Review by glowreeah -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GP Coffey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gp-coffey.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by glowreeah -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by GP Coffey »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a delightful early reader book with colorful and vibrant illustrations. The story introduces the always cheerful Toni who just happens to be a superhero. We follow Toni throughout his day and learn about some of the things he likes to do. The simple wording and lively pictures work together to express how Toni has reached superhero status.

The repetition in the body of the story will help beginning readers recognize frequently used common words by sight. The supporting illustration is full of action and energy, which helps make the book fun to read over and over. Toni is shown in various activities with his friends, his mother, and by himself. No matter the task, he carries out every activity with a smile. This is what I enjoyed most about this book. It is a special person who can find pleasure in all things. Whether it is an overt theme or an underlying one, Toni is expressing his superpowers of contentment and enjoyment.

The only thing I disliked in the book is the illustration for page eight; it is a little confusing when compared to the text. Toni is smiling while reading a book, which at this point, completely represents the text. Yet, it may leave the reader wondering why there is an unhappy cat in a tree. Toni has his hand outstretched toward the cat, but he is otherwise ignoring him, choosing to focus on his book. Based on the picture, it could be surmised that the cat is unhappy because Toni is enjoying his book rather than playing with him. This would not be superhero-like behavior, and unbecoming to Toni. However, the situation becomes clear on page nine where we learn that Toni likes to rescue animals. Pictured is a tree minus Toni and the cat. At this point, it is realized the cat was unhappy because he was afraid to jump out of the tree and was rescued by Toni.

Despite the unclear image on page 8, I rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars. The book is appropriate for its target age range of four years and under. The energetic illustrations are drawn in primary colors, which will capture the attention of very young children, as well as hold the attention of parents who could potentially, under their child’s request, read this book on a daily basis.

Toni’s cheerful and confident personality is present as he plays with his friends, engage in solo activities, and even as he completes his household chores. A young superhero with a joyful disposition is a positive role model for other children who are seeking to live a superhero lifestyle.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like glowreeah's review? Post a comment saying so!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

GP Coffey wrote: 24 May 2018, 17:01 The repetition in the body of the story will help beginning readers recognize frequently used common words by sight. The supporting illustration is full of action and energy, which helps make the book fun to read over and over. Toni is shown in various activities with his friends, his mother, and by himself. No matter the task, he carries out every activity with a smile. This is what I enjoyed most about this book. It is a special person who can find pleasure in all things. Whether it is an overt theme or an underlying one, Toni is expressing his superpowers of contentment and enjoyment.
Great review! I really liked this part ^. the repetitive sentences makes it easier for the child to focus on the new activity Toni is doing. Additionally, I think showing Toni wearing a superhero costume playing with other kids and helping his mother, without using his powers, makes those activities more appealing to kids. I also reviewed this book, check out my review if you like
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I'm glad that this book would be good for the target age range. Sometimes, books are just too complicated or too simple to keep the children's interest for very long. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”