Review by cpru68 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by cpru68 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been driving behind a construction crew that is methodically laying down the white dashed lines on a newly paved road? Up until that moment you probably barely gave a glance to those tiny marks and just took them for granted. They discreetly do their job of keeping you safe on your side of the road out of harm's way as you travel in the direction you need to go. Without those lines of demarcation, our roadways would be hazardous and chaotic. How can something so small and nearly unnoticeable have such a powerful impact on our society?

This is the subject that Rob White brings to the forefront in his book And Then I Met Margaret. He writes about seemingly insignificant people and events in his life that changed his thinking for the better. The book begins with a heartfelt story of his Aunt Theresa who taught him valuable lessons over multiple games of Old Maid during his childhood. From there, each chapter accentuates either a person or an incident that helped him embrace a new perspective that left him wiser and often more compassionate.

The tone of this book is rather calming. We live in a world where we are taught that if we don't rush ahead, and if we don't adhere to a fast pace we will miss out on all that is important. This piece of literature gives us the permission to slow down and become aware of the helpful messengers and messages that are surrounding us continually. The emphasis of the writing is that simplicity is where you will find great meaning for your life. Through his chapters of storytelling, he encourages readers to pay attention not only to the quiet advice of those around us but also to listen attentively to the small inner voice that often is instructing and warning during times of decision making.

I found the most enjoyable aspect of this book to be the myth that he would state at the beginning of the chapter. For example, in Chapter 4 he writes: "Learn to fit in; play it safe-it's right and proper." The writing that follows is about how he had to confront an authority figure and stand his ground on an issue where he knew he was right. At the time he was a child, so to do this took a lot of courage to adhere to what he believed. In the end, he prevailed, and the situation went in his favor. At the conclusion of the story, he states: "Be true to thyself-It's always right and beautiful." This is the core theme of the entire book where the author displays how he transitioned his thinking that seemed so concrete to a new understanding.

I could not find one negative drawback about this book. There are no grammar or editing issues that I noted. I think most people who enjoy true life stories would find themselves laughing at some of the narratives and the next minute grabbing the tissue box to wipe away tears. For those who don't like non-fiction this probably would not be their choice for reading. For its superior way of being relatable and at the same time awakening readers to a higher level of awareness, I give this positive and encouraging book a 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review. I love your introductory paragraph...it really drew me into the rest of your review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love the advice of just slowing down. You are so right in saying that we need to keep up with the times, and it causes us to zoom through life and miss some of the small beauties.
I loved this review, thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:57 Great review. I love your introductory paragraph...it really drew me into the rest of your review.
I so appreciate your comments regarding my review. I was uncertain if I had made my point clear in the opening paragraph. Thank you for your kindness! I so appreciate it. 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 12:55 I love the advice of just slowing down. You are so right in saying that we need to keep up with the times, and it causes us to zoom through life and miss some of the small beauties.
I loved this review, thanks so much!
Thank you for your sweet comments! The book was so inspiring and we don’t relax enough. I truly appreciate you reading and commenting on my review. 😊

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”