Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Turi nacho
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Post by Turi nacho »

I believe that it's an art of deception where the doer of the deed deceives the audience in making them see what they want to see rather than what really is happening thus making it an art of deception where they believe that nothing is impossible
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Sword swallowing is an old art, there are some people who have converted it into some kind of trick, but after all, it is possible.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

Sword swallowing is definitely an art to me. It's something that a lot of people can't do, and you have to have a big throat to really do it. I'm sure some people do it as a trick, but I believe there are professionals out there!
OneHippieChick
Currently Reading: Melanie's Evanscent Journey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by OneHippieChick »

I'm new here and haven't read the book yet, but I've seen sword swallowing at events before and, as an RN, feel it must be a trick. I just don't know how anyone would be able to safely do it. If it's not a trick, more power to them! lol! Just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

OneHippieChick wrote: 23 May 2018, 12:47 I'm new here and haven't read the book yet, but I've seen sword swallowing at events before and, as an RN, feel it must be a trick. I just don't know how anyone would be able to safely do it. If it's not a trick, more power to them! lol! Just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies.
I’m with you on the heebie jeebies. The descriptions in the book of how he learned how to swallow the swords made it seem much more possible to me. Still, that part in the book where he is injured clearly shows me that this is a deadly trick. No, I’m not interested in doing it for any reason. I’m not really even sure I’d like to watch someone try.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I happen to have a cousin who can do sword swallowing and I can say that when practiced it can develop. So it is certainly not a scam or something misleading. It is a physically demanding skill that can be developed.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
MidnightBasm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightbasm.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by MidnightBasm »

I think that art should be enjoyable and unique. Therefore I think sword swallowing is indeed an art because it manages to capture the audiences attention and to make an impression on them. Duke certainly does that.
I don't believe in magic, but that doesn't stop me to enjoy such performances. They take a lot of hard work and you can't help but appreciate the magician. The artist. I feel the same way about sword swallowing.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

i think that it's a mixture of both.
one has to put the time and effort in to learning the skill, yes, but at the same time, different peoples bodies would adapt more easily.
as in, during 'training' some would find it less challenging than others just simply due to genetics.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

I wouldn't say either an art or a trick since I have never seen one sword swallower. Had I seen one, I would be able to judge. But, according to this book, the sword swallower tells us how he learned the art from another person in the circus. This indicates that it is an art one can learn. I can't imagine someone swallowing a sword, leave alone swords. Quite ridiculous to me.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Gurkirat

Post by Gurkirat »

Ater readinga a book I am torn between the two, i don't really know if swallowing a sword is an art or a trick,yet Duke was able to swallow five swords at once. Well one thing I am sure of is that whichever category it falls under, i would not contemplate swallowing a pocket knife. A sword! That is definitely beyond limits it was very nice story
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Good question! Upon reading the book, I'm convinced that Duke Reynolds, is not a fraud. I believe and learned through him and as the author that sword swallowing is a dangerous practice that can actually be taught and learned.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Malodith37

Post by Malodith37 »

Duke did it But we must not be convince that it is not a trick because it goes beyond human reasoning
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It is an art, a somewhat risky one, but an art nevertheless. Like so many other things in life, there are people who are capable of doing it and there are people who simply can't do it (most of us). I imagine that at the time of learning, several practitioners must have had a sore throat during their first steps.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am sure it must be an art because what I understood was that Duke learned it from another performer when he joined the circus. He started by practicing putting his fingers down his throat until he could control the gag reflex.

And also, he had to retire from sword swallowing because he had the accident that cut his esophagus. He also mentioned several times that many of his fellow sword swallowers died performing.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Caden Perry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caden-perry.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Caden Perry »

I feel as though sword swallowing is an art and a trick. I feel as though a trick is an art as long as it can be practiced and improved upon. Whilst still allowing different methods to be used to succeed at it. Sword swallowing can also be a trick in my opinion because it is something that others aren't sure how it can be done. I categorize sword swallowing up to magic tricks. So, I guess that I am convinced that it is an art and a trick at the same time.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”