Official Review: Stolen Sister Shout-Out by Ruth Wiley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Stolen Sister Shout-Out by Ruth Wiley

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stolen Sister Shout-Out" by Ruth Wiley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amanda had no idea that she had a twin sister until she laid eyes on Jessica and saw her own face. The sisters felt an instant connection, but their reconciliation was sadly short-lived. Author, Ruth Wiley Shaw tells the suspenseful story of these long-lost twin sisters in Amanda’s Journey: Stolen Sister Shout-Out.

Amanda and Ken were enjoying their honeymoon in Niagara Falls when tragedy struck. Ken was assaulted and thrown over the Falls! Amanda is certain that he is alive, and she waits as the authorities search for Ken. Amanda is drawn to a beautiful singing voice at the hotel. She meets and befriends a lovely little girl named Jena. When Amanda meets Jena’s mother, Jessica, she is astonished to learn that the single mother is her twin sister. Shortly after Ken’s return, Jessica is abducted. Amanda is devastated but loves her new role as guardian of her niece, Jena. The new family soon learns that the hard times are only beginning as they wonder if they will ever see Jessica again.

This book was not at all what it seemed to be. I expected a family mystery story, but I was actually reading a political opinion piece. The author’s views on immigration, gun control, healthcare, and Confederate monuments were awkwardly placed in the characters’ dialogue and the narration of the story. I love characters with strong opinions, even if these views differ from mine, but these statements were not naturally written into the story. Also, the discussions concerning immigrants bordered on racist. This made the book very uncomfortable to read, and the characters were very difficult to like. However, the young girl, Jena, was an interesting character from start to finish.

Much of the dialogue was very unbelievable. For example, an eight-year-old girl expressed her deep regret of the past because she was not living fully in the present.

The number of grammar errors in this book was quite astonishing. There were run-on sentences, missing punctuation, and misspelled and missing words. These errors caused constant distractions and disrupted the flow of the story.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The plot of this story had great potential, but the author’s awkward placement of political declarations and grammar errors ruined it. Readers with very strong far-right political views might enjoy Amanda’s story. Amanda’s Journey: Stolen Sister Shout-Out reminds the reader that life can change, for better or worse, in an instant.

Stolen Sister Shout-Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I ran into a book with overdone politics recently too. The message would have come across without being beaten into the reader.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I agree that it’s fine for characters to have strong views, as long as they fit into the story. But having them misplaced or standing out like a sore thumb can detract from the reader’s experience. I believe story and justifiable character motivation should always come first in fiction. Entertainment first, education second. Great review!
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Thank you for your candid review. I can tolerate biased stories as long as they are properly integrated and are making a point that is realistic. But I also wonder, if a reader automatically does not care for a different political view can they be unbiased? Or are assumptions being made of the different political view since they don't subscribe to those views. I prefer a balanced approach even in fiction. It's too bad that there were many editorial errors. The story sounds interesting but mystery is not my favorite genre.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

By all means, handle difficult subjects in books! However, if it's a work of fiction, don't make it like an awkward passive rant. I want to believe the characters and understand where their feelings and opinions come from, even if I don't agree with them. I like the challenge of a character that I like and empathize with, but don't agree with. It's too bad that this novel with, like you said, a great premise, didn't realize its full potential, especially with the need for more editing. Thanks for your thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! You had me fooled to. It sure does sound like a family drama, so I would be very disappointed in what it turned out to be. In addition, I just don't really read political opinion pieces. So I'm going to skip this one. Thanks for helping me avoid it. :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Social Butterfly
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly »

JessNWheeler wrote: 09 May 2018, 17:49 This book was not at all what it seemed to be. I expected a family mystery story, but I was actually reading a political opinion piece. The author’s views on immigration, gun control, healthcare, and Confederate monuments were awkwardly placed in the characters’ dialogue and the narration of the story.
What happened to entertainment in story writing? I think the author should just write a political book if she wishes to and stop disappointing us. Please stop shoving politics down our throats!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

How disappointing! And it was such a good premise, too! I always feel blindsided when authors do this. Thanks for telling it like it is. :)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I highly dislike when an author pushes an agenda just for the sake of it, without being congruent with the character´s nature. It just makes me ditch the book, instead of provoking reflection, which should be the aim.
Thank you for your review. I´ll be skipping this one.
Chisomviolet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chisomviolet »

I ran into a book with overdone politics recently too. The message would have come across without being beaten into the reader
kdawes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kdawes17 »

When i started reading this i was getting happy because the two sisters had finally found each other.Then all of a sudden Amanda 's husband Ken gets assaulted while they were on their honeymoon to Nigeria Falls which was strange and Amanda just knew he was gone then all of suddenly out of nowhere he shows up. Then Jessica turns up missing so now Amanda is left to take care of Jessica's little girl Jena and no questions where asked to her husband Ken why was her sister go missing after he shows back up after he gets thrown over the falls.
talktosan18
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by talktosan18 »

Initially when I started reading this book I symphatise twin sisters and feel very happy for the long time they were not together accidentally they met each other it is so wonderful

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”