Official Review: So what if another man screws your wife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: So what if another man screws your wife

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "So what if another man screws your wife" by Victor Meenach.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So What If Another Man Screws Your Wife is a book aimed at opening people's minds with regards to their sexuality. Social norms have put severe boundaries on what is right and wrong, and what is culturally acceptable. When it comes to marriage, promiscuity, flirting and jealousy, the collective belief on how to behave is very black and white. Victor Meenach implores the reader to jump out of their societal box, and experiment with their raw animal instincts.

Meenach believes that people are held back by what society and religion consider sexual transgressions. His philosophy centres around the idea of ‘monogamous promiscuity.’ Jealousy and guilt are the cause of all relationships ending, and sexual freedom needs to be achieved in relationships in order for them to be most fulfilling. His theory is that a relationship filled with love can only become stronger if jealousy and guilt are alleviated. The way to do that is to include your partner in all of your sexual escapades… outside your relationship. The idea is that if you and your partner are truly in love, you will understand each other’s animal urges to be promiscuous. You will accept this because your love is unwavering.

The title of this book grabbed my attention straight away. I enjoy a good debate, especially over controversial topics. I wanted to be challenged by the thoughts and notions of the author. I don’t believe I was. There were no eye-opening revelations about how to go about changing your life, just that you should. The chapters, which were all only about one or two pages long, were repetitive. The same concepts were echoed from page to page, almost trying to force the words into the readers head with no backup.

The book is written in a stream-of-consciousness format. I don’t mind this way of writing, but because of the lack of depth, it felt a bit childish. I also think that editing shouldn’t go out of the window because your writing style is whimsical. I couldn’t tell if errors were made intentionally, or if they were real errors. It became quite distracting. Another thing I wasn’t too ecstatic about was at the mention of research. I find it lazy to say, “Some research suggests…” Which research? Who said it? Is it accurate? In another chapter, when talking about medical and scientific research, the author states, “You will have to Google the expert details on your own.” I think basing strong points on flimsy investigation is careless.

Two of the chapters are taken up by Meenach’s personal poems that relate to the subject matter. I thought they were a nice way of breaking up the author’s views, until I got to the last quarter of the book. I then realised that the final chapters consisted of a collection of his poetry. Now, I don’t pull any punches when I say that I am dense when it comes to poetry. I am by no means learned, and have no idea what to look for that makes poetry good or bad. So, I unfortunately can’t comment on his poetry compilation. I would be doing the author a great disservice by saying the things I truly feel, such as, “I liked that they rhymed.” Or, “they tell a great story.” But without any forewarning, I had no idea that almost 30% of this book was poetry. I think a heads-up to the reader is in order.

As a short novel (114 pages), I hoped to get some real insight into the author's philosophies. The problem is that Meenach’s notions are extremely stereotypical. He places feelings and real-life circumstances into boxes that are unmovable. Not every relationship is the same. Not every divorce is forced by cheating. People are capricious, and to suggest that one way of living is right for everyone, is wrong. I am a bit torn with a rating for this one. On the one hand, it was a light-hearted and fun read. On the other hand, it promised more than that. It promised enlightenment and learning, and honestly, I didn’t learn a thing. I therefore give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t go all the way down to one star because I felt that I was unable to give a thorough review of the poetry section of the book. I enjoyed it, but can’t give any accurate criticisms at all.

I would recommend this book to couples seeking a controversial shift in their relationship to ‘spice things up.’ I would not recommend this book to anyone who is against cheating, promiscuity and extra-marital affairs. All in all, I think this line sums it up rather well: “Just do it and proceed to mutual joy and trust without jealousy at all.”

So what if another man screws your wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

This one is a total no-no for me. Apart from the overall theme being unappealing, the fact that the author tried to broach an unpopular ground, that encourages some free-thinking, yet is being stereotypical is ironic. And that's just a few of many things that turn me off about the book. Thanks for your detailed review!
tkrapish
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkrapish.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by tkrapish »

The title of the book caught my attention as well. I was considering reading the book just because of curiosity. Thank you for explaining that there was no new ideas because this is the reason I would have taken a chance on the book.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

This seems like it wouldn't be my kind of book. Thanks for your review. The title grabbed me as well, and now I know that I don't want to read it.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
omarmohammad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by omarmohammad »

The title grabbed me as well, and now I know that I don't want to read it. its not nice book
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Yeah - this book isn't for me, but good job on the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder what spurred the author to write this story. It made me recall 30th Century Escape and Jennifer Hero. That character's marriage seems to be the perfect example for the controversial lesson this book teaches. I don't think I'll need that lesson anytime soon.

Thanks for taking the challenge to read and review this book, Bianka Walter!
Bollyjjay
Currently Reading:

Post by Bollyjjay »

The title will surely attract lots of attention, this book is not just for me, neither is it for those in a committed compassionate relationship,well just as the reviewer said "if you wish to just shift and spice things up in your relationship" you can go for it. anyways *nice review*
vddjhedz14

Post by vddjhedz14 »

This book is not my type. Yeah, we're now in a modern world. Most people are now liberated but we must not forget our traditions and the teachings of our religion specially Catholic which prohibits the way the author wants to deliver in this book.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Open relationships do work for some, but the general fact that the author is unable to support his arguments makes this book a no-no for me. Thanks for the detailed review! (:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

gen_g wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 21:19 Open relationships do work for some, but the general fact that the author is unable to support his arguments makes this book a no-no for me. Thanks for the detailed review! (:
Exactly. One must be able to support one's arguments.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

The title of the book caught my attention too. I was curious to find out how the author sought to drive home such an unpopular viewpoint. Alas! he couldn't. Great review by the way.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 11:21 This one is a total no-no for me. Apart from the overall theme being unappealing, the fact that the author tried to broach an unpopular ground, that encourages some free-thinking, yet is being stereotypical is ironic. And that's just a few of many things that turn me off about the book. Thanks for your detailed review!
As it turns out, it was one of the many things that turned me off too!
Thanks so much for the comments :)
tkrapish wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 12:11 The title of the book caught my attention as well. I was considering reading the book just because of curiosity. Thank you for explaining that there was no new ideas because this is the reason I would have taken a chance on the book.
Well, I'm glad I took one for the team :) Thanks so much for commenting.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

omarmohammad wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 15:39 The title grabbed me as well, and now I know that I don't want to read it. its not nice book
It is a gripping title! Thanks for commenting.
Laura Del wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 14:45 This seems like it wouldn't be my kind of book. Thanks for your review. The title grabbed me as well, and now I know that I don't want to read it.
I'm glad I could put it in perspective for you :) The title is definitely something that draws people in!
Thanks for taking time to comment.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 16:23 Yeah - this book isn't for me, but good job on the review.
You're not the only one, I think this book is aimed at a very select group of people.
Thanks for commenting :)
Bollyjjay wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 19:52 The title will surely attract lots of attention, this book is not just for me, neither is it for those in a committed compassionate relationship,well just as the reviewer said "if you wish to just shift and spice things up in your relationship" you can go for it. anyways *nice review*
Well, exactly. Committed is the right word - and I think this book stomps on that idea a bit.
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”