takes place in a year’s time frame, but the way each individual is described makes it seem like it is much longer.

The layout of the book makes it read similar to Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Color Purple. The narrator is the main character that is remembering her past. She details her struggles and emotions as if it happened yesterday. The author, Jennie Linnane, uses a great choice of words to paint a picture. This makes it feel as if the story is being written exactly as it is being told by Natalie, whose hobby is painting landscapes. I can see this book becoming a classic in years to come.

Linnane does a great job at making the characters relatable. The way she describes their feelings and emotions during each event really draws the reader in. She allows the readers to feel like the love, loss, betrayal, and acceptance happen to them instead of the characters. There were several times I found myself so engulfed in the story that I felt as if the emotions were flowing through my own body.

I give Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane 4 out of 4 stars. It is a great book that can become a classic easily. It reads similar to the works of Zora Neal Hurston and Alice Walker. Linnane develops great character growth and development in a short span of time. The use of dialects, while a little tough to follow at the beginning, transports the reader directly into the story. The story is short enough to be read in one sitting and written well enough that it will be read in one sitting. I recommend this book for anyone that enjoys a strong female main character. I could not put this book down and I believe you won’t be able to either.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Just added this book to my bookshelf. Definitely seems like something I would enjoy reading! I hope I have an equally emotional experience reading this.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

great review, this has got me very eager to read this now. I seem to have the misfortune to keep picking up books with really weak characters.
It's a relief to hear that in this book they're well written and well rounded, and most importantly relate-able. thanks for such a glowing review.
AYODEJIOlolade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AYODEJIOlolade »

Awesome write up. I can't just wait to read this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”