Official Review: Identity 3.0 by Raymond Reed Hardy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Identity 3.0 by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Identity 3.0" by Raymond Reed Hardy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Identity 3.0: Cutting Edge Personal Development for America’s Baby Boomers focuses on how to uncover one’s true self by exploring personal development theories and participating in growth practices. Raymond Reed Hardy has 30 years of college teaching experience devoted to personal development, and gives the reader access to his research in this 165-page book (Kindle edition).

The book is actually two books rolled into one. The first book is dedicated to a review of the historical headliners in the field of psychology. Referencing the works of Freud, Jung, Skinner, and Rogers, among others, and highlighting various practices and research, Hardy explains the theories that constitute the way a person is molded into adulthood. Based on certain social and moral constructs, growth reaches a point, then ceases, often times remaining on an “as is” basis for the duration of life. In order to continue the process of self-actualization, one needs to embark on a journey of discovery, choosing to acknowledge the shadow facets of their character. Hardy provides advice for getting started on the journey and offers tips for gathering resources and staying on track.

The second book aims to provide “growth-catalyzing exercises.” Hardy starts by examining the “Id” and “superego” more closely so that the reader may understand the tug of war inside their brain and begin to find a balance. From there, he delves into practices that require an earnest effort of self-control and self-discovery. These techniques are primarily designed to be performed in a group setting with a facilitator, and can assist in promoting a sense of awareness for the participants. Some techniques strategically diminish the defense mechanism while others get to the source of long-standing self-judgements that begin at a young age and go unchallenged into adulthood.

I most enjoyed that Hardy uses a variety of principles to approach the process whereby one can achieve personal growth. Rather than just relying on his favorite contributor to the world of psychology, he incorporates many theories. As I read, I noted a practicality to the exercises and gained an understanding of the relevance of exploring one’s full identity. I also liked that the methods are tried and true, with years of experience corroborating Hardy's insights. Especially interesting is his intended audience: the baby boomer generation, who are sure to find this book helpful as they transition into retirement.

I would only recommend this book to a reader determined to explore another dimension of themselves. It is a book based on participation and would be especially illuminating in a group of individuals sharing the common goal of self-discovery. Without the practices, the book can only offer insight into the historical observations of psychology as they relate to personal growth and identity. I have rated the book 3 out of 4 stars, as I noted more than ten errors in grammar and punctuation.

Identity 3.0
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It seems like Hardy did a LOT of reasesrch going into this. I like that the first part of the book gives the reader the psychological backing for his theoies.
Thanks so much for the thorough review 😊
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This sounds like an academic book for those who are in psychology field with historical headliners complemented with the theories and I find this book is to be appealing when you mentioned "I would only recommend this book to a reader determined to explore another dimension of themselves."
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this definitely sounds like a well researched book. It's a bit too heavy and psychological for me. Having never been a fan of that kind of thing nor Freud or any of the others, I'm going to skip this one. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Anything that deals with Psychology greatly interests me a lot; so I will be reading this one the soonest! Thank you for the nice review.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'm interested in both the theoretical and practical parts of the book. I've read many books of psychology and pedagogy over the years. You've already got my interest when you mentioned Freud, Yung, Skinner and Rogers. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! This seems like a read that will provoke introspection, which I like, but at the same time, it also seems slightly heavy for me.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your very revealing review. I am interested in anything that will aid my personal growth, therefore, I will read this for the future.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Thanks for the thorough review. Growth books are not for me. I'll pass on this one.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Sounds well-researched and unique, but a bit dry for my taste. Great review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a well executed read after all it is based on a research of his own. A research has a lot to contribute despite the outcome. Thank you for the introduction!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Exploring one’s full identity for personal growth would be a challenging concept for some to embrace, but I believe there would be substantial benefits to approaching this with an open mind. True personal growth necessitates deep self-analysis. Nice review!
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 06:08 It seems like Hardy did a LOT of reasesrch going into this. I like that the first part of the book gives the reader the psychological backing for his theoies.
Thanks so much for the thorough review 😊
I liked the background info as well. Thanks for your comment! :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 07:03 This sounds like an academic book for those who are in psychology field with historical headliners complemented with the theories and I find this book is to be appealing when you mentioned "I would only recommend this book to a reader determined to explore another dimension of themselves."
It certainly has a lot to offer, especially when looking for a place to start the self-discovery process. Thanks for commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 08:16 Well, this definitely sounds like a well researched book. It's a bit too heavy and psychological for me. Having never been a fan of that kind of thing nor Freud or any of the others, I'm going to skip this one. Thanks for the information, though.
Haha! I know what you mean. Personally, I'm not big on Freud at all. Thanks for your comment! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”