Official Review: Maddie's Chronicle by Daniel O Stuhlman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Maddie's Chronicle by Daniel O Stuhlman

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maddie's Chronicle" by Daniel O Stuhlman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maddie’s Chronicle by Daniel O. Stuhlman is a novel for young adults. The story chronicles the life of Maddie, as she travels from Boston to settle in California. She matures, physically and spiritually, as she makes new friends and strives to solve the mystery of an ancient symbol.

Maddie became an orphan when Indians killed her parents. Her aunt and uncle raised her. They moved to California to pursue a job opportunity. They decided to travel by land, across Mexico. On this trip Maddie uses her drawing ability, to capture on paper, several of the unique things she observes. Later, she is able to incorporate some of these sketches into patterns for weaving projects. One drawing, in particular, is a strange symbol that she observed in several different spots. This symbol disturbs some people and motivates Maddie to discover its significance.

The story line also follows Maddie’s growth from a young girl to a woman. Her impulsive behavior and foolish decisions slowly shift to a loving and thoughtful attitude towards others. Several relationships and difficult experiences test her faith in God and in others.

The setting of the story is California, in the 1800s, as it transitions from a nation to a state. The descriptions of the primitive conditions are excellent. There are numerous and diverse groups that populate the new state. Trappers, Mormons, vaqueros, and sailors contribute to the growth of the region. The novel includes the history of the Donner Party. We learn about their disastrous decision to follow an apparent shortcut through the Sierra Pass. This section contains some strong, but historically accurate, descriptions.

I appreciated the character development. Maddie changes from an impulsive adolescent to a caring and thoughtful woman. Her faith and devotion are an example to others. I also thought the dialogues were real and believable.

I enjoyed the love story that emerges when Maddie finds love. The romance is very sweet without providing explicit details. The description of their honeymoon concentrates on the scenery of undeveloped areas of California. I truly appreciated the author’s efforts to keep the romance wholesome.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The historical facts and the story of Maddie blend into a beautiful and enjoyable story. Nevertheless, the book needs further editing. The spelling and formatting errors are too numerous to overlook.

This book is a well-written novel for readers who enjoy American history and romance. It is appropriate for young readers as there are no sex scenes, and only an occasional use of strong language. All readers will enjoy the beautiful romance as they learn about the history of the founding of the West.

Maddie's Chronicle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Historical fiction provides a fun way to learn about history. I think I’d really enjoy this one. Thanks for the detailed review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

A fun way to learn about American history, or any form of historical occurrence at all, is a welcome idea. I also appreciate the fact that the book is devoid of explicit scenes, while still addressing romance. Thanks for the review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This looks like a well-written book, but it is a pity about the errors. Thanks for the detailed review!
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

This promises to offer a refreshing and educative glimpe into the 1800's, and a read like that is not often found around. Good job!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

stacie k wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 01:21 Historical fiction provides a fun way to learn about history. I think I’d really enjoy this one. Thanks for the detailed review!
There is a lot of history in this novel. Hope you enjoy it, too!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Nimat87 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 02:28 A fun way to learn about American history, or any form of historical occurrence at all, is a welcome idea. I also appreciate the fact that the book is devoid of explicit scenes, while still addressing romance. Thanks for the review.
This book has a nice mix of history and romance. I appreciated the author's efforts to keep the book wholesome.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:01 This looks like a well-written book, but it is a pity about the errors. Thanks for the detailed review!
The errors were a drawback. I really wanted to give this book a 4.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:34 This promises to offer a refreshing and educative glimpe into the 1800's, and a read like that is not often found around. Good job!
I like books that get me searching and reading outside of the novel. This book had me online reading more about several historical facts! So, yes, it was fun to read and educational at the same time!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love clean historical romances and I really appreciate how descriptive and believable this one apparently is. The character development sounds satisfying, too. I want to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Victory11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victory11 »

It is a learning experience how a little girl inspite of the bad experience remain her positive outook in life. I am interested to read this book . More power to the author . Write more good books for us to enjoy. Thanks.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

SamSim wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 07:17 I love clean historical romances and I really appreciate how descriptive and believable this one apparently is. The character development sounds satisfying, too. I want to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
That was a big plus for me, too. Hope you enjoy it!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Victory11 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 08:02 It is a learning experience how a little girl inspite of the bad experience remain her positive outook in life. I am interested to read this book . More power to the author . Write more good books for us to enjoy. Thanks.
The character development of Maddie is well done. Hope you enjoy the book!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a great way to learn about a formative time in American history. I always seem to absorb more facts when I have some emotional investment in the characters.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Historical fiction is always good because I learn facts while reading an enjoyable story. And from your review, it sounds like the author did a great job putting this one together. I like the time period it is set in and the development of California as a background. Nice twist with the main character drawing a symbol to add intrigue. Very nicely done review. It has piqued my interest in this one.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”