Over hyped Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
annahariet
Currently Reading: Fight Club
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annahariet.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Over hyped Movies

Post by annahariet »

Let me start by saying I did not like La La Land. First, I will never understand why they decided to cast non-singers to lead in a musical. I read that the director specifically chose non-singers to represent the realities of life and people and whatnot. If he wanted to make a realistic movie, what was the point of making a musical in the first place? I liked the piano parts. But none of the songs were catchy, and the singing was weak. With these two combined, the songs were bland and unremarkable. In terms of acting, both of the leads were great, but the pacing of the story was too slow for my liking that I ended up not liking the movie altogether.

Additionally, I think The Greatest Showman was just okay. The plot was so-so, and the entire story was skimmed over. My main issue with it is how the characters were never really fleshed out, and we never really see any character development except for Barnum's, and even that was questionable. Another issue is the number of historical inaccuracies in the movie, but that's an entirely different discussion. But unlike in La La Land, the musical numbers in The Greatest Showman are spectacular enough for me to forgive (or at least ignore) most issues I have with the movie.
Nazapeace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nazapeace »

Lol I know guys who think black Panther was over hyped
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I didn't mind La La Land, but I can surely understans your point and can agree. Watching it once was enough for me. Haven't seen the Greatest Showman. It would probably years down the road when it randomly comes on television and I have it on in the background.

Frozen for me was over hyped. Gosh, was I excited when I bought it on DVD to watch and literally had a blank face the whole time. I don't particularly care for the songs. It didn't give me a magical feeling as the Disney animated classics did. However, Tangled, Moana, Coco.. I love. At first I thought it was a generational thing, but it's not.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I loathed Moonlight. I spent the entire film expecting the first act to end, right up until the credits rolled. I admire the balls it took to make the movie; I just wish they'd, you know, hired a writer for it.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I feel that many of the films that are usually awarded at the Academy Awards or at several international festivals receive an exaggerated treatment from critics.

If I had to think of one in particular, it always comes to my mind 2001: A Space Odyssey. I do believe that the visual aspect of the film (special effects, style and Kubrick's work as the director) is extraordinary. Outside of that, the pace is too slow, and there are many things in the plot that are difficult to grasp merely taking into account what the movie shows and tells.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I think Annihilation was over hyped. I found myself routing for the alien to come and end it all. I was even sleepy at a point. I didn't like the movie at all
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I definitely agree with the Greatest Showman especially. It was just okay to me. It seemed that they were trying too hard throughout the movie to appeal to the academy. I also didn't like how certain issues got fixed so easily, as if that were the case in real life.
SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SingularityRising »

Basically all of the Marvel movies. We're so swamped with superhero films at this point it's hard to care
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

KRay93 wrote: 10 May 2018, 10:58 I feel that many of the films that are usually awarded at the Academy Awards or at several international festivals receive an exaggerated treatment from critics.

If I had to think of one in particular, it always comes to my mind 2001: A Space Odyssey. I do believe that the visual aspect of the film (special effects, style and Kubrick's work as the director) is extraordinary. Outside of that, the pace is too slow, and there are many things in the plot that are difficult to grasp merely taking into account what the movie shows and tells.
I agree with you on 2001. It is dramatic the music powerful, the visuals even today are impressive. But wow did it go slow. I saw it as a teenager and then read the books which were amazing, so a lot of the story had become squashed up in my memory with the movie. When I watched it again earlier this year I was amazed how much of the story just wasn't explained, especially in the ending visual overload sequences. Hal though, shiver! Every time I see Disney's Wall-E with the Autopilot so obviously another Hal and I wonder how many kids will never get the reference. There's no way the majority of today's movie goers are gonna sit through a film like 2001. Better luck getting them to read the books.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I think Ready Player One was overhyped. The movie wasn't that great. And why, WHY was there 15 minutes of narration just to set the whole thing up?
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

KRay93 wrote: 10 May 2018, 10:58 I feel that many of the films that are usually awarded at the Academy Awards or at several international festivals receive an exaggerated treatment from critics.
I think that's what you could say about most of the films that have won the Oscar in the last 10 or so years. I mean, look at the movies that won Best Picture in the '90s - Silence of the Lambs, Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List. Now we have movies like The Artist, Hurt Locker and Spotlight. Who quotes those films? Who references and parodies them in popular culture? After watching Moonlight I decided to start ignoring the Oscars because they've become completely irrelevant.

Maybe I went a bit off track with my rant about the Academy Award, but I see people praise these movies and I just don't see what the big deal is.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

AliceofX wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 08:37
I think that's what you could say about most of the films that have won the Oscar in the last 10 or so years. I mean, look at the movies that won Best Picture in the '90s - Silence of the Lambs, Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List. Now we have movies like The Artist, Hurt Locker and Spotlight. Who quotes those films? Who references and parodies them in popular culture? After watching Moonlight I decided to start ignoring the Oscars because they've become completely irrelevant.

Maybe I went a bit off track with my rant about the Academy Award, but I see people praise these movies and I just don't see what the big deal is.
Yes, I suppose it is a trend of these last years. Of those you mentioned, I saw The Hurt Locker and The Artist. While I thought they were good movies, I think there were better alternatives for the big award (in the first case, District 9, Inglorious Basterds and UP, in the second, only The Help among the nominees).

Within this period, I thought The King's Speech was an excellent movie, although I do not put it up to the ones you mentioned from the 90s with the exception of Titanic. Also, I liked both Argo and Birdman (the latter not so much for it to win for Best Picture, although the performances and the camera/editing work are remarkable).
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

KRay93 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 11:44 Yes, I suppose it is a trend of these last years. Of those you mentioned, I saw The Hurt Locker and The Artist. While I thought they were good movies, I think there were better alternatives for the big award (in the first case, District 9, Inglorious Basterds and UP, in the second, only The Help among the nominees).

Within this period, I thought The King's Speech was an excellent movie, although I do not put it up to the ones you mentioned from the 90s with the exception of Titanic. Also, I liked both Argo and Birdman (the latter not so much for it to win for Best Picture, although the performances and the camera/editing work are remarkable).
Well, my point wasn't that the movies were bad (or good) just that they have no impact. Everyone's heard of the, "Run, Forrest, run," and, "They may take our lives," quotes. Hannibal Lecter is an iconic villain. Lord of the Rings is the last Best Picture winner with a huge cultural impact and I doubt that movie would even be nominated today.

Every year we read articles how the Oscar ceremony keeps losing viewers and I keep saying, "Gee, I wonder why?" Who would want to watch an awards show for drama films that no has seen.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The Shape of Water. The whole time I was watching that movie I was thinking "what the?", but apparently a lot of people loved it.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I'm going to be the bad guy and say that Avatar was ok. When it came out the hype was incredible but seriously... it wasn't all that great. Pretty, yes, but it was yet another story of some generic white guy swooping in to save the savages who apparently can't get on without him. My family was obsessed and made me watch it over and over. Ugh. Points for representing the disabled but that's about it.

Return to “Films and Books”