Official Review: Creole Moon: Book of Roots by S T Holmes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: Creole Moon: Book of Roots by S T Holmes

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Creole Moon: Book of Roots" by S T Holmes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creole Moon: Book of Roots by S.T. Holmes is the second book in the series. It is a science fiction/ fantasy novel that focuses on goddess turned witch, Sephora, and her quest to right several wrongs done to her. In her quest, she makes several unlikely allies who all joined forces for their own individual benefits.

When I first started reading this book, I was a bit worried I would be lost since I had not yet read the first book. I was a little right because it took a while to start following the story properly. I was very confused in the beginning as I was trying to properly figure out the different characters that were thrust at me. However, I was greatly helped by the backstories the author provided that allowed new readers to fully understand and enjoy the book. Although I was at first confused, it did not take away from the story that followed.

I loved how descriptive the author was and I was often transported into this fantasy world. The major themes in this book are sibling rivalry, resentment, magic and betrayal from many different ends. I found myself with shifting loyalties, and I was quite surprised with the various angles the writer took when penning this book.

What I did not like was how the book ended. It left me with some questions regarding a a few main and supporting characters. I do hope however that there is already a third book being written because I would like to see what happens to a few of the characters. Especially since it seemed to have ended on a bit of a cliff hanger.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I was a bit confused in the beginning, even though the author made up for it by providing the much-needed information. I also appreciated that even though one of the main characters did not entirely get what he wanted, he was able to get some victory. I just wished I could have gotten a bit more closure with a few of the characters.

This book was a very good read and I enjoyed the way the story developed. There weren't many visible plotholes, and any questions I have would have already been answered in the first novel and hopefully a third book. There were a few slight spelling errors, however they were so minor I almost missed them.

I would recommend this book to readers of sci-fi and fantasy novels. This would make a great travel book, it is good for a weekend read.

Creole Moon: Book of Roots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

It's tricky with a second book - I don't appreciate a lot of backstory, but there has to be some way of catching up with what's going on. I don't like to be left hanging at the end, either, so I think this one's not for me, but I'm glad you got something out of it.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review. I haven't come across the first book, but the premise does seem interesting!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

The premise of this book looks interesting--although it's not exactly what I expected after reading the title XD the fact that you were confused by the second book does put me off, though, since I fully believe that every book should be able to draw the reader in on its own!

Thank you for your thorough review :)
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Libs_Books wrote: 19 May 2018, 13:14 It's tricky with a second book - I don't appreciate a lot of backstory, but there has to be some way of catching up with what's going on. I don't like to be left hanging at the end, either, so I think this one's not for me, but I'm glad you got something out of it.
It wasn't an overbearing amount of backstory, so you can give it a try.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 20 May 2018, 05:29 The premise of this book looks interesting--although it's not exactly what I expected after reading the title XD the fact that you were confused by the second book does put me off, though, since I fully believe that every book should be able to draw the reader in on its own!

Thank you for your thorough review :)
That's how I feel about series, and that's why I chose this book. The story line is nice though, so you can still give it a try.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 00:31 Thank you for the comprehensive review. I haven't come across the first book, but the premise does seem interesting!
Based on the second book, I would want to read the first.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I almost picked this one up to review. I'm glad you liked it. :) I didn't choose it because the blurb and the title didn't quite seem to match, and so now I am curious where the Creole Moon comes into the story. Thanks for the review.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Kat Berg wrote: 20 May 2018, 20:04 I almost picked this one up to review. I'm glad you liked it. :) I didn't choose it because the blurb and the title didn't quite seem to match, and so now I am curious where the Creole Moon comes into the story. Thanks for the review.
Haha, you should try it. It's not a bad read, and maybe then some things will make sense to you.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I understand that there are some books that start out a bit confusing which can be a bit irritating but read with patience and the puzzle will all come together. Great review.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

It seems that I have another book to read. I understand about not quite knowing what is going on when you pick up a second book of a series but since you stated that the author provided enough of a back story for you to enjoy this book makes me want to read it. I enjoy magic, witches, etc. Since there is a Creole moon, I am wondering if this is set in Louisiana. Voodoo magic is quite notorious in this area. You also said their was a cliffhanger. I am okay with them as it makes me quite impatient for the next book. Thank you very much for your well written review.
Queenofdbooks4ever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by Queenofdbooks4ever »

Based on your review and the publisher review for the first book in the series The Betrayal, this doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Thanks for your review.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

arcie72 wrote: 26 May 2018, 01:53 It seems that I have another book to read. I understand about not quite knowing what is going on when you pick up a second book of a series but since you stated that the author provided enough of a back story for you to enjoy this book makes me want to read it. I enjoy magic, witches, etc. Since there is a Creole moon, I am wondering if this is set in Louisiana. Voodoo magic is quite notorious in this area. You also said their was a cliffhanger. I am okay with them as it makes me quite impatient for the next book. Thank you very much for your well written review.
I hope you will like it and won`t get too lost. It was a pretty decent read.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Queenofdbooks4ever wrote: 26 May 2018, 19:51 Based on your review and the publisher review for the first book in the series The Betrayal, this doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review :)
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

The story sounds so interesting, this is the second book I've come across that mentions a character with the same name. I may just have to give it a go and see what I think. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”