Official Review: The Darkest Hour by Jasmin Quinn

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Official Review: The Darkest Hour by Jasmin Quinn

Post by kemp1kor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkest Hour" by Jasmin Quinn.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Injured and on the run from the Russian mafia, Dean finds himself holed up with the beautiful and distracting Kelsie. Forced to hold Kelsie captive, his lust for her threatens to destroy them both.

Kelsie is stuck in a rut when Dean comes crashing into her life. He’s gorgeous and intriguing, but also forceful and unyielding. She doesn't know what to make of him, but she could use some excitement in her life. Trust doesn’t come easily, but if they don’t take a chance on each other, they may not make it out alive.

As they grow closer, Kelsie and Dean must reevaluate who can be trusted. Someone has given them up to the Russians, and Dean must make a choice that could affect the rest of his life—if he survives.

Book one in the Running with the Devil series, The Darkest Hour is a romantic suspense novel by Jasmin Quinn. The story is written using the third person omniscient point of view. In some ways I found this helpful, as it gave me some insight into the characters, but it could have been better executed. I was privy to not only Dean’s and Kelsie’s thoughts and emotions, often switching between them from one paragraph to the next, but even minor characters had brief scenes in which their thoughts were transparent. When using that particular point of view, I prefer to have some separation when jumping between characters’ heads. Waiting until the end of a scene or until the next chapter would help the story to flow more smoothly.

As with pretty much any book, there were aspects that I enjoyed and those that I really didn’t. Kelsie was—for the most part—a strong and caring counterpart to the unpredictable and sometimes downright unlikeable Dean. Kelsie’s fear was apparent, especially in the beginning, but there were no hysterics despite the precarious situation in which she found herself, and I was impressed with her resilience. Dean was aggressive and crude, dishing out threats and verbal abuse despite the fact that he was easily able to overpower Kelsie, even while injured. He did have some redeeming qualities, but they were few and far between, which had me constantly questioning my feelings about his character. These personalities remained fairly consistent throughout the book, although there were rare moments where Dean’s softer—emphasis on the -er—side was visible.

What I enjoyed most was the feeling of suspense. The motivations of every character were in question, and even I couldn’t figure out who could be trusted. The relationship between Dean and Kelsie, however, left something to be desired. I failed to see a believable progression from captive and captor to man and woman in love, especially since the whole thing happened within just a few days. What I did see was a scorching attraction that resulted in intense emotions—possessiveness and lust.

Had I finished the book feeling satisfied, with all—or at least most of—my questions answered, I would have given this a 3 star rating. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. There is a small chance that some of those questions will be answered in book two of the series, but since Secrets Inside Her focuses on different characters, I’m not counting on it. Last but not least, punctuation errors were a consistent problem throughout the book. I found a missing or misspelled word here and there, but the missing commas were what really caught my attention. An additional round of editing would be a great help here, but as it stands, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Despite the many issues I had with the writing, I did still enjoy the story.

Since I’m admittedly picky when it comes to books, I would still recommend The Darkest Hour to those above the age of 18 who enjoy a steamy romance with a good dose of suspense and intrigue. Fair warning, this book does contain strong language, sexual content, and violence.

The Darkest Hour
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kemp1kor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love books that keep me wondering who's trustworthy and what might happen next, but it sounds like this book's shortcomings outweigh its good points. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am sorry that you were disappointed due to punctuation errors and other flaws mentioned. I was really interested in the plot at the start but the ending was not so fulfilling based on your revelations.
Thank you for your splendid review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Hmm... suspense and intrigue, yes; steamy romance, no. I think I’ll pass on this one. Thanks for the balanced review.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

crediblereading2 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 13:43 I am sorry that you were disappointed due to punctuation errors and other flaws mentioned. I was really interested in the plot at the start but the ending was not so fulfilling based on your revelations.
Thank you for your splendid review.
I’m still hoping the author might have tied up some loose ends later in the series, but I’m not sure if I should commit to reading the next book. :eusa-think:
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

SamSim wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 13:26 I love books that keep me wondering who's trustworthy and what might happen next, but it sounds like this book's shortcomings outweigh its good points. Great review!
I thought the story was good, but it definitely could have used some polishing! Thank you!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

teacherjh wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 16:05 Hmm... suspense and intrigue, yes; steamy romance, no. I think I’ll pass on this one. Thanks for the balanced review.
I understand that the steamy scenes aren’t for everyone. Thanks for reading!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Very descriptive review! Your explanation supports your mark an it gave me a better idea if I ever wanted to pursue after this read which is not. Thank you for your review! Too bad it was disappointing.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It's funny that even with your bad rating I still wanna see it. Very nice review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I agree with you about the omniscient viewpoint being annoying if not used well. As you say, a change between character viewpoints is better left for a new chapter rather than from one paragraph to the next. And where’s the suspense in romantic suspense if you know what both characters are thinking? Doesn’t work for me at all. Thanks for a very insightful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Due to the content, I doubt this will be one I pick up. Plus, it always irritates me when I have to work to figure out which one of the characters is speaking. Third person omniscient is a very difficult point of view to master. When it's done well, it's great. But when it's not... Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 21:00 Very descriptive review! Your explanation supports your mark an it gave me a better idea if I ever wanted to pursue after this read which is not. Thank you for your review! Too bad it was disappointing.
Thank you for reading! I’m sorry this one isn’t for you.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

Mouricia25 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 23:15 It's funny that even with your bad rating I still wanna see it. Very nice review!
It’s still worth reading if you think you’ll like it. It’s possible that the things I found irritating won’t be a problem for you. Thanks for reading!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

joshfee77 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 03:05 I agree with you about the omniscient viewpoint being annoying if not used well. As you say, a change between character viewpoints is better left for a new chapter rather than from one paragraph to the next. And where’s the suspense in romantic suspense if you know what both characters are thinking? Doesn’t work for me at all. Thanks for a very insightful review.
The suspense had more to do with their situation than their relationship, but I see what you mean. Thank you for reading!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:

Post by kemp1kor »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 07:53 Due to the content, I doubt this will be one I pick up. Plus, it always irritates me when I have to work to figure out which one of the characters is speaking. Third person omniscient is a very difficult point of view to master. When it's done well, it's great. But when it's not... Thanks for the information.
I completely agree that third person omniscient is a difficult point of view to use effectively when writing. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”