I don't like the cover page picture

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Re: I don't like the cover page picture

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think he photo on the book cover falls under candid photography. The author may have deliberately sought or taken the photo himself. Maybe he wanted the image of the sword swallower in his most natural element.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

The cover is definitely very surprising but I found it intriguing! I can see why it would turn off some people though. It is a bold choice!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

You are not the only one! I don't like the book cover at all. It looks like not a lot of thought went into it. I know we are not supposed to judge books by their covers, but the sad truth is that we do. If it hadn't been for the many good reviews the book got, I would have never given it a second glance.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I think it is a neat picture but I don't like it as a cover picture. This cover looks like a picture that a tourist took while on vacation.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I don't like the cover page too. But I'm eager to know how the sword swallower does it.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

trulyfreeclub wrote: 30 May 2018, 19:48 Is it just me or others feel the same way too?

To tell you honestly, my first impression with the picture as cover page for the book is not very alluring. I'm not trying to judge the character of the author nor the picture of the man in tattoos, but I find it disturbing to put it on cover page.

First, it scares a lot of people to see someone swallowing a sword, including me.
Second, I don't think this book is intended for kids of all ages.
Third, I would surely not try to read this book.
Lastly, inasmuch as I don't like circus and tattoos, I do hope people would read this book by Gary Robinson.

Thank you for taking time to read my post! Kudos to the author for such bold writing. :)
Initially, I was not interested in this book because of the cover. It was the title that drew my interest.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

It's not just the cover, the title is a bit off putting too. However, I'm trying to avoid judging it by that and have added this one to my TBR piles. Let's see if it's a good one.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Kat Berg wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:09
ValBookReviews wrote: 31 May 2018, 22:17 Sorry to hear that because I like the revised book cover and find that it matches well with the premise of the story, thus, "the sword swallower".
I, too, like the revised book cover. I did not like the original. It seemed unprofessional. I don't find the cover scary, although I cannot imagine how on earth someone decided that swallowing a sword was a good idea in the first place. But, as others have said, it does show what, at least in part, the book is about.
Indeed! Very well stated! #goodpoint #greatopinion
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

it seemed little awkward at first glance of the cover of the book, however , the author may have used the cover page to portray the central scene of the story
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Lundemelia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lundemelia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lundemelia »

I agree. I think the man swallowing the sword on the front page is disturbing. Going off the front page of the book I can say that it didn't entice me, or particularly made me want to read the book.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The cover looked to me like a film poster. I don't like seeing actual photographs as covers myself. And I actually do judge a book by its cover, at least initially. So, I don't think you're wrong. Just like first impressions with people, we are influenced by covers. So, this one was a bit of a turn off for me, but it is an interesting story and I don't think it should be avoided simply because of the gruesome pictorial representation on the front.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

The cover picture is not entirely fitting, I noticed that too. But because it showed the real picture of Duke himself, I felt it's ok, since that could be only picture the author could get his hands on. But if it's not the real picture of Duke, then I don't see why such an unsightly picture had to be used on the cover.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

The cover page of the book is somewhat violent-like but once you read the book I believe you will get to understand the picture.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 04:04 It's not just the cover, the title is a bit off putting too. However, I'm trying to avoid judging it by that and have added this one to my TBR piles. Let's see if it's a good one.
I also had some hesitation of reading this book but after reading the amazon sample, I was really moved in by the author's writing style. It is quite fascinating.
v_for_vincent
Favorite Book: Good to Great
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by v_for_vincent »

scratchcat318 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 10:17
v_for_vincent wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 14:21
scratchcat318 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 20:13 I agree. I really didn't care much for the cover, either. I do like the color scheme that the cover has, with its reds, grays, and blacks, but the image itself wasn't the best. It also really bothers me that the title of the book covers up most of the sword. Would it really have been hard to move the image down or move the text to a better location? It makes it hard to see what he's actually doing when half the sword he's swallowing is covered up.
The cover shows the story, there are two covers but the one with the knife has a stronger message for those seeing the book for the first time.
How does it have a stronger message? What do you mean by that?
The sword doesn't need to be in the cover showing everybody thinks motifs are supposed to but hiding it is a great great till the end.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”