Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

It seems obvious to me that if a character needs to curse to get their point across, it can serve purposes of character development and can also communicate an emotional reaction in a medium (books) which doesn't have the benefit of visual signals of emotion. Cursing can also be a function of the author's voice, and a clear signal as to what type of audience the author intends to write for. I think that if cursing offends some readers, of course, they have a right to make their distaste for that kind of thing known in their reviews. But so often you see these people literally pitching a hissy fit in their reviews, as though bad language somehow affects them in a way that amounts to a personal affront between them and the author. If bad language is that offensive to someone, they should probably stick to reading classic literature and books for children as they must take personal responsibility for their own emotions.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I don't mind a little bit. If there are cus words in every sentence it just makes the book sound trashy.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Joyziee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joyziee »

Using of strong language in books is somewhat kind of normal nowadays. Most of the readers are already adults. And, the cover page and the title is inviting when it comes to an adult.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

sophiemer642 wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 18:54 In the book, "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin, suggestive language is used in the book.

Should authors be restricted from using bad language in books?

Do you think explicit language in books encourages the increase of potty mouths?
I think too much suggestive language takes away from the story but I think it depends on the character - sometimes language reflects the way the character thinks or speaks and then I don’t mind it as long as it’s not excessive. Not that I am offended as much as I think it takes away from the story
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

Izesicle wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 15:22 I never agree with censorship so I don't think bad language should be banned from books. Besides, the potty mouths in real life are reflected in the bad language in books so it's the other way around.
This is my exact take on it. I personally never swear, but I strongly disagree with the censorship of art. If it serves a purpose, taking it away lessens the value and integrity of the piece.

Now, with freedoms come consequences. Using more adult language, for example, may diminish the demographic audience who would enjoy the book. That's totally fair. But having a specific story to tell is really not a bad thing in my estimation.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I don't think authors should have to worry about strong language. However, it should be used in appropriate places. If strong language is just thrown in "just because" it loses its value. When used to enhance character or value it is fine.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I don't see why books should be censored. People swear and use suggestive language in real life and in movies sometimes. As such, it is something we often encounter; it can be difficult to avoid. I don't believe strong language in books will encourage "potty mouths." A person's upbringing and social norms will influence how he/she speaks more than a book will. However, excessive cursing is unnecessary and unpleasant.
:techie-reference: :angry-cussingblack:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I agree that an overuse of profane language can deaden the impact that it has on the story, plot or character. Many people do talk like that in real life, which makes it realistic, but at the same time it doesn't make for the most enjoyable reading. Since writing is an art, a character's speech should be carefully crafted, and using the same curses frequently leaves me feeling like I ate an over-salted dinner.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think strong language can often be helpful because it contributes to the reality of the plot.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”