Book recipe or own recipe?whenever i use book recipes to prepare a dish it just doesnt come out as explained in the book

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
slysande17
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 4

Book recipe or own recipe?whenever i use book recipes to prepare a dish it just doesnt come out as explained in the book

Post by slysande17 »

give better preferences.
I even prefer doing my own recipe provided i got all the required ingredients ,and it comes out perfectly.
Share with me your view on this.
sthe01
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by sthe01 »

It depends on what I'm making if I'm cooking I don't really follow recipes but for baking I do.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

Most of the time i use book recipes because i am not really good at cooking.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

It depends on what am making.Most of the time i use my own recipe but also go for book recipes.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Seemamk 123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seemamk 123 »

I prefer trying those recipes uploaded on YouTube videos whichever I feel interesting and if necessary make small changes accordingly.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I use book recipes for baking, that's a science and unless you bake A LOT it needs to be exact. I've made cookies of so many types over the years that I can pretty much toss stuff in a bowl and come out with a good cookie, but the classic chewy chocolate chip still needs exact measuring. Some complicated main dishes like chicken marsala have exact cooking steps to come out right and book recipes are good for learning the method. But I've found most dishes follow the same formulas and once you've mastered the techniques the book recipes just become a list of flavoring suggestions.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

For me it’s a balance. Sometimes book recipes come out magically delicious whereas other times I have to change the name before I serve them.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I find it difficult to trust online recipes for the very reason that you have stated: It doesn't come out like it was mentioned.

When I am cooking/baking something for the very first time, I usually go with the flow and see how the food turns out. Afterwards, I make improvements of my own from there and create my own recipe.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I use book recipes! And when I get it right after so many tries, I adjust some of the ingredients to more of my taste.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”