Official Review: The Golden Peacock by Lauren B. Grossman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Golden Peacock by Lauren B. Grossman

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Golden Peacock" by Lauren B. Grossman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Golden Peacock is a poignant, intriguing and suspenseful novel written by Lauren B. Grossman.

Rainee Allen, an author from Boston whose debut novel is turned into a movie, is suffering from a case of writer’s block. Trying to come up with an idea for a new novel, Rainee rummages through her drawer and comes across a passport, a souvenir she received from the US Holocaust Museum six years ago. It belonged to Jana Lutken from Frechen, Germany whose birthday was the same as that of Rainee only thirty years earlier. The connection is not lost on Rainee and she decides to make Jana the muse of her new novel.

Rainee’s research on Jana’s life takes her to London and Berkhamsted, and finally leads her to a nursing home on Chalton St. where Jana, now in her late seventies, is a resident with early onset dementia. Little does Rainee know that her research will lead her to long-held secrets, place not only her but also her friends and Jana in danger, and put her between two men one of whom triggers the memories of Jana’s past.

This is a moving, intriguing and suspenseful book that depicts the horror of the Holocaust. It describes in painful details the atrocities suffered by the German Jews in the hands of the Nazis as families were divided, parents were killed and children were orphaned. Besides that horrible period in history, the book also portrays not only prejudice and discrimination but also a person’s sense of self-preservation and strength of character. The touch of romance lends levity to an otherwise lamentable subject.

The book has a steady pacing and is told alternately between the first person perspective of Jana Lutken as she narrates the story of her life since 1938 and the third person perspective featuring the author Rainee Allen as she searches for Jana. This strategy in addition to the unexpected twists and turns keep the readers in suspense as we await the inevitable convergence of the past events and the present time in the book that leads to a satisfying climax.

Moreover, the author creates several endearing characters including Jana Lutken, the Holocaust survivor; Rainee Allen, the caring and thoughtful book author; John Pritchard, the kind nursing facility director; Martin Wagner, the unsettling doctor and dutiful son and Gloria Wickham, the motherly and nurturing woman who treated Jana as her own daughter.

While my favorite part of the book is the revelation of the connection between Jana and the visiting doctor, I think the most important part is the depiction of a person’s strength of character, that unimaginable will to survive and that seemingly irrational sense of optimism, hanging on that thin thread of hope that, somehow somewhere, he or she will be reunited with his/her loved one.

Needless to say I enjoyed this book a lot. However, I would appreciate additional information on some characters. The way they were dismissed from the book made me feel a little incomplete. Moreover, the ending, though satisfying, felt kind of ‘rushed’ to me. Finally, I noticed some errors within the entire book which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is touching, inspiring and suspenseful. I recommend it to readers of historical fiction, suspense and romance. Some scenes of violence and abuse, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

The Golden Peacock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The story is touching and the main character is unique. Thanks for the review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like such an inspiring story. Mixing that with suspense and a bit of thrill sounds like it could be a really enjoyable way to explore such a difficult subject.
Adeniji
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adeniji »

I like the story. So emotional
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

A rated 4-4stars awful reviewed book of historical fiction,suspense,romance,scene of violence and abuse,not suitable for young readers.A fascinating story narration by the author whose earlier novel was produce in movie,Rainee Allen suffered from writer's block;while about writing a new novel found in her drawer passport and a sourvenir she received from US holocaust museum 6years ago,sincerely i don't like reading book with suspense production,but i hope this highly rated book will your attreaction
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review, it seems like an interesting and inspiring read. I am intending to place this on my to-read list.
Kris kale23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kris kale23 »

The story is touching and the main character is unique. Thanks for the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 29 May 2018, 05:28 The story is touching and the main character is unique. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:54 This sounds like such an inspiring story. Mixing that with suspense and a bit of thrill sounds like it could be a really enjoyable way to explore such a difficult subject.
It sure is inspiring. Thank you for the comment.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Adeniji wrote: 29 May 2018, 09:01 I like the story. So emotional
It is, indeed, emotional.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gen_g wrote: 29 May 2018, 11:35 Thanks for the detailed review, it seems like an interesting and inspiring read. I am intending to place this on my to-read list.
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Dnonso2705
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Dnonso2705 »

The book actually portrays so many things. It's actually full of horrors and mysterious things but teaches a lot. It has a nice story line as well. It shows the effectiveness of willing and ability to survive. I think it's very nice book.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This sounds like an incredible read, although it does sound a little emotionally heavy. It's always interesting when two different perspectives are used, though, especially when it's the book alternating between first- and third-person--it's a hard feat to pull off both equally well, although this novel definitely seems to have done it from the 4-star review you gave it! Thank you for your insightful review, I might just put this book on my to-read list :)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

What a great premise! The irresistible combination of history, romance, mystery, and suspense has me all excited to read this one. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Dnonso2705 wrote: 30 May 2018, 06:16 The book actually portrays so many things. It's actually full of horrors and mysterious things but teaches a lot. It has a nice story line as well. It shows the effectiveness of willing and ability to survive. I think it's very nice book.
It sure is a nice book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”