What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Hey Alyssa
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 31

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by Hey Alyssa »

In my humble opinion, engaging yourself to something will help you experience appreciations towards yourself. Art is one thing to consider. But I dont think its enough to mend the psychological effects she had received from her father's abuses. The memory will always lingers in her mind. Unless the issue was resolve, and forgiveness has been made.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

No, the alcoholic father is not the only responsible person in this family equation. I find that all knowing parties are just as responsible, especially the mother. And, having dealt with abuse and other traumatic trials, I have found that fighting backing: speaking up and out, seeking help, prayer and my faith in God are a few the best means of responding to abuse and other traumatic experiences. If a writer, such as myself having experienced such tragedy, I think it is not as difficult to describe abusive situations.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Nizeyimana louis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nizeyimana louis »

I real accept that one of ways to overcome abuse and trauma is joining art. But I have additional helpful ways one can consider as he/she wants to totally overcome abuse and trauma. Just ,as you face a surprising situation or problem calm yourself ,introspect your life so that you can find more interesting days and events which have interested you once in life.digest them and taste their savour.Think about the future and try to fix your attention to the next moment which may be more interesting than the past if you choose positively to work on your intentional aspirations.This will help you not to be captured by pessimism but to hurry up coming back to the normal situation.Besides that you must not be taking drug- person so that you can think clearly and instantly.
Nataly Restokian

Post by Nataly Restokian »

it is hard to overcome any kind of abuse, I believe time will never heal if the victim is not surrounded by loved ones or lacks the willpower to transform that pain into aims in life to succeed. sometimes it might destroy her whole life, anger or fear might be haunting her forever.
in my opinion, it is very hard to write about abuse when the writer herself has gone through such a difficult experience because in order to visualize the details in the story each sentence would certainly remind her of that traumatizing period in her life.
it needs great courage and persistence.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

all ways are difficult i guess, it depends on the person or what happened to them. time heals all wounds i suppose.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Oh gosh, overcoming childhood trauma is so complicated. Nothing is cut-and-dry about it because the messages you've gathered from your abuse is interwoven into how you learn and perceive the world. Especially if it comes from a person that is supposed to protect you, childhood abuse can be devastating at most and confusing at least. It's interesting that you ask if the father is the only perpetrator. A person translates their abuse into something that makes sense. If someone verbally corrects a person suffering abuse, even if it's harmless, can be taken as abuse because that person has learned to categorize it all together. Trusting people is almost impossible. Of course professional help is necessary to move through trauma, but something a person can do is challenge the beliefs they have about themselves due to trauma. Going through such a thing can teach a person "I'm bad", "I'm unworthy", "I'm disgusting", etc. To overcome traumatic pain is to question those and move to self-love.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Something like abuse could be a potentially difficult topic for an author to write about. Personally, I think that if you're going to write about a sensitive subject like that you either need to have experienced it firsthand or do a great amount of research to understand what it is like. But if the author hasn't experienced it, I think they are at a disadvantage in their ability to accurately portray the trauma that an abuse victim feels.
aeiguerrero

Post by aeiguerrero »

A best way to overcome any of this is to set your kind free think of happy and positive thoughts
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Firstly, Get away from whoever is abusing you, it may be hard but it has to be done. Get a therapist, someone who can help you deal with it. You don't have to go through this alone. Fight for yourself because you deserve the best. If you have a loved one you can talk with, do that. But seek therapy to help you come to terms with it.
Sefiros2211
Favorite Book: Eye of the World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sefiros2211.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Sefiros2211 »

The worst thing about abuse is that it makes its victims think they are worthless. They believe this torture is simply the standard of living throughout the world. You have to believe in yourself. You have to fight that nagging sense of non-existence. Passions can be an escape, but you have to be careful that the imagination doesn't spill out in the rest of your life. Legend of Zelda is a particularly robust environment to play with, but not at the expense of school-work or other responsibilities. It's a balancing act. Just keep telling yourself you're worth it. Don't battle this alone. Rely on trustworthy people who can remind you that you do matter and this abuse won't be forever.
solanaphillip800
Favorite Book: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solanaphillip800.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by solanaphillip800 »

to be strong and have courage to face the problems
yonyan0314
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by yonyan0314 »

To overcome from abuse and traum sometimes your not going to an easy to overcome this two situation. But by the help of our own family they can reduce our fear, depress and negative ways of thinking, and through our true friends who our side in times of happiness nor sadness. Especially the best way to overcome this is to pray God because by praying we could also release the pain inside.
Just keep praying and always believe in God's grace.
GKerr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkerr.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by GKerr »

I think that the best way to overcome trauma and abuse is very personal and specific to each individual. Natalie's refuge in art is a positive way to distract from her trauma.
Art therapy is a common form of therapy now, just as to some people music is a healing agent.
book_worm 101
Currently Reading: See How Small
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by book_worm 101 »

I believe Natalie is doing what most people would when in this type of situation. Another form of overcoming would be to talk it out with someone. This would be something applicable to real life and not only to Natalie's case. Overcoming, however, is different for all and one must find his/her way around it.
mdamu reader
Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by mdamu reader »

the best way to get away from abuse and trauma is by sticking to your guards,what do i mean,for example you do not need someone to encourage you or to tell you how good you are,you should always believe in yourself and be your own boss.with that kind of attitude nothing that comes your way will find a way to lower your moral.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”