Official Review: A Ring of Truth by Michelle Cox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: A Ring of Truth by Michelle Cox

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Ring of Truth" by Michelle Cox.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“It was an assumption she felt even more certain of now as she stood apprehensively beside Clive in the marble foyer of the Howards’ home, which he had somehow failed to mention resembled a castle, or very nearly so.”
- A Ring of Truth

A Ring of Truth by Michelle Cox is a wonderful book that you will certainly love if you are a Pride and Prejudice person. This book is the second in the Henrietta and Inspector Howard series and continues from where the first book left off. Clive and Henrietta are now engaged to each other and are about to begin the very “difficult task of meeting each other’s family”.

This task is difficult for a multitude of reasons, one being that both of them have been keeping secrets from each other that could be revealed in this process of meeting each other’s families. Henrietta is soon left alone in the estate and finds herself, like Jane Eyre, “more at home with the servants than his family”. However, she soon becomes entrapped in a dark plot and mystery ensues.

This book is the perfect read for anyone who loves works of authors like Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte as well as that of Agatha Christie. In the author’s own words, “it’s "Downton Abbey" meets "Upstairs, Downstairs" with a little mystery thrown in”. There are a number of reasons that the reader will find this book very appealing. These reasons range from the intriguing title to the elegant cover of the book, but they are also related to much more substantial things that the reader will notice about the book. For instance, the writing style of the author makes the book seem like it has been set in the world of Jane Austen. Certain words, phrases and idioms may seem out of use now, but they blend in wonderfully with the narrative. It is quite clear from the writing of the author that she has done her research.

One of the greatest strengths of this book is the plot. Fluid and interesting, the plot will keep the reader hooked till the last page. There is a rare kind of coherence and structure to the plot of this novel that is hard to find in most works.

The characterisation in the novel is also quite brilliant. The author has created a few memorable characters that the reader will love to hate and hate to love. For all of these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and strongly recommend it to all young adults and adults.

A Ring of Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Secrets are present in every family which is well portrayed in this book. The flow of the story is just so nice. Lovely review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 15 May 2018, 12:05 One of the greatest strengths of this book is the plot. Fluid and interesting, the plot will keep the reader hooked till the last page. There is a rare kind of coherence and structure to the plot of this novel that is hard to find in most works.

The characterisation in the novel is also quite brilliant. The author has created a few memorable characters that the reader will love to hate and hate to love.
Well, that clinches it. I want to read this. Jane Eyre is, quite possibly, my favorite book and who doesn't love Jane Austen novels? The mystery aspect combined with romance reminds me of some of Georgette Heyer's works. Thanks for the informative review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

A modern Jane Austen - sounds intriguing.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Keeping secrecy and coming out with truth seems to be very complicated tasks. Further as this review describes well formed plot with good characters drives me to read this book. Thanks for the review
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

You had me at Pride and Prejudice. I love the idea of secrets and well-calculated mishaps. Also, your reference to a Jane Eyre-like character pulls me in. Great job capturing my attention with this review. I think I'm sold!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Secrets, mystery, and meeting the in-laws! Can't wait to read this one. Great review.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you!
trisheesh14
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by trisheesh14 »

The fact that this book entitles mystery this can quickly capture attention of the readers just like how I got attached to it. The plot is well calculated and thrilling. And on my own opinion, saying that the unveiling of secrets in the story made it more exciting. The book is great and mysterious.
Aliyuoniye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aliyuoniye »

A Ring of Truth by Michelle Cox is a wonderful book that you will certainly love if you are a Pride and Prejudice person. Now I know keeping secrets is bad
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Brilliant characterisation and fluid plotting are something all writers strive for but few achieve. I love the idea of a little Agatha Christie mixed into Jane Austen!
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

The review was quick and to the point. Sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

You got me when you said Pride and Prejudice. I think I will start will the first book and then with the other books. It will be interesting to see how this Mr Darvy is portrayed.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

This is definitely for me! Jane Austen and Agatha Christie in one!! yehey!! I'm curious as how well written this book was. The description of the book in your review was fabulous. Thanks. Hope to read more of your review.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I am going to read this, sounds like something I will enjoy. Thanks for the review, though :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”