Official Review: The American Dream Door to Door Milliona...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: The American Dream Door to Door Milliona...

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The American Dream Door to Door Millionaire ls" by Dwight Treadwell, Sr.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The American Dream Door to Door Millionaires is a motivational how-to book by Dwight Treadwell Sr. and his son, William Treadwell Sr. This book focuses on the tools and tricks of the trade to become successful in door to door sales. Readers will not only learn the mechanics for proper advertising and sales etiquette, they will also get a primer on the very important mental preparations and affirmations that one must perform to successfully do the job at hand.

The book starts off with a personal background by the eldest Treadwell. He shares how, as a pre-teen, he was motivated to earn more than his allowance money so he could successfully embark on the complex and expensive world of dating. William’s story then went a little farther and details how he began his professional sales career between college semesters. He started out selling home alarm systems door to door and then moved on to more lucrative home satellite systems. As a college student, he was able to earn a six figure income devoting just his summers to managing and performing door to door sales. The remainder of the book details the statistics, mechanics, and advice to help someone become successful selling and managing teams of door to door marketers.

As someone who has never been brave enough to attempt door to door sales, I found the book to be an interesting glimpse into a completely alien world. It was eye opening for me to see just how much earning potential is out there for someone who is motivated and driven. This quick read would be ideal for a young person who is considering a summer job between college semesters or who is looking to forgo college and jump straight into the working world. This book could also be helpful for someone who is already in the industry and finds themselves struggling. At its core, this book is an effective motivational push.

While there are people who could potentially benefit from this book, it is not without its issues. There is a decisive lack of editing and proofreading. On the first page alone, I counted fourteen spelling, grammar, or formatting errors. This pattern continues throughout the book. In some cases, paragraphs are up to two pages long and the inclusion of some really cheesy clichés made me roll my eyes. Much of the information is opinion gleaned from the authors’ years of doing sales, but it is often cursory and those looking for a more detailed or substantive tome about marketing will be disappointed. Changes in perspective added confusion as it shifted between the father and son without letting the reader know who is presenting the information.

One chapter entitled “How To Identify The True Decision Maker” was rather effective in getting my hackles raised. While I understand that many households still fall under more traditional gender roles, the authors could have addressed this issue with a larger helping of tact. According to the Treadwells, there are masculine and feminine things that the man or little lady of the house make the final decisions on. Masculine things include insurance, lawns, tools, vehicles, vacations, and recreation. Women get to make the decisions on things like beauty/hair, clothing, children, kitchens, bedding, and religion. While they do point out that there are no hard and fast rules for who is the final decision maker in the house, the 1960s tone set in this chapter was more than a little off-putting. It also flies in the face of not letting preconceived notions prevent you from effectively marketing to a household.

Books like this are hard to assign a rating to because they have some value but are completely unpolished. It is really hard to accept marketing advice from someone who is stressing the importance of being thorough and detail oriented when they couldn’t bother to have someone proofread a book that takes less than three hours to read. While the book held my interest for the short time it took to read it, I don’t see many people gleaning serious marketing advice from it. I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It would have garnered a higher rating if it had spent some serious time in front of a professional editor.

The American Dream Door to Door Millionaire ls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I suppose it makes sense that it had old school notions. Door to door sales is fast becoming a thing of the past. When I think of a door to door salesman, I think of someone selling encyclopedias. With the internet and through the line marketing, I think door to door is becoming redundant pretty quickly.
Thanks for the awesome review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Too bad to hear about editing mistakes. Overall the book is quite informative and interesting. But I think in today's world when online marketing has taken a major chunk, the scope of door to door marketing is going down. However, in many places and countries it still has its importance. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your detailed review! This book seems like it has a couple of gems of advice in it, but unpolished due to obsolete perspectives and grammatical errors. Like Bianka mentioned, door to door sales is indeed becoming redundant, so I suppose there's that to consider as well.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Not to be overly harsh, but is the trade of door-to-door sales even remotely marketable today? I find it hard to garner interest in a book that promotes an antiquated system.

(Also, I love that you’ve used the word “tome.” It reminds me of my nerdy World of Warcraft days... :lol2: )
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Door-to-door will still work for the elderly and those with no access to technology. Perhaps these are the people that the Treadwells sell to; that explains their antiquated notions.

I, too, cannot fathom why an author would courageously offer a book to the public without having it thoroughly cleansed of errors. Maybe such authors should be required to put the following warning on their books: BEWARE: Unedited. May cause headaches and confusion.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I am SO not a salesperson nor do I want to become one. So even if this was rated 4 stars, I probably wouldn't read it. It does not appeal to me. Add in a 1 star rating, and I'm definitely avoiding this one. Thanks for making it all the way through for us, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

While my sales background made this initially interesting to me, the high concentration of errors and the archaic attitude about household structure or gender roles really put me off. Thanks for the balanced review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I have tried sales a few times and I’m terrible at it. I don’t think any book could change that. I also find it disheartening how most successful sales are based on manipulation and tricks.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 02:48 Not to be overly harsh, but is the trade of door-to-door sales even remotely marketable today? I find it hard to garner interest in a book that promotes an antiquated system.

(Also, I love that you’ve used the word “tome.” It reminds me of my nerdy World of Warcraft days... :lol2: )
Now I can't stop envisioning an Tauren hunter showing up at my doorstep trying to sell me a satellite system...(yeah, I got sucked into that game too...)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I'm just opposed to any books that link the American dream to earning money. Success in life involves so much more than your earning potential.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 11:13
Now I can't stop envisioning an Tauren hunter showing up at my doorstep trying to sell me a satellite system...(yeah, I got sucked into that game too...)
Ahem...I think you mean gnome mage :snooty:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

You have given a detailed and honest review of this book. I am sure it will inspire persons who have a natural drive for sales. Sorry about the editorial problems.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

“You must be thorough and detail-oriented, but I can’t be bothered getting this book proofread so I’ll just publish it with hundreds of errors.” Hilarious! People do make themselves look foolish sometimes. Thanks for a great review.
Social Butterfly
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly »

CommMayo wrote: 28 May 2018, 11:20 It is really hard to accept marketing advice from someone who is stressing the importance of being thorough and detail oriented when they couldn’t bother to have someone proofread a book that takes less than three hours to read.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
I have a natural drive for sales so I was immediately drawn to the title. But it's completely hilarious that the author didn't even bother to proofread this simple book. For marketing advice, I guess I'll look elsewhere.
Look your reviews by the way 8-)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”