Paranormal Elements

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Re: Paranormal Elements

Post by DorcasToo »

Whenever paranormal element is added to a story it takes it to another level. This applies to this book.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

The paranormal aspect was so integral to the story, it's the only way it could work without actually making the book a mystery/thriller as it is wrongly labeled. The characters reactions to the paranormal are what bothered me. For non-believers they take it all in stride a bit too easily. Angela is a pretty 'normal' character, I feel her reaction should have been a lot more panicked.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
ChrisChatfield
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrischatfield.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by ChrisChatfield »

Paranormal events can really add some nice flair to a story...as long as it fits well with the plot line. I've read books where the paranormal was placed haphazardly without any real connection with the plot line...at one point in this book a few characters had a short encounter with a few creatures. It should add a considerable amount of mystery or intrigue to a plot.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 18:01 The paranormal aspect was so integral to the story, it's the only way it could work without actually making the book a mystery/thriller as it is wrongly labeled. The characters reactions to the paranormal are what bothered me. For non-believers they take it all in stride a bit too easily. Angela is a pretty 'normal' character, I feel her reaction should have been a lot more panicked.
I agree the characters seemed to go with the flow regarding Angela's visions. Both Alex and Angela's reactions were unrealistic. Alex saw her talking to a painting in the museum before he even met her, and still wanted her to work for him. I thought he should have been alarmed by what he saw.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

For one, Angela seems to be a very attractive lady, and she has a glowing endorsement from Dr. Hoffman. Secondly, Alex himself saw Giuliano move and felt the lightning strike his back. Thirdly, who can quarrel with the magic of love at first sight, heralded by a bewitching kiss?

Belle Ami chose the same day (August 3rd) for all the initial stories: Gerhard and Sophia's escape from the Uffizi Gallery (1944), the party at the Medicis where Fioretta meets Giuliano (1475), and the passionate first encounter between a clueless Alex and an Angela in a trance (2018). The bombing of the bridges did happen on the night of August 3, 1944.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I enjoyed the paranormal beginning when Angela is in the gallery and she first meets Alex (not being herself). It made me want to read the rest of the book to find out what is happening. I think it adds to the book's overall plot.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

without the paranormal theme the story could have no charm, in this book paranormal is the essential spice needed to give good shape to the story line
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Exactly my sentiments. The paranormal element simply made the book look unserious. The flashback to the generations past was ok and it fits well with the storyline, but not the psychedelic stuff. The book would have been up there with the likes of the Da Vinci code without all the crazies.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

As with the most people in this forum, I agree. The paranormal elements definitely play a part in making this book the great work it is.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Wasif Ahmed wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 17:24 As with the most people in this forum, I agree. The paranormal elements definitely play a part in making this book the great work it is.
Hi, Wasif Ahmed! Glad to see you back. Ciao!
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

I believed that this being a mystery story, use of paranormal aspect was unavoidable to solve up some conflicts. Plus its paranormality brings life into the text.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Paranormal elements can be a positive or a negative, I think, depending on the book. In this case they probably made it a little easier for the author to gel the three time periods together, but I tend to agree with you that the book might have been more grounded and realistic without the paranormal elements.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Zain A Blade wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 14:40 Exactly my sentiments. The paranormal element simply made the book look unserious. The flashback to the generations past was ok and it fits well with the storyline, but not the psychedelic stuff. The book would have been up there with the likes of the Da Vinci code without all the crazies.
So true. Without the paranormal, "crazy" parts, I think the book would have been a more sophisticated read. I would have preferred to see Alex and Angela do more traditional detective work. Instead, they rely on Angela's visions for practically every move they make. I can picture them having breakfast each morning and planning their day -

Alex: "Angela, what should we do today?"
Angela: "Let's go to the town records department because I dreamed about the file room there last night. We need to go to the 2nd drawer in the left cabinet and get file #27."

:)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

[/quote]

So true. Without the paranormal, "crazy" parts, I think the book would have been a more sophisticated read. I would have preferred to see Alex and Angela do more traditional detective work. Instead, they rely on Angela's visions for practically every move they make. I can picture them having breakfast each morning and planning their day -

Alex: "Angela, what should we do today?"
Angela: "Let's go to the town records department because I dreamed about the file room there last night. We need to go to the 2nd drawer in the left cabinet and get file #27."

:)
[/quote]

Hahaha :lol:
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

I enjoyed the paranormal aspects of this story but I tend to gravitate to those kinds of stories. I think the author did a great job using the paranormal aspect to tie the three time periods together. I think without the paranormal aspect, this book would have gone a different direction altogether.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”