Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Re: Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by daniya__shah3 »

To be honest, that's the first thing that came to my mind, it could be a developed strategy to aid in the marketing of the book. However, I don't think of it as being unethical since it doesn't relate to recreation of Vinci's art, it's a narrative trying to find the missing painting.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I was flabbergasted when it dawned on me that da Vinci, personally, has nothing to do with the plot. Who is "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci", when he doesn't appear in the book?

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it unethical, but it does lower my opinion of the author even further than the writing already did.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I don't like that the painter's name was used in the title. Although the missing painting was done by him, he is an extemely minor character in the story. I also feel the title is misleading. It makes the reader assume the book is about a girl who knew da Vinci. Technically, Fioretta knew him, but that part of the plot is minor. I think the author used da Vinci's name in the title to benefit from the success of Dan Brown's book. It's the same thing with the central plot of searching for a missing piece of art. Although the rest of the story is original, I don't like it when an author capitalizes on another author's success.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

may be that author wanted a storyline which is mix of present day life and historical mystics in which Da Vinci code mystery is well known to many, so thats why he included
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Lundemelia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lundemelia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lundemelia »

It's clear to see that it is a marketing strategy, his name is used to draw in prospective readers who are interested in him. Although I wouldn't say its unethical.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I have to admit that my initial interest in this book was a result of the obvious attempt to make readers think about The Da Vinci Code. I really enjoyed that book and anything that claims to be "in the spirit" of something I already enjoyed is bound to capture my interest. I in no way expected Ami's writing to be the same as Brown's, but I did want to see what was meant by "in the spirit of." I don't think there is anything wrong with using da Vinci's name in the title. The first book I reviewed is called Breaking Sandcastles. That title related back to a theme of the book, but I wouldn't say that was the most relevant title possible. But it managed to make me think about it and wonder what does it mean...? Not all titles are immediately obvious or are linked to the most obvious theme, plot point, or character. The title of this book provoked interest from multiple angles. I wouldn't say it is unethical. It is clear this is not a book by Dan Brown so anyone assuming any similarity is responsible for any connection they expect that may not pan out.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Dael Reader wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 11:47
cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:57
Dael Reader wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:00 I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
You may be right about that, but think of the resemblance between the cover of this book and that of Dan Brown's book. Such a resemblance coupled with da Vinci's name in the title induces the idea that the two books are similar. In this case, fans of Dan Brown would be quick to check it out. I did the same only to discover they are completely different in terms of the writing style as well as character and plot development. This is the reason why I called it a potential marketing strategy and I wondered whether it was ethical or not.
Dael Reader wrote: I see what you mean now. You're right, it is reminiscent of the Dan Brown cover and very much could be a potential marketing strategy. Which does make the author seem bit sneaky. I personally would not do such a thing, but unethical is a strong term.

I thought the same thing when I saw the cover of this book. It definitely reminded me of Dan Brown's and I do not think the usage of da Vinci in the title is a coincidence. Clearly this is a marketing strategy hoping to target fans of Dan Brown's book to pick up a copy. I don't think there's anything uethical about trying to appeal to the masses though.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

Dolor wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 20:59 Since da Vinci is a very well-known artist, it might spark as a marketing strategy but there's nothing unethical in doing so despite the fact that the author is using his name. I agree with what Dael Reader said, "The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together."
I do agree with you. It is an obvious marketing strategy, but nothing unethical about it. Besides, the mention of da Vinci was what piqued my interest in the first place.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

The cover of the book is very close to the cover of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown which would trick a lot of casual readers into picking it up. I think it was a good strategy on the part of the marketing team for this book. I don't think it's unethical though. I've picked up many books because the cover looked similar to something that I liked already hoping that I would like that book too. And the book IS about a missing da Vinci so the name makes sense.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I don´t think it´s unethical, but it´s clearly a marketing strategy to appeal to all the The Da Vinci Code fans. I actually don´t like the cover at all, I don´t think it really exploits all that this book has to offer (and it´s a very good book, in my opinion) and all of Ami´s original work and it just makes it look like another The Da Vinci Code knockoff, which is not.
its bri
Currently Reading: Fifteen Greek Plays
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-its-bri.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by its bri »

Although ‘clickbate’ is a growing and accepted thing I do not think it is something that should be applied to books. People take titles and book covers often into consideration while looking for a book to read and if it is portrayed as something that it is not that could be quite frustrating.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

All writers have to market their books if they are hoping to sell any. If Da Vinci is a part of the story, why shouldn't it be reflected in the title?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

dtb wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 15:49 All writers have to market their books if they are hoping to sell any. If Da Vinci is a part of the story, why shouldn't it be reflected in the title?
I agree writers should market their books. Still, I felt the da Vinci tie-in was a very minor part of the story. As a result, the name on the cover felt like a bait and switch. The historical elements were much less than him than about the couples in the two eras.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

dtb wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 15:49 All writers have to market their books if they are hoping to sell any. If Da Vinci is a part of the story, why shouldn't it be reflected in the title?
Because it heavily implies that da Vinci will actually play a part in the book. He's basically entirely absent. It's like if JK Rowling named her famous series "Merlin and the..." he's part of the story, right? Characters mention him occasionally, after all?

This is just bad praxis on the part of the author. Titles and covers exist to attract readers that will enjoy your book; they're not bait to be spread as widely as possible. This has immediately gotten her onto my black list, and I bet a good few others feel the same way.
benmuigai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by benmuigai »

since da Vinci is well known it works as a marketing strategy and also bring the characters together.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”