Review by Rae_taylor13 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rae_taylor13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rae-taylor13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by Rae_taylor13 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Rae_taylor13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit is a book about the rites of passage. A naïve and innocent boy is thrown into a dangerous world with an on edge lunatic: with deceit, money fame, and the troubles they bring.

Darwin Hastings is a bright teenager with an uncertain future. He is certain he wants to go to a great school to improve his chances of getting into medical school. He wants to become a doctor. But when his aunt’s health starts to decline, he has no choice but to move in with a cousin he barely knows: a cousin the world thinks it knows. Shady business follows, and it is enough that it could possibly destroy Darwin’s dreams, future, and possibly his life.

Enter the women in his life - from a loss of innocence, tough love, and the craving of unconditionally love – there is no stone left in the shadows. Scorn and a quest for an escape, even the pursuit, of the picture perfect perception of life, fuel the desires of the females in Darwin’s wake, and the wake of his cousin as well. The need to fill a vacant hole leads one on a collision course with a near death experience.

Guardian of Deceit is a very real book. It took a little bit to get the story off the ground, but once in flight, this story soars. The author has this way of layering every facet of manipulation. The characters are well developed, dynamic. The character growth is exceptional, especially Darwin’s.

I found the book, though fictional, to be a thought provoking expose into the very real scenes that do happen in everyday life. Somewhere, someone just like Darwin is in a very similar situation that he finds himself within these pages. The story is engaging, and every page leaves you wanting to know even more. You feel for Darwin. You want him to win in what seems to be a no win situation.

I went out of my comfort zone when I decided to read this novel, and I am glad that I did. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I personally suggest to anyone to be on the lookout for more narratives written by William H. Coles. He genuinely know how to spin a yarn, create a web that ensnares you into the world he creates, makes you feel for the characters within those worlds, and breaks your heart into a million pieces with just a few words. It’s great.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Rae_taylor13's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”