Official Review: THE WAY I SEE IT: A Head-to-Toe Guide to...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: THE WAY I SEE IT: A Head-to-Toe Guide to...

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "THE WAY I SEE IT: A Head-to-Toe Guide to Common Orthopedic Conditions" by Thomas neviaser, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever gone to the physician's office and come out even more perplexed than you had been before going in? You are given a diagnosis and treatment. However, you have no idea what the Latin term given to you as a diagnosis means. What is actually happening in your body? Which parts are affected and what went wrong? That is where The Way I See It: A Head-To-Toe Guide to Common Orthopaedic Conditions comes in.

The book is a reference guide written in layman's terms by Thomas J. Neviaser, MD. He has used his years of experience as an orthopaedic surgeon to write this guide which outlines different orthopaedic conditions. The author does this by introducing us to the different parts of our bodies, explaining how they work together, and what can potentially go wrong. He goes a step further by discussing available treatments for each diagnosis. His aim is to help people to make sense of the diagnosis they are given. It is also to prepare them before going in to see their orthopedist. Phonetic spellings of each of the medical terms are given. Thus, he enables patients to have a meaningful discussion with their physician about their condition.

The title is fitting as the book is organized into different body members starting from the head to the toes. The author has a logical approach to expound his knowledge. He uses diagrams and analogies as aides to break down these complicated bodily processes in a manner which the rest of us can understand. For example, he creates a vivid mind picture of what happens when an intervertebral disc "slips" by comparing it to an old golf ball. This analogy is still fresh in my mind, and if need be, I could easily explain what a slipped disc is to someone else.

In the introduction, the author admits that readers may still be confused by his attempts at explaining the underlaying causes of certain conditions because those processes are complex. Overall, he did a pretty good job. There were only a few times when I had to reread his explanation in order to understand the idea or process he was trying to convey. I will admit, it does require a certain degree of concentration. I advise taking notes as you read this book. Take time to study the diagrams, and if you don't understand any of the medical terms, look them up in the glossary at the back of the book. This will facilitate a smoother reading experience.

My only real annoyance was having to scroll up or down a few pages to find diagrams that were referred. I understand, however, that certain diagrams were used repeatedly for separate conditions involving the same areas. Therefore, those diagrams could not be placed on the same page as all the different conditions.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have a clearer understanding of orthopaedic conditions, their causes, symptoms, and treatments. However, this was not the only benefit. I now know how my bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles function, which is priceless. The author includes a few preventative measures, thus widening the audience. You don't have to be someone who is dealing with a particular orthopaedic problem to read this book. I recommend it to all those who would like to learn more about their bodies and how to care for it.

THE WAY I SEE IT: A Head-to-Toe Guide to Common Orthopedic Conditions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review - it seems like a great reference book.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Very interesting. I definitely want to know how to take better care of my body. Thank you for the review. I'm definitely going to give this book a try.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Where has this book been all my life? I have a few orthopedic conditions and could certainly have used something approachable and practical like this as a reference over the years. I'm glad people are publishing useful works like this one. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't feel that I have a use for this book at the moment, but it does sound like a good general guide. So many times you leave a doctor's office feeling so confused. This would greatly help to clear things up. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lizz isowe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizz isowe »

This book is of great importance to everyone.I have ever been with a person so dear to me who got into an accident that caused total hip replacement.... To me....its wonderful.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

SamSim wrote: 31 May 2018, 06:43 Where has this book been all my life? I have a few orthopedic conditions and could certainly have used something approachable and practical like this as a reference over the years. I'm glad people are publishing useful works like this one. Thanks for the great review!
I couldn't agree more. This particular author took pains to ensure that his readers actually grasp each process or concept. Useful, understandable books like these are gems!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I LOVE THE HUMAN BODY. I know that sounds weird but bear with me. I've always loved learning about all the amazing things our bodies are capable of so this sounds like a great, practical read to learn a thing or two.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”