Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Re: Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I think it's a curse, she goes through a lot of trouble.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Well, I'm going to go with they were a blessing in disguise. Angela is whisked away from her humdrum daily life of art, overbearing peers and pervert boss into a life of adventure, love, fabulous wealth, great sex and professional recognition. Sure she passes out, freaks out, and almost gets raped and killed, but hey life ends up grand in the end.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I think her visions or gifts are both a blessing and a curse for her although I think it is more of a curse. Though it allows her to meet the love of her life it also turns her personality upside down.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I think Angela’s past life regression is a curse in some ways, but a gift in others. It may have lead to a lot of bad experiences, but some good came from it as well.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Past life regression tends to cause more confusion in our present lives than it helps to solve any existing problem. Some say that it helps one to understand himself, I say if it's meant to serve a purpose in our present lives then we would all be allowed to remember our past lives. There a reason why it's kept hidden from us.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I think it depends from person to person. For me, if I may have the chance to see myself in past lives I think it will be a gift, because I am the curious kind of person who wants to know as much as it can be known and I am fascinated about past lives. For Angela I believe it is 50/50. It has ups and downs, but in the end she works things out.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I think that her connection to her past selves is a gift. They help her solve the mystery and deepen her connection with Alex.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

bookowlie wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 10:27 I think Angela's connection to her past lives was a curse throughout the novel. It put her in danger and constantly interrupted her life. In the beginning of the story, she would often have blackouts at her job. She also had blackouts when she and Alex were in Italy. Sure, the visions helped Angela solve the mystery of the painting, but I think they were more problematic than beneficial.
A necessity and gift to the story but a curse to the character. Interesting!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I think whether knowing one's past lives is a curse or a gift depends heavily on the individual's strength of character/psyche, as well as what one does with the information. In Angela's case, it certainly contributed to her character development, so I would say that it is somewhat a gift, as it made Angela more of a well-rounded character.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I see it more as a curse than as a gift. Angela had to experience the loss of two of her past loves. I also think her past lives propelled her and Alex forward in their relationship way too quickly. It almost seems as if having been together in two past lives was an excuse to not even really need to get to know one another before declaring their love and hopping into bed. But then Angela wanted to use the loss of her two previous loves to push Alex away. She couldn't make up her mind if she was going to hold on tight or let go. I think not having access to knowledge of the past would have helped her have a more normal relationship with Alex.

I do not find it at all romantic that Alex and Angela had their first kiss before they had even met as a result of one of her visions. I think this is very dangerous. Of course, Ami wrote it so everything worked out. But Angela could pass out in a moment where Alex isn't there to protect her or she could walk in front of a car.
Rhianne
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhianne.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rhianne »

It would be more of a blessing if she could control when it happens and what (or who) she sees.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I think it made the story. It was not fully clear to me how the artwork transferred from Fioretta to Sophia-I must have missed that part.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I saw her visions as a curse. They are something she is unable to control. In several occasions, simply thinking about the past brought on the visions. While she is experiencing the visions, she is totally vulnerable. I am not a supporter of "the ends justifies the means". Simply being able to complete her mission, is not worth the risk.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:21 Although Angela Renatus claims she does not believe in fate, she finds herself swept off her feet by the irresistible attraction she feels for Alex Caine, a man she barely knows.

Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?
Do you think her visions of Fioretta and Sophia are credibly portrayed in the novel?
A gift because she was reunited with her love, but a curse because of all the problems that arose. As for her visions, I thought they very well portrayed.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I think there are positives and negatives in every situation but love covers all, therefore if she has found true love and she is happy, then that is all that matters.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”