Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The book is a really good insightful read. We often feel sorry and pity over people with disabilities, but the author has proved that this need not be the case, because disabled people are capable of achieving even more than what a mere human being with no inherent challenges can attain. Thanks for the review, it was straight-forward.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

Just downloaded the book and after reading the blurb and your review, I already know I'm going to enjoy it!
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

Wow it really sounds like the author has several challenges to overcome in life. Nice to see that no matter what the obstacles are in life, people can overcome and succeed. Based on the review, it sounds like a great and moving book that everyone should read. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Sometimes you can just be instantly drawn to a particular book. It could be the title, the cover page, or even the summary on the back of the book. For this book, it was the title that piqued my interest, the book cover added a nudge to read the summary on Amazon, but just reading the Introduction in the book, had me so excited about learning about this woman's journey in life, which has inspired to read the entire book. I couldn't wait to get to the sample pages but wanted to scream when there was only about two pages there. Frustrated because after reading your review along with the other things I mentioned, I wanted to read, read, and read some more. From the Introduction, I didn't think that there was anything extra that could have been added to the synopsis of this book, but I stand corrected. Your review was able to bring a deeper understanding to the message the author narrated in telling her story and also a better connection to the author emotions through the events in her life.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

A very inspiring book. If I may say. It is one thing to be diagnosed with cerebral palsy and another to turn into an author while living with the same condition. Despite the many who were ready to confine her destiny, there are still many who believed in her.

Quite bad for the grammatical errors. I think if a second edition was to be released, such errors would be taken care of.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I enjoyed your review of "It's Easier to Dance". I think it's hard to overcome these kinds of difficulties and the author was very brave to tell her story. This is an excellent review and tells what I can expect from it. Thank you.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

mtsnel006 wrote: 20 May 2018, 16:53 The book is a really good insightful read. We often feel sorry and pity over people with disabilities, but the author has proved that this need not be the case, because disabled people are capable of achieving even more than what a mere human being with no inherent challenges can attain. Thanks for the review, it was straight-forward.
I am inspired by the author's mom, who would not listen to what others would consider "reason" in dealing with her daughter's disability. Her faith in God and His plans for her daughter enabled her to believe that everything would be ok. She didn't treat her daughter's disability as a hinderance to her not being able to do things but simply an obstacle to overcome. Although her daughter was born with a disability, she was treated the same as the other children. I give kudos to the author for not focusing on what she could not do but on the things that she could. The bottom line, God has the final say.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I feel really touched by the story of Anne, she is truly a courage soul that presents a good example to the rest of us who are struggling to discover their value and purpose in life - even with our physical attributes intact.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This sounds like a story of a woman and her journey through the decades, as she also lives with a unique physical challenge. I enjoy stories of peoples lives so I'm looking forward to this one.
Kaduffy215
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Kaduffy215 »

:D Wonderful review! In this time period, when all was against her and her disabilities she was able to dance. In the sense that her mother and she did not let disabilities hold her back! I cannot wait to read. Thank you... :D :lol:
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Paul78 wrote: 20 May 2018, 17:05 A very inspiring book. If I may say. It is one thing to be diagnosed with cerebral palsy and another to turn into an author while living with the same condition. Despite the many who were ready to confine her destiny, there are still many who believed in her.

Quite bad for the grammatical errors. I think if a second edition was to be released, such errors would be taken care of.
Some people are destined to do great things, regardless of their disability. The author's mother taught her how to be independent but it is her inner strenght that allowed her to overcome the struggles and hardships she endured in spite of the limited abilities in doing certain things. I love a book that features a strong woman, a strong black woman, and to have one with a strong black woman with a disability inspires me. This is a great motivational book not only for people with disabilities but for anyone who may think that a disability keeps a person from succeeding in life.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

The author's positivity in the face of her disability sounds like a lesson to us all. Her success in life is deeply inspirational. Great review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

It's always inspiring to read stories of survival and determination despite unpredictable circumstances. Kudos to the author for pushing through, converting her limitations to soaring heights.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
murphkri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by murphkri »

This sounds like a very interesting subject! I love reading the inspirational stories of people who have forged their own path against all odds, and it certainly sounds as though the author had many hurtles to jump through to make hers.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

azerikaj wrote: 20 May 2018, 14:53 As a disabled person who just got this book, (and therefore hasn't read it yet) I nevertheless need readers here to be aware that "never let it hold you back" is fiction. It always does, both for physical reasons and barriers in society.Society is just barely catching up to the needs of disabled people, and I don't expect the struggle for equality to be resolved in my lifetime. I still always appreciate hearing from other people about their lives and struggles, though.
CP is not a deficiency...it's a brain injury sustained usually at birth, to the brain's motor center, the cerebrum.
Although I do respect your opinion on this topic, and can't personally relate to the issues of having a disability, I agree on some points you made and disagree on others. I understand that depending on the type of disability a person may have, there are physical barriers that keeps a person from doing things, however this depends on the activity. For Shaquem Griffin, the linebacker without a hand who was drafted this year by the Seattle Seahawks, he never let it held him back, Arunima Sinha, from India, became the first ever amputee to climb Mount Everest, didn't let it hold her back, and for so many others.

The struggle for equality not only affects the disability but has and still continues for minority, women and people of color. It is true that there is a lot more that can be done in achieving quality of living for the disable. It is also true that there is a stigma against people with disabilities, however, people with disabilities are no longer accepting the limitations that society has put on them.

These things in no way take away from your feelings regarding this situation. Changes must be made because there is so much that a person with a disability can offer to this world.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”