Official Review: The Locked Self and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: The Locked Self and Other Stories

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Locked Self and Other Stories" by Silvano Bistazzoni.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Silvano Bistazzoni has compiled a collection of four short stories into his book, The Locked Self and Other Stories. In contradiction to the Non-Fiction classification listed when I selected the book to review, it is entirely a work of fiction. The book runs just over 200 PDF pages in length, with the opening story comprising approximately three quarters of that. The Locked Self takes place in the office of a counseling psychologist who has set to work trying to help a nine-year-old boy, Jo, whose tumultuous home life is causing him to retreat within himself. As the doctor whittles away at Jo's defensive walls, he reminisces about the ups and downs of his own childhood.

The second short in the book is called The Round Trip Home. It depicts a young sailor unwilling to conform to the expectations of his old-fashioned small town. He does things his own way, assuming he has nothing but time, but as we soon discover, life rarely works out the way we plan, often leaving the hints of regret as we look back on our life. In All Systems Go, a married couple has settled into a cantankerous relationship, putting their respective energies into relationships outside their marriage. Samantha Rice has had enough of her husband's cheating and unloving ways, and develops a fondness for a much younger bank teller. Just when it seems Sam will get her happy ending after all, we see that her new love has been keeping secrets of his own. The book concludes with Island, A Family, in which a simple Italian restaurant owner, Mario, is still reeling from the sudden departure of his wife to another man, as well as his strained relationships with his children. When an unexpected reunion comes on the heels of a traumatic event, we see that blood is thicker than water, and Mario will do anything for those he loves.

The first story left a lot to be desired. From the lead character (the psychologist) not having a name, to the lack of physical character descriptions and underwhelming plot progression, I had difficulty connecting with the events of the story. I noticed a primary character's name transitioned from “Allison” to “Alison,” and even after her identity was clearly established at the beginning, the author continued to remind us that she was “Alison, Jo's mother.” The remaining three shorts did little to pull me up from my disinterest with their hasty narratives and unimaginative dialogues. These issues, coupled with telling-rather-than-showing imagery and plentiful grammatical errors, had me constantly longing for more than this book offered.

The book did have some positive points that should not go unmentioned. I think the author has the creativity to devise an attention-grabbing premise across multiple genres, and I believe this book was intended to showcase that diversity. There is nothing lacking in the author's ability to portray his intentions for the plot and to craft a believable storyline. It is my opinion that the author would be well-served to expand the primary story, focusing on character development and a more streamlined narrative. With three of the four stories constituting only a quarter of the reading material, their presence is not necessary or aiding. Alternatively, the author could shorten the first story and lengthen the others, giving a more well-rounded representation of the shorts.

Due to the prevalence of grammatical errors and considering the degree to which I found the presentation and character development to be lacking, I have rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. With some adjustments, I feel this book has the potential to appeal to readers that enjoy a short story collection of varying themes and styles.

The Locked Self and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

As you say, too much "telling-rather-than-showing" really bogs a story down. Poor character development loses my interest too. Thanks for the honest review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your comprehensive review as always! The lack of characterisation and grammatical errors are seriously a turn-off, so I think I will be giving this a miss.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Very interesting. It seems that the other reviewer pretty much agreed with your assessment. I think I'll pass on this one, but I do appreciate the information. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thanks for the review. Shame, it looks like it had good potential, but failed to hit the mark.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I agree with you that life rarely works out the way we plan. The apparent examples are everywhere; relationships, careers, etc. Thank you for a great review.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Thanks for the great review. Makes this book sound interesting
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I think the removal of the last three stories is a good idea. It seems like he could head in the right direction with a bit of focus on the main story plot. Good suggestion - I hope the author heeds your advice on this one :)
Thanks for the great review - I really enjoyed it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds more like a novel with a few short stories tacked on. I'm not a huge fan of short stories so I'd advocate for the author to focus on the first story and develop it a bit more fully. This sounds like it has too much unhappiness in it for me anyway. Great review.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I agree with your assessment and think you did a great job of highlighting the issues within the book. Thanks for your great review! :)
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

SamSim wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 09:12 As you say, too much "telling-rather-than-showing" really bogs a story down. Poor character development loses my interest too. Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for your comments, Sam!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

gen_g wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 09:48 Thank you for your comprehensive review as always! The lack of characterisation and grammatical errors are seriously a turn-off, so I think I will be giving this a miss.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Gen!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 10:02 Very interesting. It seems that the other reviewer pretty much agreed with your assessment. I think I'll pass on this one, but I do appreciate the information. Thanks so much!
How funny that the two reviews got published back to back! I was under the impression this one was going unpublished. In any case, thank you for taking a peek and leaving a comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 10:09 Thanks for the review. Shame, it looks like it had good potential, but failed to hit the mark.
Exactly. Something just didn't work for this piece. Thanks for your thoughts, Helen!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 12:05 I agree with you that life rarely works out the way we plan. The apparent examples are everywhere; relationships, careers, etc. Thank you for a great review.
Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate it :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”