Review by crediblereading2 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Review by crediblereading2 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is an awe-inspiring autobiography of author Rob White, which instructs its audience on how to remove old stereotypical ideas and readjust one’s selfish way of thinking to one which is more selfless in order to have a more meaningful and fulfilled life. The book is presented in the form of a conspectus which relates his life’s story in chronological order, from his humble beginnings to him becoming a successful and accomplished entrepreneur. The story promotes self-inspection and highlights that everyone is important in the whole scheme of life. Everyone is interconnected and all learn from and affect each other in one way or another.

At an early age, Rob White was taught a very important lesson. He learned that ‘success is possible and not probable’and he has used this transformative value to propel his approach throughout life as it concerns attaining wealth and success. He knows that in order for him to be successful he should not wait around for wealth to be thrust upon him but instead work hard for success to happen through his efforts.

Rob soon finds out that gaining all the material wealth that the world offers is not enough to satisfy his inner feelings of self-actualization, therefore, he sets out on a quest to quell this need. His journey takes him to places such as Denver, New Orleans, Honolulu, and Africa. He meets with many famous gurus and celebrities such as Stephen Covey and Marianne Williamson and gains much-needed life lessons from them but it is actually his encounter with Margaret, a young child, that impacts and impresses him the most. Because it is indeed Margaret’s simplistic yet thought-provoking question which causes a revamping of his mind and which actually jolts him from his quixotic and selfish viewpoint of life to the way that he is actually supposed to view it.

What I enjoy most about this book, is the engaging, honest, humble, and sometimes whimsical manner in which the author narrates the story. I also love the fact that Mr. White is able to point out his errors regarding his belief that life revolves around certain myths. He is however lucky enough to realize that they are just myths and therefore, was able to correct these views by taking instead, a more realistic approach to life. I must point out, that I have an issue at the section where Mr. White watches a Maasai mother, hands over her child who is still alive to a ravenous hyaena, in the name of observing African tradition. I believe that he could have saved the child’s life instead of pleasing the villagers.

Author White has succeeded in capturing my attention with his use of vivid imagery based on his choice palette of words. The story is told using the first person and the moods throughout the book are humility, self-introspection, and fulfillment. I have observed practically no errors in the passages and therefore I unhesitatingly give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wishes to gain the confidence that is necessary to establish genuine and meaningful relationships and to become successful in whatever chosen career.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

What a wonderful review of this book. I’ve been kind of burned out on self-help books lately, but your review makes me think this one might be more worthwhile than I had originally thought. I’ll have to keep this one open as a possibility.
crediblereading2

Kendra M Parker wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 10:19 What a wonderful review of this book. I’ve been kind of burned out on self-help books lately, but your review makes me think this one might be more worthwhile than I had originally thought. I’ll have to keep this one open as a possibility.
Thank you for your comment. It is indeed a very honest and down-to-earth approach on how to reach one's full potential.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Great review! I already read this book. As you wrote, this book is very engaging and give us really good advice. I read a lot of reviews, and not everyone thinks the same.
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

This is an incredibly well written review! I do not tend to read self-help books, but your description was very powerful and I am intrigued enough to check it out.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like you really loved the book. I liked it, though maybe a bit less than you did. I had a couple of problems that I outlined in my review. But, like you, I appreciated the ordinary guru concept and the myth and transformed belief format to each chapter. Our impressions diverge a bit at the Maasai mother story. I just couldn't imagine a scenario when it would feel ok for an outsider to be witnessing this type of very personal and emotional cultural rite. That was what felt somewhat strange to me.
Thanks for the really great review!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I agree with some of your points here. I have read the book as well, although I did not enjoy it as you did. The story of the Maasai mother is one of the things that did feel strange.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I read and reviewed this book too and I agree with your ratings. Good observation about the Maasai's mother I just assumed there was no hospitals or something and he clearly was not a medical practitioner but I could be wrong.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I have read a couple of reviews on this book and I must say, your review is super nice. I love the idea of everyday people being gurus and I really enjoyed your review!.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

This book seems like it has some wonderful tips for living a better life. I like that the author is introspective and humble and that he writes also with honesty and humor. I usually don't like self help books unless they relate the stories of how others found success. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
crediblereading2

JR Mercier wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 02:03 I have read a couple of reviews on this book and I must say, your review is super nice. I love the idea of everyday people being gurus and I really enjoyed your review!.
Thank you for your kind comments. We are all gurus in our own ways and we all benefit from each other in different ways.
crediblereading2

JuliaKay wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 02:19 This book seems like it has some wonderful tips for living a better life. I like that the author is introspective and humble and that he writes also with honesty and humor. I usually don't like self help books unless they relate the stories of how others found success. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
Yes, it certainly has some wonderful tips on how to live a meaningful life. Thank you for commenting.
crediblereading2

onixpam wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 21:28 Great review! I already read this book. As you wrote, this book is very engaging and give us really good advice. I read a lot of reviews, and not everyone thinks the same.
This book has some wonderful tips on how to live a meaningful life. Thank you for commenting.
crediblereading2

nikkyteewhy wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 18:05 I read and reviewed this book too and I agree with your ratings. Good observation about the Maasai's mother I just assumed there was no hospitals or something and he clearly was not a medical practitioner but I could be wrong.
This book has some wonderful tips on how to live a meaningful life. Thank you for commenting.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I'm not really a fan of self-help or inspirational type books, so I don't think this one is for me. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”