Official Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A watch, lost moments and a lifetime of catching up, all these culminate together and end Anaya’s grueling life. A chance encounter with Gregory Augustine, Anaya’s patient, results in her time-travel back to her sixteen-year-old self. She now has a chance to relive life, a chance many never get.

She does not have to face the world alone, beside her are Kait and Tay, her high school best friends. Each day presents new possibilities and a chance for her to rewrite her own history. From romantic relationships, her struggle with bipolar disorder, her choice of a career and her relationship with her parents, Anaya has the opportunity to do everything her own way but with a mind of a thirty-five-year-old. It is like she is finally a step ahead of life. But as Anaya is yet to find out, there are things that cannot be cheated in life even with a watch that can turn back time and a relentless effort to undo past mistakes.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling is a thrilling book told in an enthralling yet elegant style. Every chapter reveals a different side of the story making it not only suspenseful but riveting. Anaya’s journey became increasingly captivating to me as different parts of her life unfolded. The brevity of the book makes it an easy and quick read. The plot was concise containing turns that kept me glued. G. M. T. Schuilling prowess is reflected in his ability to use simple language yet create an incredibly compelling read.

The underlying message of the book was by far the most impactful characteristic of The Watchmaker’s Doctor. At one point, Anaya remembers her relationship with her parents in her former years. Her lack of sympathy then, to what they had been facing, grieves her. The author, G. M. T. Schuilling, builds a storyline showcasing the importance of doing the best we can now. An opportunity to relive moments is rare and many times impossible.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor is for all readers. Anyone who longs to make every moment count and live each day as their last should read this book. According to Schuilling, so many instances in life go wasted and most often than not we settle for things that do not bring us happiness or any form of fulfillment. Life should be lived and not survived. I rate The Watchmaker’s Doctor 4 out of 4 stars. The profundity of the message is worth the rating.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Time travel and a good theme- sounds great. I love the cover.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Fascinating book. A teacher just lectured me about wasting my youth and how he regrets it. I liked that you said Anaya was "finally a step ahead of life". A very interesting read. Thank you for letting me know about it!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I love what you said at the end about living vs surviving! So true! In all the bills and responsibilities, there lies a life to be lived. This one sounds so good! My want to read shelf is overflowing! I don’t know if I would want to go back to high school even if I could as my age now. Glad that part of my life is behind me! Your review makes me wonder if there is any I would want to go back to. Hmmm...good job on this one!
Everything happens for a reason...
cparsley29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by cparsley29 »

this book brings out enjoyment in life
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Wonderful idea of time travel backward. Even though scientifically not possible today, it would have been great if possible. Short and sweet books are good to read as mentioned in review
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Okay, I was intrigued once I read that time travel was involved--it's always such an interesting trope :D And good plot and simple-but-effective language? Sounds like a great combination to me :)

Thank you for your review, you've really piqued my interest in this book!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The introduction is just amazing. It's true second chances hardly happen but in this story there is a chance to rebuild whatever was destroyed.
Michael james 20
Currently Reading: Wise and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Michael james 20 »

The book is way amazing and has good teaching to be applied for our day-to-day lives
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've thought many times about going back and reliving my teenage years over. What would I do? Would I change anything? So, to read a story such as this one would be quite interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

If we could have only done our childhood and teen years with the maturity and knowledge of our older selves. I have thought so many times how easily I could fly through college now.

I have to admit, your first sentence confused me. When you said it ended her grueling life I thought she died and I couldn't figure out how she had a chance encounter to go back in time if she was dead. Maybe that was just me having a ditzy moment.

I love time travel books and this sounds pretty cool. Even better since you gave it 4 stars!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, this one has all the markings of my kind of book! The fact that Anaya relives her teenage years with the mind of a thirty-five-year-old is the clincher for me. I love the fact that the author also stresses on the importance of doing what one can now, especially since the time-travel watch is pretty much nonexistent. Yet, I look forward to enjoying the imaginative ride it has to offer. Thanks for the spectacular review!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

That sounds like a very interesting concept. What would I do if I could go back to high school? What would I change? I might have to look at getting this one soon.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

EmunahAn wrote: 11 May 2018, 05:18Life should be lived and not survived.
So very true! It sounds like you really enjoyed this book. I don't usually like time-traveling but I've never read one where the character travels back within her own life. Thanks for the great review!
Elisha Muyimbwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elisha Muyimbwa »

Although I haven't read through I like time traveling and I think this will be a perfect book for me

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”