Review by CinWin -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by CinWin -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by CinWin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret; Stories of Ordinary Gurus I've Met is a non-fiction autobiography written by Rob White. It is a collection of short didactic stories based on the transformations he undergoes along his life path.

Rob was born and raised in a small mill town with the thought that, like his father, he would live his entire life there and then die in that same town. But there were other things on the agenda for Mr. Rob White. While in high school, he decided that he would reach "escape velocity" by leaving his limited town and go to college in the big city. Instead of going to work for one of the factories, he went to the University of Massachusetts. But Rob didn't stop there. He became a teacher, a successful real estate entrepreneur, a restauranteur and a highly paid motivational speaker. His hobbies included such things as race car driving, running with the bulls, skydiving, learning from the top name "Gurus" and much more. Everywhere he went and in everything he did, Rob always looked for a "Life Lesson" in the experience. His book is a compilation of those transformational opportunities.

And Then I Met Margaret is comprised of 21 stories told throughout small-town America. The author begins each chapter with a myth that most people believe. He then tells a story that explains the true reality and ends with a saying disproving that myth. In each chapter Rob introduces a specific "guru" who helped him understand the real meanings of life. It is written in chronological order - beginning in childhood and continuing until late in his life. Each story is a pearl of wisdom and I laughed and cried throughout all of his adventures.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it truly inspired me. My favorite chapter is #12. It is about his meeting with Margaret, a little girl who taught him that the world does not revolve around him. He states, "Those who feel grateful and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest." His writing style is very conversational and easy to read. The author literally "pulls" the reader into his story.

What I enjoyed most about the book was the fact that Rob White is a very self-aware man. He sees learning experiences in all of life's ups and downs and shares what he has learned with other people, so they can receive the same self-awareness that he experienced. Mr. White remembers the kindness done to him, empathizes with others and then gives the same kindness back. There was nothing that I disliked about this wonderful book.

I believe the audiences for And Then I Met Margaret would include people that are interested in expanding their horizons, getting motivated and those who just like a good, old-fashioned, "down-home" story. Rob White's autobiography is a true gem. For those who want more, he has a web site link at the back of the book where you can read his blog and 100 best tweets. Thank you, Rob!

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CinWin's review? Post a comment saying so!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”