Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by rik17 »

NL Hartje wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:05
kops wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 09:07 am conviced that most ladies dont fall in love but instead are materialistic and money-motivated
Ehhh, you might want to steer away from these sweeping generalizations in a forum full of women :lol2:
In fact generalizations shouldn't be applied anywhere. I think it's good if one is motivated by money. At the very least the person is realistic and comprehends ground realities. Everybody needs money and it's nothing wrong as long as you're not killing or breaking bones.

But also affairs have extreme linkages to ground circumstances. Motivations can be tons of things. Money, depression, loneliness, lust, revolt, importance, security .....alright i'm done.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

rik17 wrote: 01 May 2018, 23:03
kops wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 09:07 am conviced that most ladies dont fall in love but instead are materialistic and money-motivated
Ehhh, you might want to steer away from these sweeping generalizations in a forum full of women :lol2:
In fact generalizations shouldn't be applied anywhere. I think it's good if one is motivated by money. At the very least the person is realistic and comprehends ground realities. Everybody needs money and it's nothing wrong as long as you're not killing or breaking bones.
In fact* :lol2: I believe most sociologists would argue there is great need for appropriate generalizations in studying the science of societies. They provide foundation for understanding.

If you encounter new people with a “blank slate,” it will take months (or years) of formulating new generalizations and revising them to figure out the people. However, if, for example, someone tells you ahead of time that these are a time-conscious, versatile people, then you have a starting place to work from.

This starting place forms the foundation for understanding a culture that is new to you. All of your experiences filter through the generalizations, and you then build your understanding off of them.

In contrast to your statement, however, I do NOT believe there is “nothing wrong” with getting money in any way that doesn’t involve “killing or breaking bones.” I believe the very definition of exchanging sex for money is defined as “wrong” by our society.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

NL Hartje wrote: 02 May 2018, 00:29
rik17 wrote: 01 May 2018, 23:03

In fact* :lol2: I believe most sociologists would argue there is great need for appropriate generalizations in studying the science of societies. They provide foundation for understanding.

If you encounter new people with a “blank slate,” it will take months (or years) of formulating new generalizations and revising them to figure out the people. However, if, for example, someone tells you ahead of time that these are a time-conscious, versatile people, then you have a starting place to work from.

This starting place forms the foundation for understanding a culture that is new to you. All of your experiences filter through the generalizations, and you then build your understanding off of them.

In contrast to your statement, however, I do NOT believe there is “nothing wrong” with getting money in any way that doesn’t involve “killing or breaking bones.” I believe the very definition of exchanging sex for money is defined as “wrong” by our society.
The very fact that the culture is new to me denotes that it is not generalized, because in some way, it is actually 'new'. You can posit that generalization acts as foundation, but it is never the conclusion, and my argument was directly in relevance to the CONCLUSION.

The society has been defining sex for money as 'wrong' since the time it had no clue that the Earth is round, yet a solution is still not in cards. What can correct this 'wrong'? Better jobs for such women? Eradication of man's urge to have sex in unethical terms? Cut demand, supply becomes useless.

The very fact that supply is still there means society creates what it needs.

If killing would have been as frequent as sex for money, mankind would have been history by now. It's a matter of social significance.
Cenk
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cenk.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Cenk »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 09:31 Honestly, I think that extramarital affairs are probably about the same throughout time. There's always been adults who target teenagers, it was just less heard of in the past. A teenage girl who sleeps with an older gentleman would be quickly swept under the carpet, otherwise she wouldn't be eligible for marriage. I do think we hear about it more now though. The teens who have these extramarital affairs with adults aren't ostracized, they are taken to therapy, they get the help they need; and adults who have participated with the teens get sentenced to jail time, removed from their jobs, etc. And with all that happening, news outlets get hold of the story and report on it.
I agree 100%. Extramarital affairs have always been, and shall always be. Just the society's approach and the individuals' ultimate fates have changed.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I was just reading about the French President, Emanuel Macron, and his wife who is 25 years his senior and used to be his drama teacher at school. I think younger men with older women are less common, but both have been going on for a long time.
Cenk
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cenk.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Cenk »

Women, with regard to sex, age more rapidly than men. They lose fertility about the age of 50. They lose their sexappeal after menopause. Though it is said that men undergo andropause, it is not as well-understood and abrupt as that of women. That is why it is usually the middle-aged man dating with a young lolita. Oh, of course, it must be stated that young females frequently date a man for his money, which is rather uncommon vice versa.
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carneysm50 »

I believe these happenings have always been an issue the only difference in now and then is we hear more about it now because of mass media and the thirst for family drama by the public.
Christianojeanya007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christianojeanya007 »

Yes it has been happening,and its still happening,right from the 50s till date the only difference is just the social media,the internet making it go viral, then it seems as if its happening only in our time,back in the 50s it has been happening,just that no much way of it going public,and families making it confidential,because of their reputation....
But teenage extramarital affairs has never been a new thing,its been happening way back the 50s
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Teenage extra marital affairs has always been the theme since time immemorial. The cases have however increased over the years due to freedom and lack of morals in the current society.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

In the 50s teenagers who involved themselves in extra marital affairs were discrete because it was a taboo that's why the cases were less. In 2018 the cases are allover the place majorly due to social media influence.
aks9120
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by aks9120 »

I believe that it is believable that an affair like Natalie's could happen in that time period. I believe and have read stories and know people who prove the basis for my opinion. In the 50's and decades around then,affairs happened, even with much younger people. There were not statutory rape laws in as many places and in some places it was normal to marry young and to someone older.some of our great grandparents married at 13. It was not talked about as much back then though when there was an affair that wasnt approved by the community. If a girl got pregnant out of wedlock she was sent away until she had her baby then gave it up for adoption or it was raised as a younger sibling. Now it is common and talked about.people stopped covering it up.i believe that is the biggest difference.i do believe that it happened frequently in the past but the embarrassment it would bring the families prevented everyone from mentioning it.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I think this is probably a human occurrence that basically happens anywhere you look in history. That painting of the young wife kicking her slipper over the hedge to her lover as her older husband pushes her on a swing comes to mind. ('The Swing' >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swing_(painting)) It's from the 1700's

Also it's worth noting that "teenager" hasn't really been a concept in a lot of societies throughout history, socially you kind of jumped from being a child to being a marriageable (and thus potentially adulterous, I guess) adult in your teens without the transitory period we have now. You'd still have all the hormones of the teenage years, so I would absolutely bet that this sort of situation would still happen.
Taytae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytae.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Taytae »

I think it about the same. We just hear about it more because the teens don't really have any to worry about compared the adults. Example of that would be that back when I was a senior in highschool, there was a guy had sex and sext with the dance teacher. He was the one who told about it. He was proud about it and share everything in mass text the football team. Nothing happened to the student or the teacher because the age of consent is 16 in my state. But even if he was underage, nothing would happen to him other than getting sent to therapy. Sleeping with a older person before marriage does not ruin your life these days.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

Actually, you have to remember that in the 1950s there was a lot more fear about young people getting in over their heads with sex and individual freedom. Cars had finally become a common thing to own and teens were able to find some of their only breathing room away from teachers and parents inside the cab. Before, people had assumed that kids that age can stay just as innocent as they were when they were children, but the 50s saw that illusion breaking down for a number of reasons. Also, the book Lolita was published in 1953, so clearly the girl/man relationship was of some interest then.
richa1706
Currently Reading: What Color Is Your Parachute?
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richa1706.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by richa1706 »

I think it's more prominent now.With nuclear families and children staying away from home for study purpose,it's alot more easier now to have such relationships.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”