Review by Dragonfly6 -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Review by Dragonfly6 -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Dragonfly6 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Ironbark Hill is a first person narrative of a woman’s reflection (Natalie) back on a particular year of her life living in Ironbark Hill, Australia. It describes, in detail, not only the events that occurred, but her feelings and thoughts about them.

This is an outstanding tale of the many changes that can occur to an adolescent young woman. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is just a fantastic, interesting read! I think this is a story that would be enjoyed by men and women alike, from teenagers through adults. I have rated it so highly because the characters are interesting and the story is well structured.

The author wisely establishes the story in chronological order, but even more than that, she gives each person, place or event that is significant to her story in this year its own chapter. I felt this kept the pace of the book moving smoothly. It also helped to give each character or benchmark its own recognition as to how it affected Natalie.

As the reader embarks on this young woman’s journey through this eventful and significant year in her life, one is not only introduced to her family and friends, but the author creates a very intricate quilt of detail to illustrate her surroundings. Not only are the basic details of a particular scene surrounding an event or memory described, but the author provides enough information throughout the book for a sense of having visited Ironbark Hill, Australia, even if the reader has never been.

The compelling main character of Natalie, or “Natty” as she is often called by family and dear friends, faces some challenges during her sixteenth year, not the least of which begin at home. She reveals that she is of part aboriginal heritage on her father’s side, and her father is dead. She faces difficulties with her stepfather and at times her half-sister, as her entire, rather large, extended family lives in poverty. Natalie is a strong spirit and she learns to navigate the many challenges that arise, all the while remaining loyal to her loved ones and doing all she can to help support and protect them. In finding her strengths, she also discovers she has a knack and a passion for painting landscapes. She begins her apprenticeship of painting with her friend and employer.

Ironbark Hill is professionally published. It has no discernible errors, and it is well-written. This is a story you will want to finish once you start, just to see what happens to Natalie next!

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dragonfly6's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Wow, you seemed to really love this book! I'm glad the plot was good and the characters were interesting, that is so awesome to have in a story! Thanks for the review :)
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thank you for the review. I enjoyed it. I also like your phrase ‘intricate quilt of detail‘.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonfly6 »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 14 May 2018, 13:38 Wow, you seemed to really love this book! I'm glad the plot was good and the characters were interesting, that is so awesome to have in a story! Thanks for the review :)
Thanks for taking the time to read it! I did enjoy it.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonfly6 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 16 May 2018, 11:12 Thank you for the review. I enjoyed it. I also like your phrase ‘intricate quilt of detail‘.
Thank you for reading my review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

Thanks for your review. This book sounds great with well developed characters and struggles I'm sure everyone can relate to on some level.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”