Are the books better or are the films better?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Sunnepha2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Are the books better or are the films better?

Post by Sunnepha2018 »

Books are more better and important than films. This will ensure the variability of the printed books than films which could be misplaced.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

Pretty much all books to me are better than the movies. Except for Mary Reilly. That book (I hate to say it) was boring. The movie is so much better. But then there are things like the Harry Potter series, and the books are better than the movies. Although, the first two movies were very close to the books. I guess it all depends on how much you enjoy the story of the book, in order to determine whether or not the movie is better... if that makes any sense.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Patrick Dumnoi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Patrick Dumnoi »

Movies are unique in their own way, books as well. I don’t think it’s necessary to figure out which is the better medium as they both fulfill different needs people have in terms of storytelling.
I read a novel for the length, the immersion, the prose, the beauty of the language, the whole world that this language invokes in my mind, the character which faces I also have to imagine, etc, etc…. All of this mixed together gives a peculiar, completely different adventure from that of watching a movie. It does demand more concentration and imagination.
But, that doesn’t mean movies are any less intelligent or entertaining. Filmmaking is hard work. Trying to slip a powerful story within a couple of hundred pages is incredibly difficult in its own right, and so is the craft of directing a movie or just creating its sound effect or else. With a book, we just see the writing and think of the author sat behind their desk, penning words. With movies, I imagine a whole team behind the camera making something for our entertainment that they are sweating and having insomnia over. All this makes me respect movies just as much as I respect the ordeal of the writer and their publishing team : what matters is that someone is creating a story for you and putting all of their souls into it. I watch a movie when I want the immediacy of the image, when I want someone to hand me a well-packed story with clear faces, a soundtrack, established settings… the immediacy is everything. That’s what we love about movies, and also the fact that they rarely go over two hours and thus manage to bring us a different kind of storytelling experience : something short and concise, which gives this medium its own power.
It’s always interesting to pinpoint the differences and similarities between the two, but it’s impossible to say if books are objectively better than movies. At least to me. They are two different ways to escape and I have an equal and enormous love for both.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Books are always better since they are not limited by a screen time.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

I find books better than films because books are more detailed than films :)
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Books from which movies are made from are always much more detailed and more interesting. They will always be bits the movies cannot accommodate and makes them more enjoyable
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

want to start a fight or what? ALWAYS THE BOOKS ARE WAY BETTER AND AWESOME than any movie adaptation. period. look at any books and movie adaptations. and some exceptional cases are perks of being a wallflower cause the director and author are the same person.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Movies are better! They give you the opportunity to add your creativity and imagination to an existing Story.

Return to “Films and Books”