Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noctiluca
Currently Reading: wolf moon
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noctiluca.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Post by Noctiluca »

A dark read, indeed. Sounds like it will be great for scratching that particular itch. The vampire romance itch too, I suppose, haha! Thanks for the review, gives a lot more insight into the character of the book than the basic description gives.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

Dark, ambitious, corrupted... Sounds like politics. Just joking, but seriously I am intrigued with concept which this books research. Conflict between choice and nature may be interesting reading if it's as good written as review suggest.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the insightful review! I never imagined Eve would give in to her darker side! I won't be reading but the plot seems very interesting.
Sunguy
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sunguy »

"The author's character development and plot descriptions are impeccable. I felt I was right there with Eve throughout all her sorrows and troubling times. Her feelings were relatable to those who have had a rough childhood that leads to a tough adulthood, and is trying to find salvation"

This point in quoted out, really structures what some children pass through. I won't classify this part as fantacy but as reality.
This is to make parent focus on their children and show them more love, because love of a parent surpasses all other love from childhood.
BDTheresa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdtheresa.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BDTheresa »

The book cover is truly cativating. A fantasy horror thriller about witches and vampires, that's cool. Great review.
BDTheresa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdtheresa.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BDTheresa »

The book cover is truly captivating. A fantasy horror thriller about witches and vampires, that's cool. Great review.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I'm not a fan of dark reads, but the upshot seems to have convinced me otherwise. It is quite natural for parents to want their children to be better than them. I am not surprised that Eve's parents wanted to get her to change her mind, but going to such extremities is unimaginable. I believe they should have done a better job of understanding their daughter, as well as accepting her for who she is.
A concise but comprehensive review. Nice one.
tintinkie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tintinkie.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by tintinkie »

I already loaded the book as vampires and all things light fantasy intrigue me.

Your review does give me the feeling that it will be darker then I was expecting. You go into quite a bit of detail, which is but at the same time isn't spoiler alert. It is right there on the line. For which I admire your review.

A few tiny errors (but am writing on my phone so can't comment properly on that).

This review makes me want to read the book but this time with caution as you go on about the abuse. I am not really into reading about abuse.
Meaning, I would not have started reading this book had I read this review instead of the intro. (If that makes any sense)

Loved the warning and will keep it in mind!
Thanks
Tineke
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

It's been a while since I've read anything in the fantasy/supernatural genre. I like how you've described the book in a way that really humanizes the undead. I'll have to try it out.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

Great review. I am actually excited to read this one! Thanks for the thorough review. I love everything vampires and witches!
Sammi Arch
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Thanks for your review! I’m usually not a fan of vampire books so I might pass on this, though I’m intrigued by the protagonist’s inner battle, so.. I’m in the middle of my own inner battle. Read or not to read? :eusa-think:
Berry :wine:
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Eve, the main character, has magical powers but refuses to use them forcing her parents to subject her to extreme torture. This is really a wonderful dark fantasy read that I will be submerging myself into.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I really enjoy fantasy novels and I am glad the author made this story a bit darker. I also love that the characters have great development. Congrats on book of the day! Great review!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Power hungry witches, vampires, magical abilities comma and a paranormal love story despite the odds; it sounds like this book has a little bit of everything for those that enjoy the paranormal fantasy with a bit of a love story genre.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks for the in depth review. I started reading the first chapter. I did not get why she fell for Boaz so quickly and did not realize he must have known what her parents would do in retaliation. There was too much abuse, magic and violence for me to really enjoy reading this story.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”