Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Re: Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Post by bootsie0126+ »

kfwilson6 wrote: 08 May 2018, 13:23 I think his tattoos really added to the intrigue that surrounded him. They made him even more unique and "dangerous." I don't think he would have been as widely recognized without the tattoos. I do agree with CatInTheHat though that they would have such a huge impact today.
I agree that his tattoos created a mysterious air to his performance. However, I must agree to disagree regarding him not being successful without the tattoos. It is true that the tattoos were attention getters. Humans are visual creatures by nature and it not unreasonable to assume that the tattoos served a purpose of drawing people in. On the other hand, I disagree that he would not have been successful without the tattoos. His outer appearance lured the crowds in but it was his skill and talent for performing this art that kept the people coming back. No matter what attracts people, the ability to keep and increase your audience is the success of your performance.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I think the tattoos add more credibility to his routines. It's like he is advertising the pain he has gone through to get the tattoos so, therefore, his sword-swallowing and escape routines are based on the "hard" man that he is and can't be tricks. He needs to look like the stereotypical circus performer and a bit of a rebel for the time. I would expect to see tattoos on him, in the same way, I would expect to see a tattoo artist with tattoos. Without them, I would doubt his genuine immersion in his craft.
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

Duke Reynolds would not have been memorable in the mind of his audience at the circus without the tattoos.
Believe me or not his audience thronged his shows at the circus not because they loved to watch him perform a fake act, but they were attracted to him by his tattoos.
The tattoos told a bigger story about his invisible character than his visible character.
Similarly, in today’s world people inwardly questions the character of those of whose arms or legs have tattoos.
Biblically, it’s spiritually and morally wrong to mark tattoos on the any part of one’s body.
Interestingly, in Africa, it’s also a taboo for one to mark tattoos on any part of the body.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Some people would be drawn to him because of his tattoos. I liked his ability to swallow swords. Learning about his personal life and his experiences made me like the character. So I feel the tattoo is a bonus.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

Duke Reynolds would not have been memorable in the mind of his audience at the circus without the tattoos.
Believe me or not his audience thronged his shows at the circus not because they loved to watch him perform a fake act, but they were attracted to him by his tattoos.
The tattoos told a bigger story about his invisible character than his visible character.
Similarly, in today’s world people inwardly questions the character of those of whose arms or legs have tattoos.
Biblically, it’s spiritually and morally wrong to mark tattoos on the any part of one’s body.
Interestingly, in Africa, it’s also a taboo for one to mark tattoos on any part of the body.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Maybe to a point, but with the tattoos we see a life story being told on his skin.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

holsam_87 wrote: 11 May 2018, 17:30 Maybe to a point, but with the tattoos we see a life story being told on his skin.
That is true because the first tattoo Duke got on his back depicted his life traveling. As the years went by, I'm sure the tattoos told a story. However, I do not believe that people came to see him perform because of his tattoos. Sure the tattoos were aluring to some people, but the tattoos did not keep people coming back to see him. This talent as a Sword Swallower was the head liner, his tattoos were the type man.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I think Duke's tattoos were a large part of his appeal. As it says in the book, the more acts you had in your repertoire, the more money you could potentially make. His versatility, including the tattoos and fire-breathing, gave extra depth to his character.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

For me as a reader, his personality is what makes him stand out. For Duke as a performer in this fictional story, his tattoos are probably a big part of why audience members recognize him. So, I guess it just depends on the situation.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 11 May 2018, 20:42
holsam_87 wrote: 11 May 2018, 17:30 Maybe to a point, but with the tattoos we see a life story being told on his skin.
That is true because the first tattoo Duke got on his back depicted his life traveling. As the years went by, I'm sure the tattoos told a story. However, I do not believe that people came to see him perform because of his tattoos. Sure the tattoos were aluring to some people, but the tattooxs did not keep people coming back to see him. This talent as a Sword Swallower was the head liner, his tattoos were the type man.
I don't think there was a lot of effort put forth to get audience members coming back. The circus was constantly moving so would have a new audience every night or couple of nights. I would not return to the circus in the same year. Maybe if the circus returned in subsequent years. I just can't see people attending the circus multiple times in the same season. Therefore I think it was mostly about attracting new audiences every show. So anything visual to attract attention would be important.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

joshfee77 wrote: 12 May 2018, 07:37 I think Duke's tattoos were a large part of his appeal. As it says in the book, the more acts you had in your repertoire, the more money you could potentially make. His versatility, including the tattoos and fire-breathing, gave extra depth to his character.
I this is evidenced by the woman who was tattooed from head to toe and that was all she was at the circus to do. She just showed off her tattoos and made up stories about their meaning. Duke was sort of secondary to her for that particular attraction.
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by llpwap »

I think the tattoos is what drew people to him. However, I think his personality and sense of humor is what made him the most memorable.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Jax14 wrote: 11 May 2018, 02:07 I think the tattoos add more credibility to his routines. It's like he is advertising the pain he has gone through to get the tattoos so, therefore, his sword-swallowing and escape routines are based on the "hard" man that he is and can't be tricks. He needs to look like the stereotypical circus performer and a bit of a rebel for the time. I would expect to see tattoos on him, in the same way, I would expect to see a tattoo artist with tattoos. Without them, I would doubt his genuine immersion in his craft.
This is an interesting take on it. I wouldn't have thought about it in that way. They do help him to fit the expectation for his particular career path. Especially when he tries to get into other stunts!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

CatInTheHat wrote: 08 May 2018, 12:07 I think that during his "hey-day," his tattoos would have really stood out. They are so common now that it would be different if he were in his prime now.
That makes sense. Body art is much more accepted now, although there are still some jobs that make you cover it up.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Duke's courage, determination and his stage personality all permit him to stand tall. His tattoos define who he is and they symbolically add to his daring, reckless persona and they make him all the more memorable.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”