Official Review: Desert Jade by C.J. Shane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: Desert Jade by C.J. Shane

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Desert Jade" by C.J. Shane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Desert Jade is a mystery suspense novel that takes place in Arizona, near the Mexico border. The story begins by following an intense situation of a coyote smuggler leading a group of people across the Mexico border, with hope for a better life in Tucson, only to be abandoned in a vast desert without food or water. The author, C.J. Shane, shares the different points of view from the migrants, the coyotes who take advantage of them, and the humanitarians who want to help them.

The story transitions back and forth from the reservation into Tucson where Private Investigator, Letty Valdez, has been trying to solve what happened to Jade’s husband, Carlos. He went missing soon after he obtained a $100,00 grant. There were no signs of what happened to Carlos or the money. She tries to find connections with the activities on the reservation and what is happening in Tucson. Valdez keeps reaching dead ends to this case until she runs into a detective from China, Zhou Ling Wei. Zhou is sent to Arizona to search for a Hong Kong official’s missing teenage daughter. As he begins his search, other women get abducted and he is determined to find them all before it is too late.

Zhou & Valdez work together to figure out what is happening in Tucson and the reservation. Is Carlos part of these crimes, was he also abducted, or did he just leave Jade once he obtained the cash? Will Jade ever move on with her new love interest or does she still hold on to the feeling that her husband is alive and in danger somewhere?

C.J. Shane does a great job of introducing characters and later connecting them all to each other. I was invested in every chapter to find out how everyone’s lives intersected. I was immediately engaged with this story and had trouble putting this book down. It is a seamlessly written fast read, full of twists to the mystery. The romance between the different characters is a nice break in between the intense parts where CJ Shane writes about the criminal world of a Mexican cartel and a Taiwanese triad gangs. I was not expecting the ending at all and was very entertained with how unpredictable this story is. You will be surprised even up until the last chapter.

Along with being an entertaining mystery suspense, this novel is very informative about different cultures and social groups. C.J. Shane’s knowledge of undocumented immigrants, the Chinese triad gangs, the cartels, the people who live on the reservations, human traffickers, drug dealers, and gun smugglers all made this a very unique mystery novel. She also cleverly writes dialogue in Chinese and Spanish that add to the tone of the predicaments that the characters were in. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend this book to those who are uncomfortable reading about sexual violence against women, post-traumatic stress disorder of war veterans, and murders. The book is very well written with no editing errors. I became a fan of C.J. Shane’s engaging writing style and would like to read her other novels.

Desert Jade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! This seems like a great book, and I would love to check it out soon. It is always great to hear that the story is well-paced, well-formatted and has no grammatical errors.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Not being able to put a book down is a lovely problem to have. I wish we all had that problem. This book is full of twists and interesting characters. Thank you for the review!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I'm a big fan of mystery/thriller novels like this one, and this looks like something I'm going to have to add to my to-read list! I'm especially curious to see how the author pulls both Mexican cartels and Taiwanese triad gangs into the plot, since it's always interesting to see how different cultures are presented :) Thank you for your review, you've really intrigued me!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really great book. After reading your great review, I checked out the author online, and she sounds like a fascinating person - a bit of a polymath. I appreciate the warning about sexual violence, as the level of violence against women in books that are primarily entertainment bothers me. However, we know that people trafficking does often involve sexual violence and exploitation, so to me it seems appropriate not to ignore that dimension in a novel on that subject. I'm putting this on the 'Want to Read' list. Thanks.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review! While this book is not my kind of read, I appreciate the author's thoroughness. Some dialogue in characters' native languages and apparently detailed knowledge of the cultures and criminal activity give me the impression that Shane doesn't cut corners, and I appreciate that kind of dedication whether or not the work is one I would personally read.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Reading the review i got intrigued by suspense plot described and decided to completely read this book. Such books are usually captivating
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a compelling mystery. I think the whole trafficking issue would be interesting to explore.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love it when I am so engrossed I cannot put the book down! This sounds like a great summer read. Thanks for the review.
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan »

Sounds interesting! I'm a bit on the fence about this one. How detailed is the sexual violence? Is it just mentioned, or are there colorful descriptions?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”