Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Post by stacie k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Complicated" by Izzie Bebe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You breathe a sigh of relief. Your children are grown and gone, you move to a cozy home suited for your needs, you are on the brink of retirement… and then you receive some news that brings uncertainty to your plans. Such was the case for Izzie Beebe. It’s Complicated is her memoir told in the first person. She shares her story, which is indeed complicated, with raw honesty and candid self-reflection. Izzie is a remarkable person with a great capacity for love. After she grieves her own inability to conceive, she opens her heart and home to foster parenting and then adoption—first came Vianne and then Rhiannon. Izzie struggles with failure in marriage, feelings of rejection, and confusion about God. Told with straightforward honesty, she reveals her imperfections, her emotionally-based decisions, and her selfishness. Therefore, Izzie is a real, relatable person.

The reader meets Vianne, Izzie’s oldest daughter, early in the story. We learn that Vianne has Asperger’s and severe overall sensory integration dysfunction and will be unable to care for her son, Von, who is born as a micro-preemie baby. It’s Complicated follows the story of Von’s birth, his struggle to survive as a micro-preemie, and his impact on Izzie and the rest of the family. Woven into this overarching storyline is Rhiannon’s quest to learn of her birth family.

As would be expected with any story of adoption, themes of abandonment and grief are explored. What sets this memoir apart from others is that it reveals not only the pain and struggle of working through these difficulties but also the progression of perspective and healing that takes place in the process. The Izzie Bebe at the end of the story is not the same person as she was at the beginning.

I learned a lot by reading Izzie Bebe’s story. I gained an upfront and personal view of what it might be like to parent a child with autism—the fear, confusion, questions, and self-doubt. It was helpful to read about the presenting behaviors and the tenacity required to seek help, a diagnosis, and a treatment plan. In addition, I learned about foster parenting and the difference between open and closed adoption.

It’s Complicated is composed of an introduction by the author, 65 short chapters, and an epilogue. Each chapter, titled with a succinct word or phrase, begins with a quote. I enjoyed the easy-to-read, short format of each chapter, because it allowed for a brisk pace and prevented the story from dragging on unnecessarily. However, I found the quotes to be a bit puzzling and even distracting at times. Many of the quotes are cited to their author and come from a wide variety of sources, from Dalai Lama to Deepak Chopra to Vincent Van Gogh to the Bible. However, a significant number of the quotes are not associated with a source, leaving me to question where they came from. It’s a minor drawback that I felt worth mentioning.

The thing that I liked least about this story has nothing to do with the writing style, characterization, or plot. My trouble, instead, is found in Izzie’s spiritual journey. Izzie shares about her wonderful, loving father who lived his religion through service and kindness. In contrast was her broken mother who exhibited conditional love and rejection until her last days. Izzie, of course, had to find her own way spiritually. She often prayed at difficult times throughout her life (Von’s birth, her own miscarriages, her husband’s struggle with alcohol). God was confusing to her. She never came to any definitive conclusions. While this was sad and frustrating to me, as the reader, it also highlights a strength of the story: realism. The story wasn’t wrapped up in a tidy bow. It related the real struggle that a real woman lived.

Besides the puzzling quotes, the only other area for improvement would be the editing. There were numerous errors throughout the book, which is unfortunate given the inspirational and well-written story. Therefore, I award 3 out of 4 stars to It’s Complicated. I would recommend it to those who enjoy heartfelt, inspiring stories of real-life struggles. Anyone who is affected by autism or is interested in adoption would gain insights from reading this story.

It's Complicated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Sounds like an emotional book. I love your review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 00:31 Sounds like an emotional book. I love your review.
Thanks for your kind words!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your detailed review. I am very touched by this awesome story. I know we can all relate to some of the emotions that Izzie experienced.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Well written review! A realistic book about a real life person is endearing to anyone! I can imagine how inspiring it must've been for you :)
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really touching read! Thank you for your insightful review.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Great review! I'm drawn to Izzie's character already. I like books that mirror reality closely. It keeps the reader connected in all levels.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice job with your review. Perhaps the author will seriously consider your thoughts for improvement and engage a professional editor.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the editing problems, this sounds interesting. I admire Izzie for taking something negative and turning it into something positive. Adoption is not easy. Thanks for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've had terrible luck with memoirs in the past months, as most seem inundated with self-congratulatory (not-really-hidden) messages. That's why I'm really drawn to the honesty and candidness by which the author related her story here. Still, the editing would be a turn-off for me. I do hope the author incorporates your suggestions in a future edition. Thanks for this review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It's good that she is honest about her struggles, including with faith. This makes her more relatable as you say - I'm not sure I'd want to read about someone who thinks of themself as a saint.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

crediblereading2 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 10:57 Thank you for your detailed review. I am very touched by this awesome story. I know we can all relate to some of the emotions that Izzie experienced.
I agree. Thanks for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 11:55 Well written review! A realistic book about a real life person is endearing to anyone! I can imagine how inspiring it must've been for you :)
Yes, being able to relate to the characters makes a book so much more powerful! Thank you for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

gen_g wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:01 This sounds like a really touching read! Thank you for your insightful review.
I thought it was... I hope you will get a chance to read it someday. Thanks for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Nimat87 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 04:59 Great review! I'm drawn to Izzie's character already. I like books that mirror reality closely. It keeps the reader connected in all levels.
I agree! Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”