I don't like the cover page picture

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: I don't like the cover page picture

Post by melissy370 »

I am one that judges a book by its cover. Perhaps not the most effective way to decide if I am going to read it or not, but it happens. I am a visual person and if it does not appeal to me, I chuck it. For this book I did not like the cover, and coincidently, my judgement was correct and I did not like the story either.
v_for_vincent
Favorite Book: Good to Great
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by v_for_vincent »

scratchcat318 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 20:13 I agree. I really didn't care much for the cover, either. I do like the color scheme that the cover has, with its reds, grays, and blacks, but the image itself wasn't the best. It also really bothers me that the title of the book covers up most of the sword. Would it really have been hard to move the image down or move the text to a better location? It makes it hard to see what he's actually doing when half the sword he's swallowing is covered up.
The cover shows the story, there are two covers but the one with the knife has a stronger message for those seeing the book for the first time.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Not a big fan of the cover either. You have to look quite closely before you know what's actually going on. I'm usually bored by that stage. So yes, I agree. Cover = thumbs down.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I feel the same way. In fact, this book and several of the other really nice books I have read on this site have had simply awful covers. I don't understand how the novels that I sometimes read that are self-published and have horrible stories have such nice covers, and then these novels with deep meanings and intricate storylines have horrible covers. This isn't the worst cover I've seen by far, but it definitely isn't the best.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I ageee and did not find the cover very appealing. It does have a shock value that captures your attention. I just have not decided if I would have taken the book off the shelf based on the cover.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
CorundumAl2O3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Sphere</a>
Currently Reading: The Snowball
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corundumal2o3.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B01J94T29W

Post by CorundumAl2O3 »

Yes, I feel many people (including me) see the cover as a put-off. In my experience it's usually the poor quality books that have such shabby covers. But I was glad I took the step to read the novel because it was such a pleasant read and so in-depth! Also I saw that there was an update to the cover, which looks much more appealing.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

My first impression of the cover was that it was over the top. It's got a certain shock value, but I much prefer minimalist covers. They leave a little more about what you're going to be reading to the imagination. They're certainly more subtle.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I did not like the cover. Had it not been the BOTM, I would not have given it a second thought. But since it was, I decided to give it a go.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 »

I agree. I could easily dismiss the book at first glance because of the cover page but after reading a summary of the book, i think the story's actually great.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

trulyfreeclub wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 22:17
Mely918 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:40 I agree, the cover page for this books is not the most alluring. That's not to say that I wouldn't have read it because of it, but sometimes I prefer covers that aren't so literal. Perhaps something that could leave room for interpretation for the audience.
I totally agree with you. Probably, a picture of something abstract or animated for the audience to interpret and attract curiosity to readers.
Exactly. It can help a potential reader to feel more stimulated by an abstract cover and make them more interested in reading the book that way.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I didn't really like the cover page either, but I didn't hate it enough to prevent me from reading the book. The cover page is literally what the book is about so it represented the book well. It didn't really leave anything to the imagination though. The title of the book is the same. It's not the best title but it represents the book and what it's about.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

This book has characters with rough edges and bad habits, so it's probably matching that the book cover isn't very artful and fluffy either.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

True. The cover was a put-off for me. Without even thinking about it consciously I decided to skip the book. Thankfully I took time to read the official review because it completely changed my thoughts. I still haven't checked the revised cover though.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I have to disagree. I think the tattooed man looks like someone that doesn´t conform to society´s rules, and in a way, it´s part of the essence of the book: pushing the boundaries. I also like the boldness of the colors. What I think is that the tattoo catches a lot of the attention, and the reader can barely notice the man is swallowing a sword.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

v_for_vincent wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 14:21
scratchcat318 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 20:13 I agree. I really didn't care much for the cover, either. I do like the color scheme that the cover has, with its reds, grays, and blacks, but the image itself wasn't the best. It also really bothers me that the title of the book covers up most of the sword. Would it really have been hard to move the image down or move the text to a better location? It makes it hard to see what he's actually doing when half the sword he's swallowing is covered up.
The cover shows the story, there are two covers but the one with the knife has a stronger message for those seeing the book for the first time.
How does it have a stronger message? What do you mean by that?

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”