Official Review: A Roadmap To Career Success

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Re: Official Review: A Roadmap To Career Success

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

My parents weren't college people and knew very little about the institution. I had help from teachers but that was well into my senior year. Books like this help students know what to do and when. They also prepare them for the unexpected struggles they'll face.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

As a college student myself, finding the right book that can show you the way is quite hard since there's an enormous list of such book and you can't pick up one from the lot because it might or might not be for you. I think I'm grateful to have read this review which prompted me to download the free sample. Gonna read this soon, this might be the one for me.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by FawkesThorn »

I am not a fan of self help books but this one everyone should have. I wish I had a copy of this after High School. I hope everything, if not most of, whats in this book will be effective in about ten years when my son is looking at colleges, so I will definitely hold on to a copy for him. Thank you for the great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I wish I had this book back in my high school years! It´s such a confusing time, and I´m glad the author did a thorough job with this guide. ´
I´m way past that stage, but I´ll keep it in mind to recommend it.
Thank you for your review.
Izi Colton
Currently Reading: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Izi Colton »

Interesting book! Definitely something I will consider looking at as I will be heading to college soon. I really like how it is quite short meaning it just keeps to the point, but I think it is an excellent and helpful book :D
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

As soon as I saw the topic, I decided, "This is not my type of book". I really hate these kind of books because what I believe is, it is up to you to figure out who to become and what you will need for that. The only reason for me to read this book is the short length of it.

Anyway a good and descriptive review. It shows that the reviewer has actually taken the book to his heart and compared it with other advice books and done a marvelous job in reviewing. Good luck and thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Although I've always known what career path I wanted to take, I sure would love to fine-tune my soft skills a lot more. Good enough, I've got a sister who would, sooner or later, be heading to college, thus, the book will definitely come in handy. I look forward to reading up every page of this book. Thanks for the in-depth review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

I am still in college and have multiple interests in careers(unconventional). This might be helpful. Thanks for your review.
kdawes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kdawes17 »

This book is great guide for the students who getting to start college . It gives alot of great tips and advice and what they need to look for when they start looking for colleges to attend.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks for the interesting and comprehensive review. I think the 30 - 40 age range is a good time to take stock and evaluate a person's career choice and again before retirement, albeit for different reasons.

The book appears to be a useful tool for high-schoolers to use as a resource and help them explore where there interests lie although a lot of that information is available online, the book does give a lot of helpful tips.

For me it came across as a sales pitch for going to College or University. That may not be for everyone, although I think some technical and soft skills training is useful for those that do not take the University path.

The author mentions that the reader does not want a boring job, well that depends on the individual. A high-paid job does not necessarily lead to happiness and every job has some aspect to it that can be a little tedious. I think the important thing that can be taken away from this book is to cause the reader to think about the type of job they would like to do in order to meet their needs, and explore what their skills are and their SOFT skills which are important in every job.

What the book did not include is the options of remote working, which would have been useful considering that this is a trend that is growing rapidly.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I really had no clue what career I wanted when it was time for college and it became confusing on where to focus my attention. This book seems to help anyone who is looking into chartering the waters in academia. I am pass my college days, but I still think this is a great resource that is backed by other educators and professionals.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I am SOOO far removed from being in college and looking to "start my career"! Hell, I hope to NOT be working at all within the next decade or so, so this book is definitely not something I'll be reading. Even my children are past this point, so I don't have anyone to pass it on to. Glad it's out there as a resource, though. And thanks for the review.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

Thanks for your positive review. I will definitely use this book for my children as it will equip them with necessary skills and information to build their careers.
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Well, I think most of us had challenges just when we were about to enter college. And most of the questions were either based on the college you desired or the course to pursue. So, we need to help our children make good choices in school.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

This book is a compendium of practical career advice for children. I wish I had gotten this before I got into high school. Lovely resource for all children and parents out there.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”