Official Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Carbynarah Chronicles" by Jon Franklyn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After over 1,000 years of peace between the people of the High Plains, Shakarine and Warteen have chosen to unite against and attack the other kingdoms of the land. The kings and lords of the various kingdoms are fighting on numerous fronts to protect their lands and their people. King Timon, High King of the High Plains, is unable to protect his eldest son from the attacking armies, and Prince Purstar is now on his deathbed. King Timon seeks to save his son’s fighting skills to pass down to his youngest son through a magical spell not used for hundreds of year, the Inset Spell. King Timon’s only hope is Grand Master Raajanar (Raaj), a wizard of the Grand Council, and his maggii, Yron. Raaj, Yron, King Timon, and the other defensive armies of the land are to converge at Benflyn Dor, a plateau deemed by King Timon to be the best defensive spot in the High Plains. The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn follows the king, wizard, maggii, a ranger taken captive by the Shakarine army, and various others who give a comprehensive view of the war waging across the High Plains. King Timon does not yet know why Shakarine and Warteen have chosen to break the peace. He does not know if his son’s skills can be preserved by Raaj and Yron’s magic before he dies. The first installment of The Carbynarah Chronicles only scratches the surface of everything there is to learn about Carbynarah and its people, but it will make any reader want to dive as deep as he can into the waters of this exciting fantasy series.

The Carbynarah Chronicles follows many characters spread across the High Plains. This is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this book. The numerous points of view give a broad outlook of everything that is happening as Shakarine and Warteen attack the kingdoms. Yron is one of the characters the reader gets to spend the most time with. Franklyn describes Yron’s attempts to improve his magical abilities as he travels across the High Plains delivering messages for King Timon as Timon coordinates everyone’s safe travels to Benflyn Dor. Yron is a wonderful character, and it is almost sad when Franklyn shifts perspectives to a different character. Yron has a strong desire to learn and grow in his magic, so he can one day be a highly respected wizard. His moral compass is incredibly admirable. It is clear that his attempts to improve his magical abilities are rooted in his desire to help others. His creativity in developing new spells and revising and building on ones he already knows is very clever and pleasurable to follow.

Yron is one of many characters Franklyn introduces who I continuously wanted to return to quickly. Havendar, a ranger scouting for King Timon, is another character of interest. He is taken captive by the Shakarine people and forced to fight in arena battles with Tarrie as his partner. Tarrie claims to be a princess and ambassador of Warteen, but she keeps many secrets from Havender. Havendar is unsure what to believe about Tarrie and how much he can trust her. Yron also encounters a mysterious woman on his journey to Benflyn Dor. Brelyah reveals little of herself too, and Franklyn does a superb job of giving just enough information about these secretive women to spark interest while leaving many unanswered questions on the table. These unanswered questions drive the reader to keep turning the page to discover the next revelation.

The reader also meets various lords defending the High Plains. The lords display their cleverness with their battle strategies, but Franklyn gives the battles a realistic spin by not allowing any of his lords to come out on top with every engagement of the enemy armies. Although my interest in a book easily wanes when battle scenes get too extensive, Franklyn wrote his so well I was enraptured throughout. There was not a single point in this book where I got bored.

This is truly an engaging, exciting, interesting adventure. Although I was not on the edge of my seat every moment, there is so much to learn about the characters, the history of the High Plains, and magic. As I learned more and more about each, I was more deeply drawn into the story. The Carbynarah Chronicles ends with many questions unanswered. This is not a deterrent in Franklyn’s case. He has built his fantasy world with so much description and history that he could never have done it justice with just one book. I will be checking for updates on the release date of the second book because I am so anxious to learn more.

I would gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story itself is truly worthy of each of those stars. However, this book is in dire need of a good editor. There are many missing words, extra words, verbs in the wrong tense, and instances of subjects and verbs not agreeing. These mistakes are extensive enough that they are quite distracting, and I got hung up a time or two trying to decipher a sentence in which a key word is missing or mistyped. Therefore, The Carbynarah Chronicles has earned 3 out of 4 stars from me. I would label this a “must read” for any lover of fantasy and adventure novels over the age of fifteen. This book is perfectly acceptable for teens and adults. The only content that is even remotely mature results from the fact that this is a story of battle, so there are scenes in which soldiers are killed. The story is also somewhat complex with the multitude of characters, locations, and battles taking place. A pre-teen or young teen may find it difficult to keep up with everything happening in the story.

The Carbynarah Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I can so relate to you saying your interest wanes during battle scenes. That seems to be some people's favorite part, but I tend to skim it. Great review!!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your anticipation of the next installment shows your enjoyment of the storyline. I’m afraid the editing errors would be quite distracting for me.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

stacie k wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 01:31 Your anticipation of the next installment shows your enjoyment of the storyline. I’m afraid the editing errors would be quite distracting for me.
I agree with stacie k, the premise looks very fascinating, but the errors would prevent me from being immersed in the story. Thanks for the review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds right up my alley. I hope the author heeds your advice as far as editing is concerned. From what you've described, this could be a first-rate fantasy after a good proofread.
Thanks for the awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like quite the engaging saga of a book. Hopefully the writer takes your comments seriously and gets help from a professional editor.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 23:58 I can so relate to you saying your interest wanes during battle scenes. That seems to be some people's favorite part, but I tend to skim it. Great review!!
I find that very few writers can hold my interest when it comes to battles. Franklyn did a good job of describing the various strategies used to fend against the Shakarine. The scenes weren't usually very lengthy either. Thank you for commenting.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 06:11 This sounds right up my alley. I hope the author heeds your advice as far as editing is concerned. From what you've described, this could be a first-rate fantasy after a good proofread.
Thanks for the awesome review :)
It's so frustrating to see an amazing writer brought down even the tiniest bit by editing mistakes that could be so easily corrected. Sometimes I wonder where is this author's family to proofread? Although the editing was distracting, this is such an amazing book. I really would have loved to give The Carbynarah Chronicles 4 stars. I'm so ready for book 2.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I started this one, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why. I guess it just wasn't for me. Thanks for your review, though. I'm glad you really liked this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A beautifully written fantasy novel, from your description (despite my initial thought that the title sounded like a chef setting up a pasta restaurant :lol2: - it must be difficult coming up with so many unique names in fantasy!) Enjoyed your detailed review.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

joshfee77 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 00:08 A beautifully written fantasy novel, from your description (despite my initial thought that the title sounded like a chef setting up a pasta restaurant :lol2: - it must be difficult coming up with so many unique names in fantasy!) Enjoyed your detailed review.
Thank you. I kept thinking of the Carbonaro Effect every time I thought about the title. What is strange about the title of this book is you have to read the glossary to even know what Carbynarah refers to. Apparently Carbynarah is 5 major and 7 minor continents. I would not have known that if not for the descriptor in the glossary. Even the map doesn't make it clear how extensive Carbynarah is. I wish Franklyn would have fleshed that out a little better. Especially if the series ever extends past the High Plains.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Gosh, with all this fantasy names, I thought your review was written in Wesh! It sounds quite an epic. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

What a thorough and wonderful review! You have peaked my interest considering this genre is usually not my type of book to read but sadly, the errors in the book would drive me nuts. I think I will put it on my want to read list though because it really sounds good! Thank you for posting such a great review!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 16:01 Gosh, with all this fantasy names, I thought your review was written in Wesh! It sounds quite an epic. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it.
I love epic fantasies. Even though the names are odd, they are all very different so easy to keep track of. I didn't figure out a way to mention this in the review because it only pops up at the end, but there are dragons! I can't wait for the second book because I think the fantasy aspect of it is going to ramp up.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

SweetMelissaV2131 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 20:24 What a thorough and wonderful review! You have peaked my interest considering this genre is usually not my type of book to read but sadly, the errors in the book would drive me nuts. I think I will put it on my want to read list though because it really sounds good! Thank you for posting such a great review!
Thank you so much for commenting! The errors are quite numerous so annoying but on the bright side of that, they aren't the most awful errors and very rarely cause any confusion.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”