Official Review: Grinder Hill by C.D. Shelton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Grinder Hill by C.D. Shelton

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grinder Hill" by C.D. Shelton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The words focused, resolute and level-headed could definitely define William Bobbitt, a youthful young man whose goal in life is to live better and not just settle for average. Unfortunately, his life is not as exhilarating as he would have wanted it to be owing to his weight. Categorised as obese, William, mostly known as Billy Bob, is limited in his choices. For starters, his crush Joyce Tilly does not seem to even notice him. She seems happy and content in the arms of Joe Brett, the class bully. He can only hope that one day he will master the courage and approach her.

Everything changes when Billy Bob meets his long-time friend, Tommy Suzuki. Tommy like Billy, was once overweight. When Billy Bob meets him again, he is surprised by how much weight his friend has lost. It is then that Tommy reveals his experiences while attending a Dr. Fugita’s seminars. Billy Bob joins his friend in these seminars and takes up cycling. This marks the start of a new life of opportunities. He starts paying attention to his diet and with time, he witnesses the results. Joe Brett, on the other hand, is not too happy with Billy Bob’s progress and he is not ready to sit around and watch him succeed.

Grinder Hill by C.D. Shelton chronicles the life of Billy Bob, highlighting his journey with weight loss and resulting achievements. The author manages to develop the plot while including informative facts about obesity and ways it can be combated. The sub-plots which include other characters such as Joyce Tilly and Joe Brett provide other interesting facets of the book beyond the weight loss information.

I thought the main character’s achievements provided an outlook of possible incentives that would get a reader to lose weight. Billy Bob’s life gradually changes for the better as he loses more weight. Even though his life was meaningful initially, at the end he is able to broaden his viewpoint of life and achieve better health.

Unfortunately, I felt that the antagonist’s position was not well developed. Joe Brett barely appears throughout the plot and beyond his continued loathe for Billy Bob, there is not much that can be said about him.

Grinder Hill also contains too many aspects of repetition in narration. In some instances, the happenings of one scene were retold a couple of times which made the story a bit dull. Still, there are points in the book that contained suspenseful moments, though not many. Overall, the book’s content was educative. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Grinder Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks very much for your review! Sadly it seems like this would be a pass for me, as I am not a fan of flatter characters. I’m sure, with some fine-tuning, it would be much better.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

Its not easy dealing with bullies especially if it concerns your weight. personally I had the same problem, people always want to see what they want to see in you neglecting how you feel about yourself. I can relate with this book as Billy Bob don't just sit down waiting for a miracle to happen but going out there doing what is possible to bring back his health. I would love to read how he did it. Thanks for the detailed review.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book sounds more like non-fiction than fiction as if the author has first hand knowledge of peer pressure and not being accepted by ones own crowd. I’m assuming this is high school? Bullying and being unfairly judged seem to go hand and glove at this age, but it sounds like the author is trying to educate the masses on how to change the tide toward better health and standing up for oneself. My question is: why would the main character even want a girl who is already in love with such an awful person? Love is blind. Nice job on this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for your review - for me the educational aspect would just be an added irritant if the rest of the book wasn't that great.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I don't think this is my type of book, but I like how it talks about losing weight in a healthy manner. So many times people want to take short cuts. I am curious how the good doctor's seminar helped in this process.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I liked your review very much. The book seems my type, having a little weight problem myself. I am glad it passes a simple weight book and becomes an actual story with interesting characters. Thank you for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm unsure about this book. A book completely focused on a boy's weight and the only thing that changes his life is losing weight. I'm just not sure that's the message we should be sending. Thanks for this review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I love repetition in poetry, can't stand it in prose.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think I could relate to many themes in this book.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I was getting excited with the prospect of some good, old teenage rivalry and drama, but if the antagonist turned out so flat, the drama pretty much dies. I doubt I'd relate much to a story whose theme is totally centered on weight loss, it sounds more like an educational book than other fiction. Thanks for the clarifications.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

As a reporter at media desk,i have read this book over and over ,i think what make this book unique is it is written from health view,a hand book for people suffering obesity.Grinder Hill written by CD Shelton is a tale of energatic and hopeful yound man William Bobitt aka Billy Bob,Billy had a bright future, to live his life the way it suit him,unfortunately things did work out as supposed due ill health for he was suffering from obesity this encourage his test for different foods.And when he met Timmy Suzuki his trusted friend twice not liking his health situation introduced him to Dr Fugita serminar where he gained sign of recoverying by joining him and taking up cycling.A gallant review,the author perhaps is a medical personel,his use of medical knowledge map him out among his equals,the reviewer frown at his repitation of words and incoherants contained in the story rating it 3-4star,having interest in this book i recomment to clinic,hospital,to crown it all,people suffering the condition like Billy Bob
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Too bad about the poorly developed secondary characters. It seems like this book might find an interested following in struggling youth today. Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Generally, I'm for any book with characters who choose a healthy lifestyle when looking for balance in their lives. I'm curious though, is this one of those books that leads the reader to believe that losing weight is the key to happiness and success in life? You know the type--lose weight and you'll win the girl and get the job you always wanted, then live happily ever after. I hate those books. I'm also not fond of repetitive descriptions, so this might not be a book for me. But I'm glad for the review!
Maina Kevin92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maina Kevin92 »

This book could serve better if it helped give a simple breakdown of the weight loss process from the initial internal drive to the daily struggles if maintaining the necessary discipline needed to achieve the set weight loss goals.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”