Review by ADE_96 -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by ADE_96 -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by TashaCrispin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you like to know the day you'll die? Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a work of science fiction that highlights the author's major concerns about gun possession. He brings his ideas to life by creating a plot revolving around a technology revelation and the mindset of a senior citizen, Vince Fuller.

Vijay Patel invents this smartwatch, VT2 which can predict one's death from natural causes 30 days before it happens. Vijay thought it would be best to give most senior citizens access to this technology so they could sort out their personal issues ( financial issues, saying goodbye to loved ones...). On the other end, NRA (National Rifle Association) was motivating purchase of guns by senior citizens by giving out discounts. They felt like senior citizens should protect themselves from anyone who wanted to take advantage of them. Unfortunately, the outcome of this technology coupled with the NRA discounting proved to do more harm than good. What do they have to do to stop gun violence?
What would you do if you knew - for certain - that you had one week to live?
Well, this is what came to my mind instantly. ''I would say my goodbyes to everyone I love and write something...just anything that would have come up in my mind. My final thoughts''. After I answered the author's question, I was immediately more interested in reading the book. Moments later I came across this interesting Vince character. His thoughts were so engaging and relatable to many of us who have little knowledge about guns.

Vince's experience shows us how alienation of senior citizens due to age can trigger some negativity in the society. When senior citizens are treated poorly, some may forget but others may seek revenge. The author tried to make people (especially the young generation) understand that it is important to treat people fairly like they matter regardless of age.

Though normally I wouldn't enjoy a ''gun topic'', the author had a way of making me feel at home. I think every reader will get the same feeling. The reality of the gun violence fatalities just made me so sad. The author awakened empathy in me on a topic I knew nothing about.

I loved Trudi (Vince's wife) most. Her positivity was just what Vince needed during his confusion about gun possession. She stated it perfectly when she said,“Guns are not the answer to anything! And just because a lot of people are going along with something doesn’t make it right.” We'll always have people who will wrong us but it doesn't mean we have to seek revenge.

I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was written with an exquisite authentic feel as well as professionally edited. A science fiction/thriller fan will love the book. A person who is interested in topics like politics and social values will also enjoy the book. This was a great read.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ADE_96's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This is a nice and thorough review. I'm not sure if I would pick up this book, but I really enjoyed your description of it.
Nyamoita+okeri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nyamoita+okeri »

Wow nice review. It seduces someone to have more of the book to read
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:

Post by TashaCrispin »

CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:40 This is a nice and thorough review. I'm not sure if I would pick up this book, but I really enjoyed your description of it.
Thanks! Hope you find the next book I review, your kind of vibe.
Last edited by TashaCrispin on 04 Apr 2018, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:

Post by TashaCrispin »

Nyamoita+okeri wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 15:16 Wow nice review. It seduces someone to have more of the book to read
Thanks, dear. It's worth it.
Ritaobioma
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ritaobioma »

Another interesting one. This will make one want to die getting the book to read.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:

Post by TashaCrispin »

Ritaobioma wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 17:23 Another interesting one. This will make one want to die getting the book to read.
Thanks and you'll definitely love it. I see you've chosen the book...can't wait to read your opinions regarding it.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I read this book and enjoyed it very much. Vince and Trudi are awesome. I loved how the story unfolded and their role in it
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:

Post by TashaCrispin »

trajoe1206 wrote: 20 May 2018, 16:09 Thanks for the great review. I read this book and enjoyed it very much. Vince and Trudi are awesome. I loved how the story unfolded and their role in it
Thanks, Trajoe. Yeah, they are really great. I can't imagine the book without them.
0725690641Nyakundi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 0725690641Nyakundi »

Thanks hope you will find another book to review
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

The smartwatch idea is intriguing, but I've got some pretty strong opinions of my own on the topic of gun violence. So a novel about that includes those topics probably would;t be entertaining for me. Nice review though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”