Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Her feelings for Mr. Daggers were confusing. First of all, he was married. Still, Penelope could not deny that he made her swoon. These were the main reasons that she could not stay with them. She and her good friend Lucinda had worked out the perfect plan to keep Penelope from Mr. Daggers. Author Diana Forbes tells the story of a young girl learning to care for herself in late nineteenth-century America in Mistress Suffragette.

Penelope’s father was feeling desperate. His business was failing due to the financial Panic of 1893. The Stanton family was slowly losing their beautiful Newport, Rhode Island estate. Penelope’s parents insisted that she move to New York to live with Mr. and Mrs. Daggers. They promised to introduce her to prospective employers. The entire situation upset Penelope. She would not go. Penelope and her good friend, Lucinda planned to run away to Boston together. Lucinda had serious interest in the Women’s Suffrage Movement in Boston. To her surprise, Penelope’s life changed forever in Boston. She accidentally became a suffragist, and her love life became an unexpected journey.

This is historical fiction at its finest. Historical fiction is always my first choice, and this book did not disappoint. There is a perfect balance of dramatic storytelling and conveyance of historical facts. I really enjoyed learning about the foundation of many of the aspects of the Women’s Suffrage Movement. Readers of romance and historical fiction will enjoy this book.

The variety of characters in this book made it easy to relate to many of the personalities in the story. Each character is beautifully developed with their own unique flaws and personality. I was emotionally invested in all of their stories. These well-developed characters experience refreshing growth in a progressive time in American history.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. Furthermore, the author’s expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience. There is one missing word in the book, but it caused no distraction and did not disrupt the flow of the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story is written with understandable language, and this makes it very easy to follow from each moment to the next. I highly recommend this novel to all fiction readers. This expertly written page-turner kept me entertained from start to finish. Aside from the entertainment, this story provides a true understanding that social justice and societal change starts with regular, passionate people.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I found your review captivate me from the start till the very end. It painted a very descriptive picture about the book. I haven't read historical fiction before. I will make this my first book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! I love characters which are well-rounded, and this book seems to have an interesting premise. I am putting this on my to-read list. :D
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

What a beautiful sounding book. I’ll have to add that to my list. Women's roles at that time are often left unexplored.
Aliyuoniye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aliyuoniye »

This book is not not my type of books. But I found something interesting about the the book. So I recommend this book to any reader just take some time and read the book
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is the second review I've seen for this book and both are very positive. I do enjoy some historical fiction, especially with a female as the protagonist. This seems like something I would enjoy, and I'm going to have to pick it up. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love this turn of events: "She accidentally became a suffragist, and her love life became an unexpected journey." I am a fan of historical fiction, and I would definitely be interested in reading this one. Thanks for a well-done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

I love the idea of experiencing personal growth by being involved in none of the biggest political movements in recent history. I love that there's an element of romance, but it doesn't overshadow the protagonist's personal growth. Thanks for sharing your review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Historical fiction is not my go-to genre, but this sounds interesting with the Suffrage movement. I might expand my horizons.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I can honestly say I've never read a book surrounding the suffragist movement. I think this is a pertinent and entertaining background for a story.

Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I love the way your review seems to convey the tone and style of the book. It is an fascinating subject, but I'm not sure this one's for me, though I really appreciate the recommendation and may reconsider when I'm less busy.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I do love a well written historical fiction, and this seems like one. Your review captured my attention from the beginning. I feel like I know Penelope already. I'll definitely keep this book in mind.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I have read a historical fiction novel before and I liked it. It was a little on the romance side, which is what I like the most, but this review makes this book sound very interesting. Can't wait to read it.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your review. Historical fiction is also one of my favorites and this one sounds very interesting. I especially enjoyed your comment about ordinary people being the impulse for great movements. Great job!
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ktwills79 »

I love historical fiction, though I tend to shy away from romances--this book sounds like a great blend of both though, and if I'm reading the tone of your review right, it sounds like the MC ends up feeling more empowered than anything else (probably one of the reasons I dislike romance stories is because the female protagonist often ends up seeming helpless or 'overcome by love'). Thanks for a nice review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”