Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Post by lesler »

I think it is an art, because not everyone can even be taught to do it. You have to have the correct physical traits to be able to swallow swords.
Social Butterfly
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly »

I name myself the skeptical soul and therefore believe that sword swallowing is definitely a trick as it is scientifically impossible
eri1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eri1 »

Zain A Blade wrote: 02 May 2018, 14:17 After reading the book (or at least the review), are you convinced that the character, Duke Raynolds, is not a fraud? Do you believe that sword swallowing is a practice that can actually be taught and learned? I'd love to hear your take on this.
Magic exists and yes sword swallowing is done by people who have the magical skill. people do so many crazy things in this world and sword swallowing is part of it
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

If a real sword is used, I would say the swallowing part is a skill. The art would lie in crafting the show you put on for the audience while demonstrating the skill. I agree with others who say it would be a trick if a collapsible sword is being used to deceive others. But there can be an artistry to tricks as well. We know that a magician is deceiving our senses in some way. But we can still be entertained by the show he puts on.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think it’s an art. I saw a sword swallower swallow a neon light and it lit up his throat and chest. Pretty convincing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think its an art, not a trick! It can be fatal, but I am certain it can be learned. Also, I'm sure everyone who does it has a terrible sore throat afterward.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nop. I am not convinced. I feel that it is more of a trick than an act. It would seem unimaginable to see one swallowing a sword despite the mastery of skills by various acrobats and 'magicians'.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

cristinaro wrote: 31 May 2018, 05:20 Duke definitely wants us to think it is the real thing and he keeps repeating that there are ony 14 sword swallowers left who know the ins and outs of this art. I would say it is merely a trick as I've also read how he carefully plans his performance and has a rehearsed monologue repeated to thousands to make the audience believe in the power of the illusion. I've been reading about this and I've learnt that it could be a gimmick with special trick swords, but this is not always the case. Considering that Duke got hurt and at some point he couldn't perform his act anymore, he must have been doing the real thing.
This is a nice perspective of view on the whole practice of sword swallowing in the book. It sounds more realistic when viewed from this angle.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I definitely believe that it is an art. He has to train so hard if he is swallowing actual swords. However, if they were collapsible, then it would be a trick.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I think sword swallowing is a trick for some and a skill for others. It all depends on the artist, the audience and the illusion they want to create. I consider sword swallowing like magicians. Some are amazing. Others, not so much.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

To me, it's a bit of both to be honest. I admire people who can actually do it and I never understood the trick behind it (because there must be a trick he's swallowing a whole sword! That's not possible even if the sword was fake or not!). All in all, I have to admit it's very impressive to witness.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 »

To me, its a trick. There's no way a human being can swallow a sword without discomfort or injury.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I believe sword swallowing is both a skill and a bit of a trick. I'm sure it takes a lot of training. It seems impossible to do it without hurting yourself but people just master it somehow. I don't know what the trick is but it seems very interesting to me.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have never had the chance to witness an act of sword swallowing, nor am I sure that I can handle watching such a dangerous endeavour. The parts in the sample where the author described the instances of sword-swallowing kept me on my toes the entire time. I was afraid that this probably will be the time when Duke accidentally piercss his windpipe! I would like to read about this feat. Thanks for posting those links, I mean to check them out.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Alright, your topic of discussion is quite amusing. My take on this one is that sword swallowing is an art because in order to perform a trick, you need to be able to understand the art related to that trick. For instance, the more you know about the art of sketching portraits, the easier it will be to figure to tricks to sketch them more accurately and in less time. So yes, it is an art.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”