What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Hey Alyssa
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 31

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by Hey Alyssa »

Knowing when you are going to die might actually make you appreciate the value of life even more. I believe this described by Paulo Coelho in his book Veronica Decides to Die. And I totally agreed. I mean, being aware of how limited your lifetime is will inevitably boost your appreciation towards it. You might even do things more rigorously since, admit it or not, we want to achive as many accomplishments as we can. So if future science will be able to do such thing, I will definitely vouch for that.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

he idea terrifies me - live life one day at a time
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I think if everyone began using this technology we would develop ways to cope with the idea over time. I think it would place a burden and sadness on the person and their family though that could spoil the time remaining. However I think many would make closure with loved one and hopefully have the courage to live the way they truly wanted to up until the end. I think a lot of people could use this for evil though with the attitude of "I'm going to die soon anyway" and won't have to face consequences for their actions.
Empress naria
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empress-naria.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Empress naria »

Knowing when you will be losing your life would prevent us from living in more ways than one. I believe I might be spending time on things I think would make my life complete rather than just living which would bring me more joy and joy to others around me!
Empress naria
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empress-naria.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Empress naria »

I might want to live carefree if I were to die young and knew I was going to die. Not knowing when I am going to die give me a force to know that I have to prepare for a life, whether or not I die.
BoundlessLaughter
Currently Reading: Xenocide
Bookshelf Size: 324

Post by BoundlessLaughter »

That is just scary but at the same time it's a relief. Mortality os perhaps one of the greatest if not the greatest unknown that humanity has. And knowing at a part of it, the when, is a relief. No guessing. You can plan at least and not be taken by surprise. A small consolation really but a consolation nonetheless.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Knowing the date of your death seems terrible. If everyone knew when they'd die, I think there would be one of two societal responses: everyone would either be reckless because they know risky behavior won't kill them, or they would be so pre-occupied on death that they would forget to live and be present in the moment. Some characters reflect this.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Personally, I would not like to know when I'm going to die, nor do I think it is a good idea to know something like that. I think that gives a person too much power to have that kind of knowledge. To me, part of the beauty in life is not knowing certain things such as that. I would never want science to be able to predict something like that. It would take away from the journey of life, which is always filled with uncertainties.
Rebecca AR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154

Post by Rebecca AR »

I feel like it's the kind of thing that if given the opportunity, I'd be desperate to know, and beg to find out... and then regret. It's a scary idea. And then it also raises questions about fate and choice - surely that death is not set in stone, and could change at any time - in which case, knowing has little relevance.
tiffhau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tiffhau »

I feel like knowing when you die is a very confronting thing
hgatundu
Currently Reading: “The Dogs of Brownsville”
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by hgatundu »

I am happy not knowing when I will die. I love enjoying life to the fullest, I feel the knowledge could easily change that. Let me just find myself in the next life or in my soul. Being a believer of heaven and hell, I'd end up living a life trying to please everyone so that I don't end up in hell but in heaven, you can't please everyone and life is full of trails and errors.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The idea sounds appealing because then you don't have to live everyday like it's your last. However, when it gets closer to your time of death, it could feel like a burden.
Ghada TG
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghada-tg.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Ghada TG »

I think it's very reassuring to know the time span you have to do the thing you're set to achieve. Knowing has always been a great advantage. although it could be counterproductive , for some people like those who always wait tp the last minute for a deadline , and those who procrastinate in their task completion, same in life they would always think they have time till it's almost too late, they'd only begin to enjoy life before it ends, and that would be unfortunate, but if one know how to map up his time on earth and use it to enjoy every last minute of it, one would go in peace, with no regrets or worries.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kmkline120
Currently Reading: Tiny Beautiful Things
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmkline120.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by kmkline120 »

I cannot be 100% sure, but I do not think I would want to know when I will die. I think it would be very hard to live responsibly and make the most of my life with that knowledge. Whether it be tomorrow or 50 years from now, having that knowledge would change everything about the way I live and the things I care about. Would I live recklessly and abandon all responsibilities if I knew I was going to die next week? Would I feel a need to rush things and not actually enjoy my day-to-day life if I knew I only had 5 years? Would I become depressed if I knew that I had 50 years left but everyone else that I love will die before me? There are so many questions... overall, I think it would cause way too much anxiety!
freepatti+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by freepatti+ »

A device that accurately predicts my demise from a disease? Yep, tell me early so I may intervene with a diet change or other revision of my health routines or add a routine.
The DNA Company with the numbers offers to supply clients with genetic markers. Same thing.
Fate is not in our stars...we control so much of our lives.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”