Official Review: The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama Fro...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama Fro...

Post by Christina O Phillips »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama From The Train" by Dr Janice Hooker Fortman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Relationships are not always the easiest things in our lives; the ones with our parents can be especially trying and the ones between mothers and daughters even more so. So how can we, as a mother or a daughter, improve said relationship? Enter The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama From The Train.

Written by Dr. Janice Hooker Fortman, The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama From The Train is a non-fiction book that looks more closely at the relationships between mothers and daughters. It is mostly memoir, as a lot of the book (especially the beginning) focuses on Dr. Fortman’s own difficult relationship with her mother, but there are also stories from other women (friends and strangers she has had contact with online) and advice for how to improve communication and your connection with your own mom. At only 104 pages, it was a quick but useful read for me.

People learn differently and one way to learn is to look at examples. This book is full of stories, not only of the author and her mother, but other women and their own tense situations or arguments with their mothers. A reader could look at them and see what happened to someone else and what went wrong and then think about how to apply this new lesson to their own life. If the reader is unable to think in that way, Dr. Fortman makes explicit suggestions and tips based on both research and experience. She even used specific situations for examples and then gave clear suggestions for these. For example, there was a story about a mother and daughter who argued over grocery shopping and then advice on what to do to improve the shopping experience. While some of the stories shared by others and Dr. Fortman were about daughters who were at the stage where they had to care more for their moms (driving them places, etc.), there were enough situations shared so that the book can be relatable not just for daughters who are caretaking, but really any mother or daughter.

Not only does the book include Dr. Fortman’s own reflections and expertise, but she also included studies and other doctors’ research (who are all given credit in the source list included in the novel). This was all very useful and made me attentive to the advice given, but as I was reading I found myself wishing that the book was more research-oriented than memoir. I want to know more about specific suggestions to help in more situations, not just the ones in the book. This is not necessarily a negative about the book, just my own desire for more information from Dr. Fortman. There were some errors that I noticed in spacing (double indents, for example) and punctuation, but nothing so glaring that it detracted from my reading. I think the book could have been better organized to help the book have a better flow. For example, there was a survey mentioned at the beginning of the book that was sent to and filled out by many women “some were given by women I know and others were given anonymously…” and later all the answers were just listed in a separate chapter without much narration surrounding them.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I could not rate it a 4 due to the errors that I listed above and the organizational issues. While I read, I wanted the book to be more than just a memoir with more research and more information, but I will definitely be looking at Dr. Fortman’s blog and other writings for more on this subject. It was a relatable and an enjoyable read, great for mothers and daughters with any kind of strain in their relationship or for those wanting to better understand these relationships.

The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama From The Train
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A book to help mothers and daughters work on their relationships is certainly worthwhile. Human relationships can be difficult and strained at times, with the mother/daughter bond a particularly emotional one. Enjoyed your review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like it is brief, but packs an informational punch. I like the practicality of this book and its subject - we can all do better in all of our relationships. The title immediately caught my attention and actually made me laugh. I think I will be checking this one out. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Christina O Phillips

joshfee77 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 23:40 A book to help mothers and daughters work on their relationships is certainly worthwhile. Human relationships can be difficult and strained at times, with the mother/daughter bond a particularly emotional one. Enjoyed your review!
Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it.
Christina O Phillips

SamSim wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 06:08 This sounds like it is brief, but packs an informational punch. I like the practicality of this book and its subject - we can all do better in all of our relationships. The title immediately caught my attention and actually made me laugh. I think I will be checking this one out. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, it is very informative. I hope you enjoy it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great resource for struggling families.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is very thoughtful of the author to write this book. It should fix many different types of relationships. Thank you for your splendid review.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Relationships between mother and daughter are one of the most complicated and conflicting things in the world. I’m looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review (and too bad about the errors)
Berry :wine:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”