Official Review: Mended Yet Broken by Michaelia Daubon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Mended Yet Broken by Michaelia Daubon

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mended Yet Broken" by Michaelia Daubon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Countless people find it difficult to deal with the effects of abuse they have experienced in the past. The lasting trauma that stems from abuse, especially sexual abuse, can be nearly impossible for many victims to address. In Mended Yet Broken: Journey to Healing and Wholeness, author Michaelia Daubon gives a personal account about the abuse she suffered during her childhood and what she has since learned on the path to restoration.

From a distinctly Christian angle, the author lays out a narrative that is often thought-provoking. For instance, she points out what happens to individuals who become masters at shutting off their emotions. She describes what forgiveness is for but also what it is not for, which is essential knowledge for victims of abuse. The perspective of women is the book’s apparent focus, with feminine references and examples that would largely appeal to women. Most of the chapters close with a moment of reflection, and the author wisely includes a bibliography at the end of the book, which is great for readers who’ll need further information.

Now, I likely would not recommend this book to someone who is brand new to Christianity or who is unfamiliar with Pentecostal Christian culture. Throughout the book, the author seems to take for granted that the reader will understand the spiritual phrases and metaphors she does not explain. For instance, what does it mean for the “fire of God” to “consume” people? Is it a punishment or a blessing? What does it mean for “the enemy” to use a “foothold” against someone? What is an “alabaster box of worship”? For a lot of people, not all biblical and spiritual expressions are well-known, everyday phrases.

Moreover, it is unlikely I would recommend this book to someone who is looking for an in-depth discussion on the subject of abuse or more of a step-by-step process to promote healing. The author brushes over some parts of her account with vague wording. In several places, she instructs the reader with generalizations instead of providing more detail for greater depth. Readers who would need a series of clear, progressive steps to follow might feel uncertain about where or how to begin applying this book’s information.

Nevertheless, sometimes people simply need to hear from someone who understands their pain and who can give them a foundation of gracious advice. This is the kind of book that can meet such a need. Therefore, I give Mended Yet Broken a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it as an introduction to healing from abuse, for female readers with solid Christian backgrounds.

Mended Yet Broken
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the title and books about emotional healing appeal to me. I agree that the author needs to be careful of using 'Christianese' without explaining the meaning.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This doesn't seem like a book I would read anytime soon, however I loved your review of it.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

teacherjh wrote: 15 May 2018, 23:12 I love the title and books about emotional healing appeal to me. I agree that the author needs to be careful of using 'Christianese' without explaining the meaning.
"Christianese" is one of the words in the back of my head when I run into cases of it. :D
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The book seems like it has a specific, unidirectional target readership. However, as you said, it could also appeal to all people who suffered some kind of abuse and feel the need to know somebody understands their pain. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The plot fascinated me, I thought that this was the book for me. Untill you said that you need to know Christian culture and Pentecostal. I am sure it is a good book, but for me it is too much I will have to skip.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad the author was able to take her past and turn it around to help others with something similar. It sounds like a great book with a wonderful perspective. Thanks for sharing this one with us. I don't think it's relevant for me, but it's good to keep in mind to recommend.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LarryPioquinto1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larrypioquinto1234.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by LarryPioquinto1234 »

To tell the world about a "dark past" will take courage. If the book is far from being perfect, I wouldn't mind!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I like the review, it is quite comprehensive giving a detailed summary and commentary of the book's content.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review! Normally this is not my kind of read, but now I want to add this book to my "to read" list. I agree that the author should have either refrained from Christian jargon or at least elaborated on it in order to connect with a larger audience. I was intrigued by the hint at what forgiveness is not. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

What a better way to give help to those in pain than to share your own experience with them. I agree that the author should not have used a lot of references from the bible without illustrating their meaning as this would be a challenge to the readers. Thanks for the review. Nice review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

NadineTimes10 wrote: 15 May 2018, 09:48 She describes what forgiveness is for but also what it is not for, which is essential knowledge for victims of abuse.
That's a really important point. I'm quite tempted by this book, even though I'm not that familiar with the Pentecostal tradition. Thanks for a balanced and detailed review.
Nireenity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nireenity.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nireenity »

You did a great job reviewing this book. Through your review, you were able to suggest the audiences that the book would be most suited to and that's always very helpful to someone looking for a good read. Thank you!
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

LarryPioquinto1234 wrote: 16 May 2018, 09:05 To tell the world about a "dark past" will take courage. If the book is far from being perfect, I wouldn't mind!
It certainly does take courage to put oneself "out there" that way. You never know who all is going to read it or what they'll think. I used to write more nonfiction, and it wasn't easy. :)
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

SamSim wrote: 16 May 2018, 11:08 I was intrigued by the hint at what forgiveness is not. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
You're welcome! Yes, her writing on forgiveness was my favorite part of the book--clear, detailed, and accessible.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”