Book of the Day Repeats

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Book of the Day Repeats

Post by kfwilson6 »

I was quite surprised that today's BOTD is one I have already encountered and not even been a member for 3 months. I'm not sure how the BOTD is chosen but it seems like it would be more beneficial to the group of authors if the books didn't get repeated quite so close together (maybe at least a 6 month gap). It would also be beneficial to readers who are looking for new book suggestions, as we don't want to keep seeing the same book.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 May 2018, 11:19 I was quite surprised that today's BOTD is one I have already encountered and not even been a member for 3 months. I'm not sure how the BOTD is chosen but it seems like it would be more beneficial to the group of authors if the books didn't get repeated quite so close together (maybe at least a 6 month gap). It would also be beneficial to readers who are looking for new book suggestions, as we don't want to keep seeing the same book.
I agree. There are so many books out there, why would you even need to repeat. New books are being published every day!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's based on what authors are willing and desiring to share either full books or samples for free or at a deeply reduced cost.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I totally agree with the O.P. I've been here less than a year, myself, and already I've seen SEVERAL books that have been BotD twice or even more.

Add to that that it sometimes makes it easy for the mods to miss stuff when doing the Giveaway verifications. I recently had an entry discounted because the mod couldn't find my Pinterest entry; the issue was that it had been BotD two months before so they had to scroll way down to find it, which they didn't do. Now, even if a book has already been BotD, I re-Pin it. But I also re-comment on the Review and if I've commented 3 times already, I'm at a loss as to what else to say. Yet I don't want to chance being disqualified cuz the mod didn't check for earlier comments.

Sorry to hijack the thread! But the point is, in addition to giving us readers NEW books to check out, it makes it easier to keep up with making sure our BotD entries are correct and not missed.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

MsTri wrote: 14 May 2018, 15:36 I totally agree with the O.P. I've been here less than a year, myself, and already I've seen SEVERAL books that have been BotD twice or even more.

Add to that that it sometimes makes it easy for the mods to miss stuff when doing the Giveaway verifications. I recently had an entry discounted because the mod couldn't find my Pinterest entry; the issue was that it had been BotD two months before so they had to scroll way down to find it, which they didn't do. Now, even if a book has already been BotD, I re-Pin it. But I also re-comment on the Review and if I've commented 3 times already, I'm at a loss as to what else to say. Yet I don't want to chance being disqualified cuz the mod didn't check for earlier comments.

Sorry to hijack the thread! But the point is, in addition to giving us readers NEW books to check out, it makes it easier to keep up with making sure our BotD entries are correct and not missed.
You need to re-pin the book even if you pinned it before.

One only needs to comment again on the review if his first comment didn't meet the requirements.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

MsTri wrote: 14 May 2018, 15:36 I totally agree with the O.P. I've been here less than a year, myself, and already I've seen SEVERAL books that have been BotD twice or even more.

You can hijack my thread any time you are agreeing with me! I actually asked the question about re-pinning on the help forum because I couldn't figure out how to re-pin. I already lost all my entries one time and didn't want to risk that again! Isn't the goal to get exposure for the book and author? If so, by participating in the book of the day the first time we see it as book of the day, we have done our part to meet that goal. It can be hard to find multiple things to post when you are doing multiple social media and you have to comment on the same book more than one time. We don't want to be redundant, but when it's a book we aren't even interested in, we may not want to keep commenting on it. Don't mean to complain, just giving the perspective from our side of things.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 May 2018, 11:32

You can hijack my thread any time you are agreeing with me! I actually asked the question about re-pinning on the help forum because I couldn't figure out how to re-pin. I already lost all my entries one time and didn't want to risk that again! Isn't the goal to get exposure for the book and author? If so, by participating in the book of the day the first time we see it as book of the day, we have done our part to meet that goal. It can be hard to find multiple things to post when you are doing multiple social media and you have to comment on the same book more than one time. We don't want to be redundant, but when it's a book we aren't even interested in, we may not want to keep commenting on it. Don't mean to complain, just giving the perspective from our side of things.
In order to Re-Pin, you just do what you do to pin, and when it says it's already pinned, ignore that warning and do it again.

And you are SO right about the comments! Even though gali said we don't have to re-comment on the review, we DO have to re-comment on FaceBook and LinkedIn if we want those entries, so yeah; it becomes real hard to come up with something new by the 3rd time.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”