Official Review: Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey" by Margaret P Barnhart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey is a nonfiction book by Margaret P. Barnhart.

Early in the year of 1987, Margaret felt a lump in her breast. Soon after, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and was scheduled for a mastectomy. Then, her internist called her and told her about the need for chemotherapy. Margaret states, "Suddenly, the accumulation of wisdom and experience was inadequate. My religious beliefs flew away. I felt lost." Her experience with cancer threw her into emotional turmoil. Initially, she used the writing and artwork contained in this book as therapy and as a means to express herself creatively. She later decided to publish it because she realized that many still battle against cancer and the wild range of emotions that come with it. She wanted them to know that they are not alone.

Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey contains the author's narration about her battle against cancer. It also contains beautiful, heartfelt pieces of poetry. Some of these pieces were written at the author's lowest points. Let me highlight just two of my favourites. One piece, "A Hand Full of Hair", touched me to the core. This poem is about the author's pain when she realised that she was losing her hair. Another piece, "Loss of Hair", brought to light how that side effect of chemotherapy brought up so many unexpected feelings and questions. Was it vanity that caused her so much pain over this loss? Or, was it because it was one more reminder that she had cancer? I think others who are battling cancer will be able to identify with the raw feelings expressed in these poems.

Another wonderful feature is the artwork and illustrations. I loved that the author added commentary and discussed when and how she came to create those visual pieces. They took me through a range of emotions. Especially the drawing where she is limply carrying daffodils, which were just another reminder for her that she had cancer.

This book was self published. This is apparent in its formatting. However, I feel that it adds to the book's free-flowing feel. The author's honest expressions are not stifled by strict formatting rules. Yet, it is still neat and pleasant to the eye. It is not cluttered or chaotic.

I cannot think of a single thing that I disliked about this book. I have to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all those fighting the same battle against cancer that the author fought. I believe it will be a source of comfort. I also recommend it to those without cancer. It will help you to appreciate the inner strength required by cancer patients and survivors.

Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There are so many people who go through this. It's nice to have someone share their experiences so that others can relate when going through something similar. I wish the author luck in her journey and hope that she continues to beat this disease!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What a wonderful way for a cancer survivor to come forward after all the pain and struggle and give others a touch of comfort through her own experience. I have found in life that I cannot fully comprehend another person's struggles if I have not had that circumstance personally. So, to have a person who had to walk that road to the other side, and she documented that journey through poetry and artwork..what a gem of literature for all to read. I would find this especially useful maybe in a cancer treatment center as a useful tool to not only help the physical side of the patient, but to help the mind stay in peace. Great review. Thank you.
Everything happens for a reason...
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is great that the author found an outlet for her pain and suffering. Even better that it will help others in that same predicament.
vishwas+1
Currently Reading: English,August
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by vishwas+1 »

Battling cancer is really difficult.The review tells us the emotional and physical pain the writer went through.How initially she used her writing as just a therapy but later decided to share it with the whole world through this book.Incredible!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Breast cancer and other forms of cancer are debilitating and usually fatal diseases of the body. Anyone affected by them feels so lost and hopeless because they usually lead to death. In this age of information, there are many natural aids for treating cancer, instead of resorting to chemotherapy. For example, putting the gel from the aloe plant into a glass of water and drinking it before going to bed each night, can aid in fighting the cancer cells.
kinyaemulatyamatt
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: When Ice Cream is Not Enough
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinyaemulatyamatt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by kinyaemulatyamatt »

Not many people are enlightened about cancer. It is very interesting that the author decided to share her experience with the entire populaces. I should go through "Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey" to be acquainted with the knowledge about cancer.
kinyaemulatyamatt
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: When Ice Cream is Not Enough
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinyaemulatyamatt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by kinyaemulatyamatt »

Not many people are enlightened about breast cancer. it is very intriguing that the author made up her mind to share her experience with the entire populaces. I envisage to be acquainted with the knowledge about breast cancer after going through "Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey".
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 14:17 What a wonderful way for a cancer survivor to come forward after all the pain and struggle and give others a touch of comfort through her own experience. I have found in life that I cannot fully comprehend another person's struggles if I have not had that circumstance personally. So, to have a person who had to walk that road to the other side, and she documented that journey through poetry and artwork..what a gem of literature for all to read. I would find this especially useful maybe in a cancer treatment center as a useful tool to not only help the physical side of the patient, but to help the mind stay in peace. Great review. Thank you.
I agree completely. It really was brave of her to share her experience. Its a beautiful book.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This does sound like a very special book - I may this recommendation on to someone who would really appreciate it. Many thanks.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:

Libs_Books wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 14:43 This does sound like a very special book - I may this recommendation on to someone who would really appreciate it. Many thanks.
I hope it will be of comfort to them.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
Ezeoje_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ezeoje_1 »

By this book the writer appears to have grace to revive all sunken already by the devastating disease. The writer has also reframe the perspective of others about cancer. It is like a stone projected for multipurpose task.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

This sounds like an amazing book. I've had two people very close to me who have had mastectomies. I know the pain and struggles that every person close to them went through.

It's wonderful that the author was able to channel her emotions through writing and artwork. It took courage and compassion for others for Margaret P. Barnhart to share her story. What a blessing it is, to have women like this in the world.

I enjoyed your review. It shows that the book is not just about struggling through the ordeal, but also finding beauty in the midst of it all. Thank you. 💕
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

This looks like an excellent self inspirational book. I will be praying for Margaret as she continues her journey.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Thank you for your review. The word cancer in any form is a scary thing to hear. I think the author telling her story might give other cancer patients an idea of what they will be facing. I know I would have appreciated knowing what I was facing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”