Official Review: In The Beginning by Craig A Mims

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: In The Beginning by Craig A Mims

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In The Beginning" by Craig A Mims.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Few phrases are more easily recognized or loaded with meaning than the title of Craig A. Mims's book, In the Beginning. In 108 standard pages, Mims explores the details and delves deep into the theological lessons present in the creation narrative of the Holy Bible. Although the creation of the world is one of the most frequently debated topics between Christians and secularists, this book is not a defense of creation but a study that presupposes that the Biblical text is true. This perspective may deter readers who do not agree with the author's beliefs but for anyone curious about the Christian perspective, this book is a well written, clear, and in-depth look into not only the creation story but the character and attributes of the God who made all things.

This study focusses on the purpose of creation rather than science. Mims works through the creation story slowly and carefully, exploring the account from a fresh perspective. Where many Sunday school lessons and sermons simply teach the story as a history lesson, Mims presents numerous cross-references that relate back to the creation narrative, providing further insight and supporting the understanding of God's sovereign plan.

One aspect of creation I had not considered before reading this book is the creation of time. While some of the author's statements were clearly speculative, I enjoyed thinking through the implications of the passages cited. For me, this added a layer of depth to the mystery of God and His ways that I am sure I will ponder over and over. I also greatly appreciate the number of verses and passages that were written out in the text of the book. This made it much easier to read through the book as I did not need to stop and look up references to verify the author's statements.

The greatest weakness in this book was undoubtedly the editing. For a short book, there were clearly far too many errors such as incorrect verb tenses or incorrect articles. These were not really problematic to reading and enjoying the book's content, but did decrease the overall quality. The length of the background information concerning Moses and the writing of the book of Genesis seemed a bit excessive to me, but I can understand the purpose behind it. After a slow start, the rest of the book remains focused and engaging.

I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am disappointed that I am unable to give it a perfect score because of the editing. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to take an in-depth look at the Biblical creation narrative. This book would work well for both personal and group study.

In The Beginning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This sounds like a fresh take on the creation story. I've always been intrigued about the concept of time and I'm quite curious on how the author explains it. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like that the author included the biblical references. This sounds like an interesting book and I'd be curious to know if Mims is a Bible scholar or simply someone with a passion for learning about God and creationism. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like an intriguing treatise on a familiar subject. I'm glad you wrote that the author begins with the premise that the Biblical account is true. I really enjoyed reading your review and may give this book a try. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There are definitely some deep questions when you start thinking about how exactly creation happened. What day was time created? I love books like this that will make you think! Thanks for telling us about this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Intriguing. I love pondering the idea of God being outside of time. This sounds like an insightful book.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I liked the way you presented the book. And it seems like a unique perspective. I like that it adds the element of time to the creation. Unfortunately, I am not a believer, but I can enjoy a good review.
semongojel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by semongojel »

Wow so interesting to read as its layout gives me a lot of insight.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I like how the author talks about God's attributes that go along with the creation. That is something unique to this type of book. Good review.
Jtr65
Currently Reading: The expansion
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jtr65 »

Sounds like a very good read. Can't wait to develop into its pages to read what the author has to say. You can always learn something about Biblical truth even after reading and studying it 1000 times over.
momschellsr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momschellsr.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by momschellsr »

Very interesting review of this book. It sounds like it gives way to another way of thinking about creation that others my or may not have thought. I am a Christian and anything that makes a person see the glorious works of our Lord, makes me happy.
Thank you for making this book sound very interesting and a good book to read.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Thanks for all those great comments! Sorry I can’t reply to everyone individually but I am so glad so many people found this review useful. You guys made my day.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow!!! I have a passion for the Creator and creation. I will definitely add this to my reading list. Thank you for your thorough review.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Sounds like it could be a really interesting read; adding in theological perspectives to the historical aspect is a neat take... so unfortunate that it was poorly edited :(
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review, the addition of theology to the historical aspect of the novel is very intriguing and has piqued my interest. However, it is a pity that it is sore need of editing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”