Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Did your views on guns change?

Post by Richard Whitehead »

Yes, I felt that gun-ownership should be reviewed to prevent guns from getting onto the wrong hands.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

My views also remained the same. But it is a topic that needs to be discussed as much as possible because I do agree that changes are necessary.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

My views have not changed. Honestly, I thought the book was so overdone that it was too comical to take seriously and, after all, it's only fiction. When it comes to politics and reality, my mind needs facts and truth. That's not something that can be learned from this type of writing.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

My views did not particularly change. I have always been anti-gun and this wouldn't be changed significantly by the story which corroborates the same stance though my views on guns were reinforced.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

My views on guns haven't changed much at all after reading. I still think that guns are unnecessary in many instances and are too relied upon.

In the book, the IRS's slogan was something similar to, "It's better not to fight, but if you have to, then win." "Winning" doesn't have to lead to another person's death in every situation. Shoot someone because you've been pushed to the ground? Shoot because you can? It's really a shame seeing how the idea of guns and power have controlled the thinking of so many.

I can say that my views on guns have perhaps become a little more negative. I did not know with what ease a person could obtain a gun. Take a super easy test, get a certificate for it with no background check, and collect a gun within ten days! That was truly absurd to me. They even gave a gun to a legally blind elderly woman (mentioned towards the end of the novel). How irresponsible. And kids being in the presence of so many guns with teachers who aren't completely trained to use them is dangerous for both the kids and the teachers themselves!

I could probably go on all day :lol2:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

My views on guns and gun control hasn't change and I don't see the change happening even after I'm done this book.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

My opinion did not change,i just got to see other peoples view on guns
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Felice01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Felice01 »

No it did not change how many people have to die? Why can't they see this that stiffer laws are needed. They will still make money people will still buy but why not protect the innocent.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

My view was not changed. I believe that not everyone should own a gun. However, guns should not be taken from law-abiding citizens with a healthy mind. They should be able to protect themselves from danger. Strict policies should be in place to buy a gun.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I agree, the laws have to adapt to the rapid changes we are facing today. My children and I took the gun safety course and we each hold a permit for acquiring and possessing firearms. If there are guns in the household we have to be responsible adults.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not an american and does not live in America. And where I live, guns are not available for legal use instead you are in army or police. So I do nothave first hand experience about this issue. But by looking from outside, I have been thinking that the policy regarding guns in states is not a very good thing, and this author's thinking keeps up with mine. So I still think, guns should not be freely available in any circumstance
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Izesicle wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:25 My views are likely not to change. I believe that gun ownership should be carefully vetted and laws should be implemented consistently.
I agree that with all innovation and technology progress, the impacts should be monitored.
Agreed. People have the right to protect themselves and at the same time be aware of other's safety as well by being responsible carriers of such deadly weapon.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

my views on gun control will never change, it’s so silly that literally anyone in america can just walk in any buy a deadly weapon.

this idea will never not be stupid.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I was against guns before reading this book and my position only got reinforced.
Berry :wine:
Chanti Stargirl
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Chanti Stargirl »

Views on guns and gun laws are very personal and subjective. Often a person's opinion on these weapons were shaped by their experiences with guns. I think it would be very difficult for a work of fiction to change someone's mind in this instance. As it stands, my views remain unchanged.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”